Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

I'm in Bang Yai between Rattana tibet and Rama 5. We're in a little Moo Ban of joined together houses and over the last 5 days or so the water has been slowly but steadily rising about 15-20cms each day. It's now about a metre high in the moo ban sois. We're concreted in over the front door, bathroom and kitchen at the back. There's no rushing water, just dreadfully slow rising.

The soi connecting Kanchanapisek has had similar rising water as well and is now about 1-2 feet up over the road in most places. The little market, Prarpensarm is waist high with all the shops and 7/11's closed for days - they ran out of food last week.

The main klongs and river are full with water travelling pretty fast to wards Bkk.

Needless to say all of last week's sandbagging in the moo bahn and school have amounted to nothing

I'm heartened (although with fair and due trepidation) to hear Robblok say his water has slowed it's rise. Actually Robblok, I really appreciate your contributions on this forum, as we're, (oh god this is terrible <_< ) stuck in the same boat, so to speak.

As callous as this sounds, I wish the water would just start moving anywhere else, so at least we can all "feel" some progress toward this being over.

All the best everyone, and if you're dry, good for you, I hope you stay so. We're not, but we're certainly not as bad as many.

It's the uncertainty and waiting that's most frustrating for me

Edited by weka

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Bang Yai between Rattana tibet and Rama 5. We're in a little Moo Ban of joined together houses and over the last 5 days or so the water has been slowly but steadily rising about 15-20cms each day. It's now about a metre high in the moo ban sois. We're concreted in over the front door, bathroom and kitchen at the back. There's no rushing water, just dreadfully slow rising.

The soi connecting Kanchanapisek has had similar rising water as well and is now about 1-2 feet up over the road in most places. The little market, Prarpensarm is waist high with all the shops and 7/11's closed for days - they ran out of food last week.

The main klongs and river are full with water travelling pretty fast to wards Bkk.

Needless to say all of last week's sandbagging in the moo bahn and school have amounted to nothing

I'm heartened (although with fair and due trepidation) to hear Robblok say his water has slowed it's rise. Actually Robblok, I really appreciate your contributions on this forum, as we're, (oh god this is terrible <_< ) stuck in the same boat, so to speak.

As callous as this sounds, I wish the water would just start moving anywhere else, so at least we can all "feel" some progress toward this being over.

All the best everyone, and if you're dry, good for you, I hope you stay so. We're not, but we're certainly not as bad as many.

You are right its the uncertainty, you still face rising waters not knowing when it will stop. I was going crazy at that time. Now that it looks like the water has stabilized here (i am in contact with other people of Thai visa who live around here) and they all say the same water is either rising really slow or stabilizing.

Then you can make up a balance of how much its all going to cost to replace, and what can be saved. At that point you just have to wait for the water to recede, however long that might take. That is far less bad then seeing water rise. You could even head out of town and do a holiday while you wait. (if you have the money and time and no dogs like me)

Here in Talingchan, Toongmankorn we are still dry but the Mahasawat canal has now flooded the entire area on it's northern side at Thanon Suan Phak 32. I was there yesterday on the bike and there was no water on the back road all the way to Home Pro (Ratchapruk). Now at least 1m. The canal is now starting to breach the southern side. Southern bus station is about 4km away from the canal for those not familiar with the area.

Just went out shopping at Lotus (On Nut BTS). No sign of water anywhere except in the klong where it should be. Shelves were a little scarce--no water, obviously, but plenty of cokes and other sodas, canned potato chips, deli meats, bread, milk, juices. Dried noodle soups were low, but plenty of beer. Sukhumvit 93 was clear well into the Phung Mii area as was On Nut at the Sukhumvit end.

You are right its the uncertainty, you still face rising waters not knowing when it will stop. I was going crazy at that time. Now that it looks like the water has stabilized here (i am in contact with other people of Thai visa who live around here) and they all say the same water is either rising really slow or stabilizing.

Then you can make up a balance of how much its all going to cost to replace, and what can be saved. At that point you just have to wait for the water to recede, however long that might take. That is far less bad then seeing water rise. You could even head out of town and do a holiday while you wait. (if you have the money and time and no dogs like me)

Hi My house is in pak kret. I got out but we get twice daily reports about our village. The water is still below the low power sockets, but the water is about 25 deep now in the house. Not too bad but enough to damage my kitchen and some other stuff. The level has been fairly constant the last two days. It went from about 15-cm up to 25 cm (to the first step on the staircase. It varies a bit with the tide. Will look forward to it dropping soon, or at least not getting higher. The water is definitely racing towards BKK at a rapid rate.

Thanks for your kind words robblok.

We've now decided to abandon ship. We're going up to Korat, not sure where, but wifes sister has a friend who has a friend who owns a resort.

What worries me now is, what will we come back to?

Good luck to you Robblok, and all you others in a similar situation.

We've now decided to abandon ship. We're going up to Korat, not sure where, but wifes sister has a friend who has a friend who owns a resort.

I got out too. Just move as much as possible upstairs to minimise damage. I was so nervous before the flood - checking the klong everyday and worrying about it. After the water came we left. When you know you can't control it you can accept things better. Believe me you will feel much better when you are out of there. Now I can enjoy life a little - have water, power, food. Hopefully there won't be too many flow on effects to other non flooded areas, re: food supplies.

I'm also concerned about the damage, but moreso how long it will take my house to become liveable again. The smell will take ages to get out and will take many days to clean up.

Yes that is the worst not knowing how much more will be damaged. Just get as much as possible higher. Maybe ask other people to help. Then leave, if someone has a Thai style kitchen just rip the cupboards out (the ones below the sink) usually they are not that strong and they are just wooden fronts. But they are expensive to buy new.. getting them out should not damage them too much. I did it without damage.

For those leaving.. good luck. For those staying i wish the same.

Hat Tai Rat/Ek Burapa school

Just got an email from a friend at the above location, I think he's soi 26, almost opposite the school. He tells me the school is flooded and the lower roads starting to flood. Didnt give any depths but his soi into the moobarn is not yet flooded so obviously not deep as yet. He has been told to expect the floods by 2 to 3 pm.

take care everybody.

Anyone go through asok / prom pong area this evening? They were sending only 1 sky train per 4/5 mins which resulted in a 'people' flood. Nightmarish

I'm planning on taking a taxi there from Union Mall about 4:00 a.m. tomorrow. The Villa Supermarket there is open 24 hours, and I'm hoping that Villa and other farang supermarkets won't be as hard hit by the panic buying. I can report back on Rachada-Pisek and Sukhumvit between Asoke & Phrom Pong then.

I left shortly before 6:00 a.m. from Union Mall to Villa Supermarket (Soi 33-ish) on Sukhumvit.

Traffic was fine. There was no sign of flooding.

The only clue that something was amiss was the sandbags in front of Villa.

Farang canned goods like Hormel chili were gone (or I couldn't find it). Local beans were in stock. Two liter bottles of milk were on hand, as were small bottles of drinking yoghurt and lots of cheese and the pricey sliced meats. And, of course, Villa sells alcohol at any time of day.

Skytrain seemed normal, and the subway seemed a little less crowded from Sukhumvit to Phaholyothin.

The ATM at the P H MRT still had cash.

Internet banking payments and transfers (with Siam Commercial Bank and Bangkok Bank) all have gone through as scheduled.

I'll check on Tesco Lad Prao and Tops (Central Lad Prao and Union Mall) and other Villas (Rachoyothin & Ari). Villa Soi 8 on Phahon Yothin might be better stocked because it's not near BTS and it just seems that most people would go to Ari now.

I was in Villa Ari yesterday at 2pm. Most of the usual stuff had sold out. There was no water (apart from small bottles of Perrier). I managed, however, to get sliced bread (the expensive French bakery brand). Cornflakes and Frosties none. I bought the last 10 cans of Schweppes tonic. Some types of Campbell's soups had completely gone. Generally, stocks were very low, and the place was busy with "panic-buying". Of course, there was plenty of wine.

Central Lad Prao has Krispy Kreme doughnuts (good for medicating spouses w/ PMS) and it's business as usual.

Tops had some water. Evian instead of Perrier. Oh, wow. But, they did have canned juices, lots of soy milk, even Hormel chile (pork, vegetarian, turkey) and the bakery is open.

A neighbor (if I understood her correctly) was returning from Tesco and said that there was water there but not much and was probably already gone.

My school has delayed it's opening a second time, and my boss is leaving Bangkok. Another sign? Where is Mel Gibson when you need him? Maybe we should start wearing hats made of tinfoil.

Just got an email from a friend at the above location, I think he's soi 26, almost opposite the school. He tells me the school is flooded and the lower roads starting to flood. Didnt give any depths but his soi into the moobarn is not yet flooded so obviously not deep as yet. He has been told to expect the floods by 2 to 3 pm.

take care everybody.

That is next to a khlong, right?

Here? http://g.co/maps/evf8y

Thaiflood Bangkok map (with postings) said that water reached Thai Air offices on Vipavadi Rd at 12.30. The main Thai Air office complex is a long way south of Don Muang and is near Central Lad Prao.

If that is true, it has now gone PAST Central Lad Prao (presuming the poster is talking about the main offices near St John's School).

If the above is correct, it will be on the way to Chatuchak and even Sutthisan.

Can anybody confirm or otherwise please?

Eddy

take care everybody.

Yes thats right, Klong Samwa I believe. Cant remember if he is soi 22 or 26 but thats the general area.

I am due to fly out of Sydney on Sunday 30 Oct, at 1945 hrs with an ETA in BKK of approx 0100 hrs. Then I have an Air Asia flight booked about 0600 hrs to go to Chiangmai to see my thai GF and our son. I have 2 weeks break up my sleeve. I have not been back for more than a year. But if I was to get stuck in BKK for a prolonged period it could very quickly maul me quite badly financially (small beer compared to the suffering of many people in Thailand already I realize) However, what's the chance of Suvarnabhumi Airport being rendered inoperable this weekend, or in a fortnights time ? Anyone feel they can confidently speculate about the chances of this happening ? What, with the imminent tidal surge I hear about, possible power outages, road blockages and whatever else. Any sensible thoughts appreciated.

I am due to fly out of Sydney on Sunday 30 Oct, at 1945 hrs with an ETA in BKK of approx 0100 hrs. Then I have an Air Asia flight booked about 0600 hrs to go to Chiangmai to see my thai GF and our son. I have 2 weeks break up my sleeve. I have not been back for more than a year. But if I was to get stuck in BKK for a prolonged period it could very quickly maul me quite badly financially (small beer compared to the suffering of many people in Thailand already I realize) However, what's the chance of Suvarnabhumi Airport being rendered inoperable this weekend, or in a fortnights time ? Anyone feel they can confidently speculate about the chances of this happening ? What, with the imminent tidal surge I hear about, possible power outages, road blockages and whatever else. Any sensible thoughts appreciated.

I live near Ban Thab Chang Railway (inside Rom Klao/King Kaew rds) - not too far from suvarnabhumi. (All dry here so far - have to water the garden)

In quick answer - the dike built to protect the airport was 3m originally, AOT raised it last week to 3.5m with additional sandbags, and tested all their pumps. Basically - as far as water coming from the east goes (Hok Wa collapsing) - I have a 3m barrier, and Suvarnabhumi has 3.5 - will be surprised if it breaches their wall, and should remain accessible due to the elavated highway.

Cheers

The odds of the airport being fully closed is probably very small as it is a high priorty location and there is a relatively new network of dikes and levees around it. Since you won't need to leave the airport, you don't need to worry about what surface roads in the city are open. Having said that, the official info is so unreliable here that it is hard to predict anything. The most accurate and up to date info I have seen so far has been this forum thread. I'd just keep monitoring it closely, get to Chiang Mai if at all possible as scheduled and worry about 2 weeks from now in about a week and a half.

I am due to fly out of Sydney  on Sunday 30 Oct, at 1945 hrs with an ETA in BKK of approx 0100 hrs. Then I have an Air Asia flight booked about 0600 hrs to go to Chiangmai to see my thai GF and our son. I have 2 weeks break up my sleeve. I have not been back for more than a year.  But if I was to get stuck in BKK for a prolonged period it could very quickly maul me quite badly financially (small beer compared to the suffering of many people in Thailand already I realize) However, what's the chance of Suvarnabhumi Airport being rendered inoperable this weekend, or in a fortnights time ? Anyone feel they can  confidently speculate about the chances of this happening ? What, with the imminent tidal surge I hear about, possible power outages, road blockages and whatever else. Any sensible thoughts appreciated.

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty that the airport will remain functional, although as a critical facility you would assume that the authorities would make every effort to protect it.

How about flying to Singapore instead and taking a direct flight to Chiangmai from there?

take care everybody.

Yes thats right, Klong Samwa I believe. Cant remember if he is soi 22 or 26 but thats the general area.

I cannot be 100% sure, but Im pretty certain that Ek Burapa school is actually in Thanon Samwa, maybe 200m up from Suwintawong Road (sp?) - which is ALOT different from being in Soi 26 of Hat Thai Rat!!

I drove up near there at 1.30pm today (from Suwintawong, near Big C, up Hat Thai Rat) - some flooding about 30cm at this 3-way junction, and inside some of the sois to the left and right on Hat Thai Rat (HTR). The flooding now extends about 3-200m into HTR, whereas 2 days ago it was just at the junction.

From what I know, this water is coming from the drains overflowing, similar to further along Suwintawong (where BigBike had a video 2 days ago).

I also think JackRyan (?) lives near this area, so he can probably update later also.

I also looked at lunchtime at Klong Saen Saep - less than 1m from the top of the embankments. Minburi near the market has now got some minor flooding, but again this seems to be from drains.

The gates on Hat Thai Mit (between HTR and Nimitmai) are still closed (as they have been for days, for some reason!) but water doesnt look much different in the canal compared with few days ago, and its not running fast either.

cheers

I am planning on leaving Krabi Tomorrow and driving to Surin. Have made the trip many times. would wait a week or two but wifes grandmother is having major surgery. any route advice making it from bkk to saraburi? I am thinking that will be the problem.

Edited by thaiphoon
Quote removed

If you have Gmail this is pretty cool to keep updated...

Crowd sourced Bangkok Flood Map

Before you edit the map, please read this:

Introduction:

This map is public and editable by anyone. Please take care of it.

The purpose is to share near real-time information on a map, which might be more useful than through twitter or forums.

How to edit:

You must be logged using a Google Account (typically a gmail account)

Open the map (http://goo.gl/bykYC)

Click "edit"

On the map, click on the location where you want to add an information and select "add a placemark"

The title of the placemark should be "location" - "status" - "date and time"

Add as much detail as you can in the description part

Click on the picture

Please, DO NOT try to import KML files into the map. It's a bit tricky and you might end up deleting a lot of data.

What you can do is export the KML of this map and use it to create your own. If you think yours is better, then send me an email:

Edit: removed email address

Edited by bkkjames

Sorry for the confusion but I said I THOUGHT he lived in soi 22 or 26 but he is ALMOST opposite Ek Burapa school and as I said yes it is that General area. I didnt say the school was at 22 or 26 HTR.

To start again there is flooding at Ek Burapa school and in the general area. I have only been there once so I cant give you specifics. Just think Ek Burapa school area and flood....easy.

I don't think anyone can say with absolute certainty that the airport will remain functional, although as a critical facility you would assume that the authorities would make every effort to protect it.

How about flying to Singapore instead and taking a direct flight to Chiangmai from there?

Thanks very much to those who responded to my query. In the end it might not prove necessary and I am not sure I can afford too much in the way of penalties on my ticket but the Singapore alternative is a good idea well worth considering. Should have thought of it myself, fairly obvious really (no offense). Thanks again.

can anybody please tell me how the situation is or gonna be in Rama 2 area Pantai norasing ???

p.s. my sympathy to the victims of the flood

:o

I don't think anything is certain because it's in between the flooding around Bang Khae and the likely/possible flooding in Mahachai after this weekend's high tide.

Most likely...

Any flooding will be minimal and only in certain pockets because a lot of the area is 1 meter+ higher than surrounding areas.

Rama 2 Road should be passable. Likely electricity will remain on.

Tap water comes Nahhom Pathom via a treatment plant in Mahachai. Water should should be OK unless there is contamination after the high tide.

I have to travel to Bangkok next Thursday from Nakhon Si Thammarat on Air Asia. I need to apply for a police clearance at Police HQ and attend to some business in the Silom area. What are my chances? Any advice appreciated.

My thoughts are with those struggling with this flood.

Edited by Logarhythm