Shops Running Out Of Products

JimSiam

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is the danger of further food shortages as the last two large industrial estates still standing in Thailand, on the eastern edge of Bangkok, are in imminent danger of flooding. The estates include many food processors, including the "Farmhouse" brand bread factory, a Nestle factory, and others. If they should go, there will be further shortages of basic foods and packaged goods :(

Edited by FarangBuddha

There is the danger of further food shortages as the last two large industrial estates still standing in Thailand, on the eastern edge of Bangkok, are in imminent danger of flooding. The estates include many food processors, including the "Farmhouse" brand bread factory, a Nestle factory, and others. If they should go, there will be shortages of even more basic foods and packaged goods :(

We need to do something and stop waiting for the disaster to come. After it can be too late and I will not risk anything for my baby and my relatives.

We should find a target where goods are still available and send there a few trucks. We can organise something with a small minimum of 5 or 10 of us. We make the list of what we want, we share the expenses so we can have our stocks.

Edited by vediovis

1320744860[/url]' post='4831974']
1320744113[/url]' post='4831940']

There is the danger of further food shortages as the last two large industrial estates still standing in Thailand, on the eastern edge of Bangkok, are in imminent danger of flooding. The estates include many food processors, including the "Farmhouse" brand bread factory, a Nestle factory, and others. If they should go, there will be shortages of even more basic foods and packaged goods :(

We need to do something and stop waiting for the disaster to come. After it can be too late and I will not risk anything for my baby and my relatives.

We should find a target where goods are still available and send there a few trucks. We can organise something with a small minimum of 5 or 10 of us. We make the list of what we want, we share the expenses so we can have our stocks.

And I bet if you were allowed the convoy would be armed. Scary scary people.

1320744860[/url]' post='4831974']
1320744113[/url]' post='4831940']

And I bet if you were allowed the convoy would be armed. Scary scary people.

It does sound a touch over the top - maybe some stickers should be printed for this convoy in Thai saying 'Falang Only'

Though I appreciate the sentiment that things might get tougher and it is better to be prepared, it must be born in mind that there are a lot of Thai people suffering due to this disaster and we need to keep a sense of perspective. Being flooded out of your home and losing everything you have is a disaster - not being able to get your favorite type of bread or water is an inconvenience.

Edited by Orac

I regret VBulletin doesn't offer a functionality to filter messages from people you don't wish to read once you are authenticated.

It does.

Profile: manage ignored users.

Personally I manage to ignore nonsense quite successfully without any help from software.

The people who do the distribution are quite well aware that a lot of extra people are in the Chonburi area and they will no doubt divert extra supplies to cover the sudden increase in population.

EDIT

And another inflammatory post removed.

If there is no problem as some suggest why did I have to go hunting for ciggies this morning as the local 7-11 had none of my brand? They have had no tinned milk for weeks or sugar, cakes, peanuts, water and a lot of other products.

Eggs seem plentiful now, thankfully :)

It is no great hardship to hunt about as it gets me out and about a bit more it is simply a bit more hassle.

its been no problem for me and i would not have noticed a shortage of these items as:

i don't smoke

i don't consume tinned milk

i don't use sugar

i don't eat peanuts

i get water in 20 litre containers

small fairy cakes are plentiful at S & P shops........

anymore ''essentials '' you can't get......?

Bully for you.

And, yes there are plenty of other items in short supply.

A news item suggested that there were many thousands more people arriving in Pattaya from Bangkok, which one would expect to put a drain on resources, but I have found it a fair bit quieter since the weekend with fewer people in the places I frequent.

The article in 'Pattaya News Clipping' suggests 20 000 new arrivals daily. How do they come up with such number.. That would mean in last 10 days Pattaya has grown by 200 000 people

Probably some real estate agents slipped them a few thousand Baht, hoping to talk up condo sales.

"Buy a 25sqm studio and you can rent it out to Bangkok flood refugees for 25K/month."

ok, lot of things to answer there :)

RabC: fumy line :) But my idea was more preventive than anything else. There's not a line of anything aggressive inside of it. It's not Mad Max times yet.

Orac: I really don;t understand where you found the idea for "Farang only", but it was certainly not in my posts or in my head. Next, I indeed feel very sorry for those who lost their homes, but I don't see it as a reason to contest my suggestion and to stop trying to protect my relatives. And a first age baby milk is not a superficial "preference", it's something important for the baby.

Darrel: Thanks, I didn't notice, my Thai Visa is going fresher now. I'm an old school dino from Usenet and I like the plunk system. Save times.

Rimmer: I heard Tesco found better deliveries, and their central stock place starts to be accessible soon. Big C said they stopped eggs importation as their local supplier were enough to meet the consumer demands. I didn't go shopping since last Sunday so I have no idea if the shops are going better at the moment

Darrel again: Yes, and Pattaya is full of crazy drivers, it reminds me why I don't want to live in Bangkok and why Pattaya is not that bad during normal times.

The shop FarangBuddha said is a good shop and they have huge stock. Prices are decent. So if you have an infant and need supplies, go to it, they have everything needed in good quantity. Anyway I have everything for 1 month now. It will give me time to see how things are going to evolve, especially for the spring water. If it is still a problem in 2 weeks, I WILL organise something for myself (and for those who want to be in)

But things are still not normal: My wife went to the small market yesterday in Nongprue after the bridge up to the highway, and was astonished by the vegetable prices : she said everything was 30% or 40% more expensive. Some people were complaining a lot. She had to pay between 600 and 700 Baht when she paid between 300 or 400 Baht for exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I hope this is only temporary as it is very vital elements for a lot of local people.

End of report :)

Edited by vediovis

I think the Thai produce markets are gouging. I was also shocked by the prices there. I am finding now that the Thai produce at grocery stores like Friendship, even Villa, have NOT gone up, making them cheaper than the local markets.

A product that has disappeared -- the Japanese style FIRM tofu in plastic tubs.

A product that has disappeared -- the Japanese style FIRM tofu in plastic tubs.

Absolutely true. As a vegetarian, I miss this one strongly.

Plenty of spare plastic tubs though ,it tastes the same. :jap:

That's nasty. Plastic tubs don't absorb the flavor of your dish when cooked though. Tofu rules! But Thai style tofu is disgusting.

I went to BigC Extra today and they had everything I wanted except sugar and tinned milk. Those two products I can buy elsewhere. Prices did seem reasonable too considering.

The local street store nearby has a full stock of sacks of rice again today. The egg lady has plenty of eggs. The rice is still well priced and the eggs have gone up 15 Baht for 10.

I understand Makro is well stocked too but I dislike going in the car.

Local shop selling sugar at old price too so I bought a bag.

My cupboard is far from bare and only at a slightly increased cost.

I did look at the local markets where I would usually buy veg. But when I heard their prices I declined to buy.

Maybe many suppliers are now getting their act together.

Villa also had NO water, except for a few bottles of expensive Italian mineral waters and a couple cases of Evian at B 38 a small bottle and B 1000 for a box of 24.

Villa Bangkok were pulling the same stunt last week... trying to offload their Evian stock thats probably been sitting there for last couple of years.... LOL.

Also, i got an awful dose of the shts from eating in a nearby restaurant.. apparently its pretty common up there these days from using contaminated water for cooking :unsure:.... all jokes aside, lucky i wasn't on the bus back to Pattaya when the :hit-the-fan: .... so be warned if you are taking a day trip :jap:

Edited by William Osborne

I went to BigC Extra today and they had everything I wanted except sugar and tinned milk. Those two products I can buy elsewhere. Prices did seem reasonable too considering.

The local street store nearby has a full stock of sacks of rice again today. The egg lady has plenty of eggs. The rice is still well priced and the eggs have gone up 15 Baht for 10.

I understand Makro is well stocked too but I dislike going in the car.

Local shop selling sugar at old price too so I bought a bag.

My cupboard is far from bare and only at a slightly increased cost.

I did look at the local markets where I would usually buy veg. But when I heard their prices I declined to buy.

Maybe many suppliers are now getting their act together.

Eggs up 15baht for 10? we go to the wholesaler in Naklua eggs up 10 baht for 30 B)

After morning coffee at Au Bon Pain/Avenue, went for a walk to Tuk Com going along 2nd Road and turning up at South Road. I went in to check on water supplies at 6 stores along this route (a couple Family Marts and Sevens, Watsons at Tuk Com, and Boots at The Avenue) and only one store had ANY bottled water (the little plastic "cups" of water). This must be pretty disconcerting for tourists and locals living in the area and for those who don't know where Foodland, Friendship, Macro, and other places far and wide are located (and may not have transportation as well) that some people enjoy spending all day driving around to pick up basic necessities. For tourists going golfing or diving, or other sporting activities, the lack of something as basic as water must really put them off further visits.

Villa also had NO water, except for a few bottles of expensive Italian mineral waters and a couple cases of Evian at B 38 a small bottle and B 1000 for a box of 24. Being the "hoarder" that I am, there is now one less box of the Evian so I guess by the lights of some people here, I am depriving 23 other people of a bottle of water or by my lights, ensuring that my family has the water it needs to drink when they want it!

We just had another two 20 liter reverse osmosis water (40 baht each) delivered so we should be good for at least the next two weeks. We live in a house and the water delivery truck pass buy a couple of times per week, not sure how it works for condos, I would assume they would have a similar delivery service. I really don't understand this need for bottled water. Of course anyone are free to spend their money as they like but I don't understand why it becomes an emergency issue. We used this water since it became available a few years ago; before that we used the water in the 20 liter white tanks @10 baht each. Never had a problem with either.

I understand tourists may not have access or knowledge about this, but then again, the flooding has been going on for some time already and those tourists here surely knew about it before deciding to go. I don't see why they should should not return, it's not like it's famine country. Things can of course get a lot worse, who knows, but at this time I think it'd probably be considered more of an adventure.

We dropped in for our weekly shopping in Foodland two days ago and they had everything we needed except milk which oddly enough was the only thing all sold out. Managed to get a 2 liter bottle in one of the Seven's on the way back though. The Lotus Express on SSCC/Nongprue Rd is a sad sight, all empty shelves. I guess it has more to do with each shops distribution network than any actual shortage, at least at this time.

I just hope Internet and electricity holds up. If that goes I'm gone too!

@Rimmer, there's a pet food shop in the new row of townhouses on the corner of SSCC and Nongprue road. A few days ago their shelves were full, you might try there.

Beer shortage in the 7/11s around the Soi Diana/Soi Buakow/2nd Rd area yesterday evening. Many brands out of stock. Signs up saying that the distribution centre was disrupted due to flooding, so I think it's more a 7/11 problem than a brewery problem.

Hard to imagine Pattaya without beer. :lol:

homerbeer.jpg

Is the Beer on shortage?? I hope it will be restocked soon. Beer was a temporarly solution & without that I may have to go to Whiskey!

A bit off topic but related is the fact that my daughter came down from Bangkok this morning with potatoes, meats, cheeses, tomatoes and other stuff for me as she had heard that the food shortages were getting bad here.

It seems that in Bangkok there are very few shortages of anything where she shops - other than bottled water - which suprised me.

Beer shortage in the 7/11s around the Soi Diana/Soi Buakow/2nd Rd area yesterday evening. Many brands out of stock. Signs up saying that the distribution centre was disrupted due to flooding, so I think it's more a 7/11 problem than a brewery problem.

homerbeer.jpg

Is the Beer on shortage?? I hope it will be restocked soon. Beer was a temporarly solution & without that I may have to go to Whiskey!

TQ (the Tahitian Queen Rock 'n' Roll Go-Go [which seems to have gone back to playing more actual rock 'n' roll, thank god]) was OUT OF DRAFT BEER the other day. :shock1: But, plenty of bottled beer. :)

Edited by JSixpack

homerbeer.jpg

TQ (the Tahitian Queen Rock 'n' Roll Go-Go [which seems to have gone back to playing more actual rock 'n' roll, thank god]) was OUT OF DRAFT BEER the other day. :shock1: But, plenty of bottled beer. :)

Shocking stuff - a couple of weeks ago the Windmill Club couldn't get any bananas as well.

Is the Beer on shortage?? I hope it will be restocked soon.

Not exactly short but definitely limited depending on the brand and location.

For example, the Tops in Central had thousands of cans of beer the other day .... but only from two labels. 7/11 down the road had completely different brands/labels available, but again not the full range.

was drinking with a bloke down in Soi Bokhao today..

mate of his, who is 'in the know' said the local Mafia are buying up everything so things will get a lot worse next week...also, told me his wife (who is a Chinese 'hi-so' from Bangkok with connections) said that there's gonna be a big showdown between the red-shirts and yellow shirts next week :unsure:

mate of his, who is 'in the know' said the local Mafia are buying up everything so things will get a lot worse next week...also, told me his wife (who is a Chinese 'hi-so' from Bangkok with connections) said that there's gonna be a big showdown between the red-shirts and yellow shirts next week :unsure:

Come on, you should know better than that, guy in a bar who's mate....... Its been well documented most of the stores are now fully restocked. I just came back from Central Beach, the mafia are going to have to spend a fortune to empty that store of food.

Where is this showdown going to take place, on rafts in Bangkok?

Come on, you should know better than that, guy in a bar who's mate....... Its been well documented most of the stores are now fully restocked. I just came back from Central Beach, the mafia are going to have to spend a fortune to empty that store of food.

Where is this showdown going to take place, on rafts in Bangkok?

You must be talking about the shops outside Thailand then.