Interesting Concept

Tywais

Looks like an interesting concept but rather expensive for what looks more like a toy. Could be fun though since it has full 3D information contained in the image.

Newones_186_220x157.JPG

Conventional digital cameras use lenses to focus a subject so it's sharp on the image sensor. That means that for an in-focus part of the image, light from only one direction reaches the sensor. For light-field photography, though, light from multiple directions hits each patch of the sensor; the camera records this directional information, and after-the-shot computing converts it into something a human eye can understand.

The result is that a Lytro camera image is a 3D map of whatever was photographed, and that means people can literally decide what to focus on after they've taken the photo.

Cnet.com

Lytro - the company

Lytro-Cat-comparison_610x305.jpg

Can you make prints from it?

From my understanding is that you load the image into their software then define the focus point you want and convert it to standard image format. Than you have a standard image that can be saved or printed.

I'm not a photographer but I just came across this on the 'net and I was going to post in here. They only have Mac software at the moment but are working on Windows. Go to http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282 and click on the photos. They refocus when you click. Remarkable!

I played around with them when I first came across the article. Haven't figured out if those are actual representations from the camera or artificially produced for demonstration purposes. If it comes out the camera like that, indeed interesting.