URGENT: Bangkok Governor Orders Evacuation Of Residents Of 27 Communities

webfact

Love repeating myself. Goes to show how little you understand about Thailand. The dumb farang is always right and why the Thais call it Thailand.

Definition = free of dumb stupid ignorant god fearing cultural void cheap charlie farangs. Yet to meet one foreigner that is not cultural inept. If you don't appreciate the country there are 63 million Thais willing to to see your potentially flabby backside wobbling through any departures lounge.

Are you saying that all Thai's are racists or is it just that you move in the wrong circles?

Maybe you need to get out more and meet a different crowd ;-)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i will be reaching bkk tomorrow . . and staying at sukhumvit 7

is it safe or should i go to pattaya?

is transportation easily available?? and on.plz plz plz help . im worried

Don't come to Bangkok, if you don't have to. Most of us with homes here would rather be somewhere else. Transport is available at the moment but no one can say if that will continue to be the case. Elevated trains are expected to keep on running but roads can be flooded.

thank u sir.. will head to pattaya . hope taxis at airports are available :(

just dont know what im gonna do there for 15 days :((((((

The Chonburi Motorway going out of the airport in the direction of Pattaya should be clear. If so, there should also be taxis willing to take you there. Monitor the situation and see if things clear up in Bangkok or fly to Phuket instead.

The point about better coordination with the Democrat BMA seems plausible but I think we saw during the last election how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was compared to the Dems. It was the scale of the disaster, the level of panic and the urgent need for information that prompted announcements from various administration bigwigs that apparently contradicted each other at times and suggested a lack of co-ordination and free flow of information between agencies.

I think it is indicative of the general standard of intra-party communications within Thai politics that this turned out to be a series of fairly unhelpful pronouncements from the PTP.

Edited by sbk

Here is a full translation of the 27 communities (or neighbourhoods; not households) warned to evacuate.

1. เขตบางซื่อ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนพระราม 6 (ฝั่งติดแม่น้ำ) และชุมชนปากคลองบางเขนใหม่

1. BangSue 2 communities: Rama VI (along the river) and mouth of Khlong Khen Mai

2. เขตดุสิต มี 5 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเขียวไข่กา (ถ.เขียวไข่กาช่วงปลาย) 20 ครัวเรือน ชุมชนราชผาทับทิมร่วมใจ(เชิงสะพานกรุงธน) ชุมชนซอยสีคาม (ซอยสามเสน 19 ช่วงปลาย) ชุมชนปลายซอยมิตรคาม(ซอยสามเสน 13 ช่วงปลาย)และชุมชนวัดเทวราชกุญชรฯ (ถ.ศรีอยุธยาช่วงปลาย)

2. Dusit, 5 communities: Khiaw Khai Ka (20 households at the end of Khiaw Khai Ka Rd); Ratchaphathapthim Ruamjai (beneath Krung Thon Bridge); Soi Si Khan (Soi Samsen 19 towards the end); end of Soi Mitrakham (Soi Samsen 13 towards the end); and Wat Thewaratchakunkhaorn (end of Si Ayuthaya Rd)

3. เขตพระนคร มี 3 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนท่าวัง ชุมชนท่าช้าง และชุมชนท่าเตียน

3. Phranakorn, 3 communities: Tha Wang; Tha Chang; Tha Tien

4. เขตสัมพันธวงศ์ มี 2 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปทุมคงคา(ท่าน้ำสวัสดี) และชุมชนตลาดน้อย

4. Samphantawong, 2 communities: Wat Pathumkhongkha (Nam Sawadee Pier) and Talat Noi

5. เขตบางคอแหลม มี 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดบางโคล่นอก ชุมชนหน้าวัดอินทร์บรรจง ชุมชนซอยมาตานุสรณ์ และชุมชนหลังร.พ.เจริญกรุงประชารักษ์

5. Bang Kho Laem, 4 communities: Wat Bang Khon Nok; Wat In Banjong; Soi Matanusorn; and behind Charoen Krung Pracharak Hospital.

6. เขตยานนาวา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนโรงสี (ถ.พระราม 3)

6. Yannawa, 1 community: Rong Si (Rama 3 Rd)

7. เขตคลองเตย มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสวนไทรริมคลองพระโขนง

7 Khlong Toey, 1 community: Suan Sai along Khlong Phra Khanong

8. เขตบางพลัด มี 1 ชุมชน คือชุมชนวัดฉัตรแก้ว

8. Bang Phlat, 1 community: Wat Chat Kaew

9. เขตบางกอกน้อย 4 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนสันติชนสงเคราะห์ ชุมชนปากคลองน้ำตาล-คลองพิณพาทย์ ชุมชนตรอกวังหลังและชุมชนดุสิต-นิมิตรใหม่

9. Bangkoknoi, 4 communities: Santichonsongkhrao; mouth ofKhlong Namtan - Khlong Phithiphat; Wang Lang Alley; and Dusit-Nimit Mai.

10. เขตธนบุรี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนปากคลองบางกอกใหญ่

Thonburi, 1 community: mouth of Khlong Bangkok Noi

11. เขตคลองสาน 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนเจริญนครซอย 29/2

11. Khlong San, 1 community: Charoen Nakhon Soi 29/2

12. เขตราษฎร์บูรณะ มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนดาวคะนอง

12. Ratchaburana, 1 community: Dao Khanong

13. เขตทวีวัฒนา มี 1 ชุมชน คือ ชุมชนวัดปรุณาวาส

13. Thawiwattana, 1 community: Wat Parunawat

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

Why leave? All the Disney characters are here working in the Government !

What if YS pulls it off? What if, after all the assumptions that Bangkok will be chest high in water and crocodiles, somehow, magically her little diversion plan works? Does she look like God Almighty, then? Does this consolidate family power for decades to come? What if they purposely made it look worse than it was in order to look like saviors? I have been thinking they we're pretending to be able to save Bangkok, knowing they couldn't for weeks and weeks now. But what if it is the other way around? The family will be in power forever.

Now you manage to scare me, thanks!:o

If it's like a First World country,you need a separate policy to cover flood damage-flood insurance.

I am not being flippant about this but it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies work this one out

as its a natural rain water flood held back by levies and protection then levies opened which makes it a man made flood and not an act of nature

Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim on and so this is an interesting situation

BTW I am housing and feeding a few Thais that have lost all

"current elevation" app (free) is quite handy for all you home owners near Bangkok with a iPhone. I am in Talingchan and my house is showing 7.4 meters ASL. Still dry here. I drove my bike over to Nonthaburi and found most of the area that was flooded to be around 4m ASL.

If there is as of yet no water lapping against your front gate, chances are there won't be. .. and let's be frank: If my area hasn't been inundated by now, it's not going to happen, that much is certain. If you are in the same position as I am, my advice is: Calm down, don't listen to your panicking wife, open a bottle of beer and enjoy your Saturday evening. 'Nuff said.

Not very good advice IMO but good luck.

My relatives living in a tent in the middle of a high road in Ayutthaya also didn't believe they were going to get flooded. Now the water is so deep they can't find their truck or their home. They would need sonar.

The messages from the govt are confusing, contradictory and outright stupid but I find the BMA governor tends to communicate simply, directly and without too much hype although sometimes he is clearly pissed off by the PM's gang of fools.

Every day we take the reprieve and lack off flood waters in our house to prepare better, move more stuff, and move it higher and higher as much as possible.

But that's just my strategy based on living in Thailand a number of decades.

I am not being flippant about this but it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies work this one out

as its a natural rain water flood held back by levies and protection then levies opened which makes it a man made flood and not an act of nature

Most insurance policies omit everything that any one can make a claim on and so this is an interesting situation

I'm from Florida and I can tell you EXACTLY how. First, man-made or natural makes no difference.

Insurance companies DO cover water damage from FALLING WATER which includes rain leaking through a roof or water falling from broken pipes INSIDE a house.

Insurance companies DO NOT cover damage from RISING WATER, which would include flooding or damage to plumbing, dykes or levies that are located OUTSIDE the house.

This is true all over the world, including the United States and... Thailand. You CANNOT make money insuring against rising water.

The US Government has a flood (rising water) insurance program (which of course loses money) that US Citizens can buy into. Thailand has no such program as it cannot afford the losses that inevitably come with insuring against rising water damage.

Bottom line is: NONE of this damage is insured

Edited by moto77

The point about better coordination with the Democrat BMA seems plausible but I think we saw during the last election how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was compared to the Dems. It was the scale of the disaster, the level of panic and the urgent need for information that prompted announcements from various administration bigwigs that apparently contradicted each other at times and suggested a lack of co-ordination and free flow of information between agencies.

I think it is indicative of the general standard of intra-party communications within Thai politics that this turned out to be a series of fairly unhelpful pronouncements from the PTP.

Interesting point re PT's vastly superior PR in the election campaign. I suppose they put together a very detailed marketing plan and assembled a team that was very focused on executing the plan and selling the Yingluck product. If you remember, she didn't have to do much herself, except look pretty, say "na ka" many times and raise up her index finger. But dealing with a natural disaster crisis is a different kettle of fish from running an election campaign and since the cabinet pie has been sliced up, bitter rivalries have developed that the boss has been too far away to settle, resulting in a lot of chest thumping on camera by individual ministers and a lack of cooperation between government departments. People expect rapid delivery of a tangible product during a natural disaster. This requires the ability to pull together all bureaucratic resources and make tough decisions quickly based on rational analysis of the best information you can collate in the time available like a military commander, whereas an election campaign sells intangible promises concocted by marketing gurus that can be done by sticking to the script handed out daily.

Edited by Arkady

Blaming the Thai media just because the limited information in these forum notifications does not provide the details that you want? :cheesy: Go to your internet browser and hook up with any search engine and you will see that plenty of info has been provided. (Hint: in the search field do not type "beer"). :lol: An' hey you folks ranting that the floods were supposed to already have arrived like that is the fault of the authorities. Possibly you might go down to the Chao Phraya and complain to it that it is behind schedule on its flooding itinerary.

this sums up everything regarding public information and communication about the floods, it seems like forever now that the 'floods are coming' yet I still see zilch in central Bangkok and now we have a report saying the Governor of Bkk orders the evacuation of 27 areas and no mention of which ones crazy.gif

It's more a function of not speaking Thai really. There's plenty of info. on the tv channels for instance.

Yes just like the insurance companies did in Australia at the beginning of this year but most got nothing.

Mickey mouse was in-charge 40 years ago when the money that should have been spent to construct flod protection was used to build disneyland. I'm from New Orleans in the US and it's 4 meters below sea level with the Mississippi River running through it - it's dry, but there's no disneyland

Does anybody actually know when Bangkok is going to be inundated. First it was 18th. Then it was today now am

told in 5 days. I was planning to go to Disney Land but think will stay here and save money because Mickey Mouse is alive and here in Bangkok. Believe he made a guest appearance at the Yanni concert earlier.

Aloha<br id="yui_3_2_0_15_131932289778969">

When we reroute the natural flow of rivers, streams and creeks, remove trees, asphalt the jungle and set up living areas next to them, other wise messing with Mother Earth, we are asking for sooner or later problems, of course you all know that, also making Mother Earth our ashtray and garbage can without using either one, we are contaminating all waterways, the only blame is man, Thai and Farang.

post-51002-0-56887200-1319326638_thumb.g

To cover this point simply. The first photo was taken at 08:19 on the 14th.

post-68756-0-35813400-1319280033_thumb.j

This 2nd image was taken today at 17:03

post-68756-0-69891700-1319280060_thumb.j

er...not exactly 1m is it. Since I have taken that photo the water has continued to drop with the outgoing tide. I have sat at my desk with the view of the river for 4 years and I know the tides round here very well. The river IS very swollen, but it is not overflowing the wall. Right now it is 40cm below our flood wall. I am willing to accept that our flood wall might be higher, but 30cm higher?

How are those pics a reflection of the whole river? Do you think BKK is perfectly flat?

er...are you suggesting our river has hills?

" how much more responsive and effective the PTP PR machine was"

Yes, but it lacked a quality known as veracity - honesty if you prefer. I particularly liked the "No More Floods" poster, a party line they were still trying to sell, at least in BKK, up till a few days ago.

By what stretch of the imagination is this not a state of emergency - Thailand should be asking the rest of the world to help not pretending that it will all be alright!

I will never in a million years understand this "loss of face" thing - life is much more simple "if you are in trouble ask for help" and when you are not in trouble look for others that need help!

I really hope that something is done before any more people needlessly lose their lives - they could have evacuated areas days ago in an orderly fashion - now they are opening the way for panic. I dont think this government or PM are particularly responsible since it seems that no Thai public figures are ever prepared to admit there are problems they cant deal with!

You have never been to Thailand? Thailand should ask foreigners to help in Thailand?? Get real. The government will let people starve and die before that would happen.

Love repeating myself. Goes to show how little you understand about Thailand. The dumb farang is always right and why the Thais call it Thailand.

Definition = free of dumb stupid ignorant god fearing cultural void cheap charlie farangs. Yet to meet one foreigner that is not cultural inept. If you don't appreciate the country there are 63 million Thais willing to to see your potentially flabby backside wobbling through any departures lounge.

You must suffer a lot. signed, Stupid Farang

i will be reaching bkk tomorrow . . and staying at sukhumvit 7

is it safe or should i go to pattaya?

is transportation easily available?? and on.plz plz plz help . im worried

Don't come to Bangkok, if you don't have to. Most of us with homes here would rather be somewhere else. Transport is available at the moment but no one can say if that will continue to be the case. Elevated trains are expected to keep on running but roads can be flooded.

thank u sir.. will head to pattaya . hope taxis at airports are available :(

just dont know what im gonna do there for 15 days :((((((

If you can't find something to do in Pattaya for 15 days, you better go to the hospital right now and have them check for a pulse and respiration.

:cheesy:

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Go to Chiang Mai

Don't him THAT! The way I figure, we have enough of those nasty farang here now. We don't need any more to spoil it for the rest of us.

hahah

Tell that to the Hoteliers and Shopkeepers

<Snip!>.... I'm coming to bangkok on the second and i will be staying near the Chao Phya river on the other side of the saphan taksin bridge even if i'm going to be on the 9th floor its going to put a dent in my holiday plans. any advice guys?

Go to Chiang Mai

Don't him THAT! The way I figure, we have enough of those nasty farang here now. We don't need any more to spoil it for the rest of us.

hahah

Tell that to the Hoteliers and Shopkeepers

Come on, has your sense of humor been washed away by the rain or floods? In reality, I do everything I can to promote Chiang Mai. Not only as a great place to vacation, but a beautiful place to retire and live. I've heard a number of people say "Bangkok IS Thailand." No, Bangkok is an Asian version of LA or NY. IMHO, Chiang Mai is Thailand in ways that BKK hasn't been for a long, long time.

Wow, I take it you were bullied at school. :whistling:

What do you refer to rogerdee me wonders?

Water, flooding - too obvious.

Aliens? Nah, already came, don't want to clean up this mess.

Only leaves on option as I see it left in this chess-match that is heading towards another deep throat moment at the watergate.

Well them draino snakes can snap down on you (or I should say ,, can snap up on you) if you don't stay alert ... when you sit down on the throne, keep your hands on your gonads brother.

:jap:

Well, don't know about draino snakes, but we have a crab in our Phra Kanong garden this morning! About 5cm wide body, looks knackered, wife has put in a bin lid with water. So, apart from obvious pubic jokes, where has this crab come from? The drains? Escaped from a neighbour making Som Tam? ButI have to say that, one crab doth not a draino crab myth make.

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When deleting quoted posts to meet the nested quotes criteria, be careful so as to delete individual posts while keeping the quote headers intact. When replying to certain parts of a post, learn how to use the Insert quotation feature, just copy the content you wish to respond to and paste the content in between the quote brackets.