Flood-Hit Thailand Declines Offer Of Help: US Navy

webfact

Flood-hit Thailand declines offer of help: US Navy

WASHINGTON, October 25, 2011 (AFP) - The US Navy has withdrawn several ships sent to help with relief efforts in flood-hit Thailand after receiving "mixed" messages from the Bangkok government, a defense official said Monday.

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier and other ships were deployed to the area on October 16 for potential disaster relief work as Thailand faced massive flooding from monsoon rains, said Navy spokesman Lieutenant Commander John Perkins.

But the US military never received a formal request from the Thai government and the three-ship aircraft carrier group along with a fourth ship, the USS Kidd, were released and left the area on Friday, said Perkins, spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet based in Hawaii.

"We are ready to help but we haven't got a request," said a US defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

The Thai capital on Monday was bracing for advancing and seemingly unstoppable floodwaters after residents in areas deemed most at threat were urged to leave.

Other parts of the country have been plagued by three months of heavy monsoon rains that have killed more than 350 people in Thailand and damaged the homes and livelihoods of nine million people.

On October 15, a small ten-man team of US Marines traveled to Thailand to deliver thousands of sandbags and to assess how the American military could help with relief efforts.

The USS George Washington group had arrived at the port of Singapore on October 12 and four days later the carrier was steaming towards Thailand "to position itself in case their assistance was requested," Perkins said.

A fourth ship, the USS Kidd, which was carrying out an exercise with Cambodian forces, also was ordered to join the carrier group near Thailand, he said.

The USS George Washington is now en route to Japan for an annual joint exercise there.

For humanitarian work, the United States often deploys warships, including aircraft carriers, which can operate fleets of helicopters and ferry in emergency medical teams and supplies.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-25

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"On October 15, a small ten-man team of US Marines traveled to Thailand to deliver thousands of sandbags and to assess how the American military could help with relief efforts"

sending sandbags is the least, what US government should be doing, in such situation. Much more important are basic medical supplies, medicines and equipment.

but, of course, it's a very strange position, not to accept an offer of help. Those marines could be used in rescue work, which is so much needed.

looks, life thai foreign ministry made a big mistake, because there weren't any diplomatic favours in exchange for help.

Edited by londonthai

One member mentioned that some potential contributors are being asked to contribute money instead of relief articles. Here in CM I have seen several individuals soliciting money for "Thai people", but have not heard nor seen any collection point for donated necessities.

Backhanders are probably not at the top of the agenda for many at present, but the resilience/longevity displayed by some would indicated they will catch up quickly. The record of handling of cash donations during/after past natural disasters should be a big red flag for all potential contributors.

... it's all pretty disturbing ... can anyone comment on protocols that would warrant a UN intervention to prevent human disaster, without an invitation from the Thai government? ... at what point do Thais need to be protected from the Thais?

... these people seem just too incompetent to care for themselves ... freakishly incompetent

Edited by swillowbee

Before this wreck is done, Thailand will be asking for and getting help from a dozen or more nations and the UN.

Disease will likely break out due to people being forced into unhealthy living conditions.

I hope I am wrong but I see bad things ahead.

Correction: Disease is already spreading. The number of skin infections along with GI illnesses is high.

Amendment : Personal opinion based on personal sources, since MOH is not releasing the data.

Edited by geriatrickid

If this isn't absolute proof of their bona fide stupidity, nothing is. It's as if they want people to die.

It's starting to look that way...

It's the same old "loss of Face" stupidity. When was the last time a Thai Government

accepted the offer of help from foreign government? If they had called in people from

foreign countries with experience in water management in low lying areas (Netherlands

to name one) many, many years ago, then perhaps this flood may have been less of a

disaster than it is now. The least that could have been done was to make a study of

other countries defenses against flooding and adapted them to suit Thailand.

If this isn't absolute proof of their bona fide stupidity, nothing is. It's as if they want people to die.

It certainly does. A nuclear-powered aircraft carrier task force is capable of providing an astounding amount of assistance from electricity to medical care to food to water to manpower to evacuation helicopters. It runs the whole gamut of help that is unrivaled.

This is absolutely absurd of the government to turn it ALL away.

It certainly does. A nuclear-powered aircraft carrier task force is capable of providing an astounding amount of assistance from electricity to medical care to food to water to manpower to evacuation helicopters. It runs the whole gamut of help that is unrivaled.

... sailing off over the horizon, these resources could be sorely needed in Thailand's near future ... but, more importantly are the logistics necessary to deploy them where they are needed, and not wasted ... no institution is better prepared for that mission than the US military ... and the Thais certainly cannot hack it.

... a freakishly incompetent Thai government has so far shown itself incapable of staying in front of a rising crisis ... noted elsewhere here, the follow-on consequences could be far more damaging to a country with no history of competence at this sort of thing ... disease ... (an epidemiologist friend in Thailand with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is being redeployed to respond to the call for help the Thais will eventually make ... quietly, of course).

... now that the US offer of assistance has been stupidly declined by the freakishly incompetent Thais, the Thai government is unlikely to invite them back ... Thais will watch their own people perish, rather than lose face ... sadly, that is just how Thais are.

Edited by swillowbee

<br />"On October 15, a small ten-man team of US Marines traveled to Thailand to deliver thousands of sandbags and to assess how the American military could help with relief efforts"<br />sending sandbags is the least, what US government should be doing, in such situation. Much more important are basic medical supplies, medicines and equipment.<br /><br />but, of course, it's a very strange position, not to accept an offer of help. Those marines could be used in rescue work, which is so much needed.<br /><br />looks, life thai foreign ministry made a big mistake, because there weren't any diplomatic favours in exchange for help.<br />

Well, as I see things these marines would need a work permit; seven underlings, get screened for syphilis and swim to the immigration every ninety days. How sick this all is - disgusting!

It's the same old "loss of Face" stupidity.

I agree with lentsa that this is what may be involved with denial of help from the US Navy. However, I find it in conflict with the cooperation that exists for all the "Cobra Gold" operations that take place all the time. Not to mention all the R&R time spent by military personnel here. It is apparently OK to line the pockets of the military and the bars in Pattaya but to hell with the other people.

The navy resources could have helped thousands in a short amount of time and now that opportunity is lost and I hope the affected citizens of this epic flood are provided a good reason for their government turning its' back on the offered help.

Maybe Taksin told his sister that because he was denied US entry, she should not accept help from the USA.

At least the USA made a valid attempt help. Can't say the same for many other countries.

No, you just have to see things from their prospectives, none of the people governing this country or any of their relative is exposed to the risk affecting a large part of the population, so, this choice of them makes perfect sense, if the military want to help then they should apply and pay for the right working permits for this privilege, otherways they would be breaking the current laws, don't they? ....

Edit: spelling

"There were two channels (in the Thai government)," the defense official told AFP. "One was saying 'Yes' and one was saying 'No.'"

I wonder which channel of the Thai government said no? I sure hope this fact is revealed.

The Thai people can handle the situation themselves. The don't need international support. There is no problem with the way the people here are dealing with the situation.

Exactly the same as the newly installed traffic lights at the intersection of Bang Waek and Phuttamontonton Sai 2. These traffic lights are working perfectly. Just there are times when they are turned off, times when the traffic is forbidden from turning right or driving straight, times when the right turning traffic is across the path of the traffic driving straight, so that no one can move, times when cars and motorbikes are so self miss managed that I can understand that the policeman is drinking beer on the job.

Sure the Thai don't need help. They would lose face, and that just can't be had.

No, you just have to see things from their prospectives, none of the people governing this country or any of their relative is exposed to the risk affecting a large part of the population, so, this choice of them makes perfect sense

<snip>

The decision will sadly and needlessly cost lives.

What are the chances the yellow shirts are using the floods for political gains?

The yellow shirts haven't been in the news except for Sondhi's comments a couple of weeks ago about Yingluck's incompetence.

I do know that the red shirts are using the floods for political gains by saying it is all a Democrat conspiracy to flood the provinces and block the water from flooding Bangkok. But since Yingluck took control with the Disaster law, she is following the same path. She's in cahoots with the Democrats.

Also, the PTP are labeling donations with their logo - both stuff from the government and private donations.

Maybe you have some example of how the yellow shirts are using the floods for political gains.

Or maybe you're just trolling.

I wonder which channel of the Thai government said no? I sure hope this fact is revealed.

Well, that looks like an improvement to me, as usually you get the same person telling you something and the contrary of it at the same time......honestly! :cheesy:

I think this is a lack of communicating with the right people. As a person that has more than 14 family members stranded by these floods in the Bangkok area, I am very concerned and planning accordingly for the entire family. Loosing all their possessions is a minor thing as their safety is paramount. My concern is when the floods are over. There will be limited water and food sources that are not contaminated, the likely outbreak of disease and of course the inability of the common man to earn a living and provide for himself. I think someone better call the U.S. Military and ask them to return. Heck their water decontamination capabilities alone will be worth many lives.

...today the US help you, tomorrow they'll be ready to reclaim the favor and put it in your a**...

and don't tell me it never happened before

Mezcal,

You might right in cases before but what about the tsunami when the USA sent their aircraft carriers and other ships to take care of not only Thais but Indonesians as well as other people.