Carpool: Pattaya - Bkk

hlyjsn

Hi all

Anyone thought of starting a noticeboard for a kind of 'carpool club' from Pattaya to Bangkok? I'm sure there must be others that would prefer to avoid taxis and/or busses .....

Even if you all think it's a lousy idea, I'm looking for a ride this week from Pattaya (Pratumnak) to arrive in Bangkok for 0930 on Friday 28th. If anyone's interested or can assist, then contact me and we'll talk about $$ for petrol or whatever.

Cheers

Haley

Hey I never knew that existed. Thanks a lot for it! Btw, for THB 113 is it a lousy ride or is the bus fairly clean and comfortable? I'll have to find out where the Pattaya bus terminal is.

Still though, for this trip i need to look crisp and fresh as i've a business meeting, so if it's a non A/C deal, then i'll just use it for shopping and go taxi for this Friday's visit.

Edited by hlyjsn

??? Whaaat? That's always been the price man.

http://www.pattayabus.com/en/route_schedule.htm

Used to be 66 Baht when I first came to live in Pattaya.

OP can also look at the bus stop in the car park of FoodMart at the bottom of Pratumnak Hill which has a service to the airport but I don't know if it goes into Bangkok although I saw one of their buses at Ekkamai on Saturday.

Edit: Pattaya Bus Terminal is on North Road at the top end near Sukhumvit. You can get a bus either to Ekkamai or Morchit depending where you need to be. Ekkamai is handier for Sukhumvit and skytrain access.

Buses are AC but take a sweater as sometimes they're freezing.

Edited by PattayaParent

Surely a business meeting in Bangkok necessitates opening the piggy bank and splurging Bt1200 or so for a halfway decent taxi.

I cannot even begin to contemplate the thought process that might conceive of a motorbike taxi, bus and bike taxi again combination as a decent way to prepare for a business meeting.

Are those the miniubuses that weave in and out of the traffic at high speed on Sukhumvit and the motorways?

They'd give Michael Schumacher a white knuckle ride.

Sounds odd coming from you, the one who claims on other threads; to race down Jomtien second road late at night going 100Kmph?

Are you saying the big buses don't weave in out of traffic?

I've had more than my fair share of white knuckled and unpleasant rides with the big buses. Two accidents side swiping another vehicle. Each time had to wait for another bus. Another time the bus spun sideways when the driver was pissed at a motorbike and tried to cut him off. Not to mention the numerous times the bus broke times the bus broke down on the road. We had to wait in a hot sticky coach for another bus or parts to arrive. Another couple of times with water dripping down on me from the air conditioning above. Most of the big buses are old, dilapidated, and poorly maintained.

Whereas I have never had a problem with a problem with the minibuses. Most are fairly new and not overly packed. Resulting in a much more comfortable ride. I'm a big person.

I take it you never tried the minibuses?

Edited by BB1950

Are those the miniubuses that weave in and out of the traffic at high speed on Sukhumvit and the motorways?

They'd give Michael Schumacher a white knuckle ride.

Sounds odd coming from you, the one who claims on other threads; to race down Jomtien second road late at night going 100Kmph?

That’s why they scare me when they are weaving in and out overtaking.

Are you saying the big buses don't weave in out of traffic?

Well I was on a few last week and they didn’t, can’t say that in 16 years here I can remember being on one that did. The size of them it’s much more difficult a manoeuvre than in a minibus. The old orange ‘rot doysarn’ ones were another matter though, they were dangerous but those seem to have been stopped now and the drivers taken on by the mini vans..

I've had more than my fair share of white knuckled and unpleasant rides with the big buses. Two accidents side swiping another vehicle. Each time had to wait for another bus. Another time the bus spun sideways when the driver was pissed at a motorbike and tried to cut him off. Not to mention the numerous times the bus broke times the bus broke down on the road. We had to wait in a hot sticky coach for another bus or parts to arrive. Another couple of times with water dripping down on me from the air conditioning above. Most of the big buses are old, dilapidated, and poorly maintained.

I’ve been on a couple that have broken down and my main complaint with them is the airconditioning is too cold and the controls are broken but the Pattaya Bangkok route has a fair few new buses these days

Whereas I have never had a problem with a problem with the minibuses. Most are fairly new and not overly packed. Resulting in a much more comfortable ride. I'm a big person.

I take it you never tried the minibuses?

After seeing the way they drive I would never use one.