Blocking Objectionable Posters

thaibeachlovers

I have heard that it is possible, but don't know how to do it.

I am being stalked by a cyberbully, and would like to delete him from my life, but wondering if just blocking him is the best way. Would I still see his posts if they were quoted by others, or would it mean that every post with a quote from him in it was blocked?

Is there a better way?

Does anyone have experience with using a block, if it is in fact available?

Thanks.

Just to the right of your user name displayed in the top left of the window is a small triangle, click on that and a drop down menu appears, one option is "Manage Ignored Users" click on that ..... should be quite plain after that.

Their input still shows if someone else quotes them though.

Just to the right of your user name displayed in the top left of the window is a small triangle, click on that and a drop down menu appears, one option is "Manage Ignored Users" click on that ..... should be quite plain after that.

Thank you for that. I've blocked him, and it works- brilliant.

I expect he'll come back with another handle though, just to stalk me. That's what he does on another forum I frequent after he gets banned. At least I can block him again here- can't do it on the other forum.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

If you are indeed a victim of 'cyber bullying' then report the poster to the moderators listing the proof of this 'bullying'. They will be swiftly deleted from the forum.

If you have done this and the poster is still posting then the moderators don't have sufficient evidence of stalking or bullying. This means that either they don't believe you or you maybe you are being a little over sensitive to people who just may not agree with you (or find you agreeable).

My advice would be to be more tolerant of other people and not assume that just because someone disagrees with you that they are 'bullying' you. Its the internet, no one can hurt you here :D

I was brought up to stand up for myself, it's done me no harm. It's never too late to give it a go.

Peace.

Edited by Kananga

Well if it is me, there wouldnt be much point me posting as he wouldn't be able to see it. :D

Admittedly I did tell the OP I found his excuse of not volunteering after he spent 2 weeks trying to find out where to get a volunteering work permit because the authorities didnt accept the help from an American Aircraft carrier hilarious so if he is one of those oversensitive souls who took offense then it probably is me. Guilty as charged... :whistling:

Maybe I'm just being paranoid too, in which case I'm going to stay tuned...

If you are indeed a victim of 'cyber bullying' then report the poster to the moderators listing the proof of this 'bullying'. They will be swiftly deleted from the forum.

If you have done this and the poster is still posting then the moderators don't have sufficient evidence of stalking or bullying. This means that either they don't believe you or you maybe you are being a little over sensitive to people who just may not agree with you (or find you agreeable).

My advice would be to be more tolerant of other people and not assume that just because someone disagrees with you that they are 'bullying' you. Its the internet, no one can hurt you here :D

I was brought up to stand up for myself, it's done me no harm. It's never too late to give it a go.

Peace.

A refreshing voice of reason, although at least the blocking tool is there for the head in the sand brigade. Personally I would prefer to know what people are saying about me. I don't get offended real easy.

Grow some balls <deleted>, you say he has been bullying you on another forum, well how the hell does he know who you are on this and the other forum/s? or do you use the same username?..either way you can be assured that he cant hurt you from behind his computer screen

Grow some balls <deleted>, you say he has been bullying you on another forum, well how the hell does he know who you are on this and the other forum/s? or do you use the same username?..either way you can be assured that he cant hurt you from behind his computer screen

Sounds like a spot of 'cyber paranoia' if you ask me. You're quite safe here, we'll protect you :-)

Exactly santi-you need a thick skin or very poor taste to hang out with that group.

just testing james, the difference, between a black cab and Man U, blackcabs only let 5 in :whistling: does that make me a cyberbully??

Don't you need to be sending vile PM's to qualify? I mean arguments on the open forum are fair game but that's when it gets personal isn't it?

Anything else I just consider harmless fun.....

Exactly santi-you need a thick skin or very poor taste to hang out with that group.

just testing james, the difference, between a black cab and Man U, blackcabs only let 5 in :whistling: does that make me a cyberbully??

Keep up <deleted> Nignoy - we've seen that joke already on the football threads

Just testing :rolleyes:

Yes, I use the same username.

I know he can't hurt me physically, and personal insults are usually dealt with by the moderators.

I know that most posters get a bit of flaming now and then, but when it goes on for months ( must be a year now ) it gets a bit tiresome having to be constantly reporting offensive material, plus it upsets me to see someone making vile comments about my family.

The other thing is that the poster in question is able to write things that are offensive to me, because I know what he's really writing about, that no one else would think bad. He comes across as being very reasonable in many of his posts, and as the really offensive ones are deleted quickly no one knows what he's really up to. Unless you'd seen the offensive posts, you'd think he is a pretty ok guy, but he's a sly dog. Just a few threads ago, he had some offensive posts deleted, so came back with some very reasonable contributions, but when I wrote something he could twist, he went for the jugular ( which I had been waiting for ) and posted something that probably sounded reasonable to those that wouldn't know what his real game is. As far as I can tell, he only posts to attack people, never to help, unless it's an attack in disguise.

I just can't be bothered seeing the vile rantings from a very disturbed individual anymore.

You have to be seriously disturbed to go to the lengths that this character does, just to upset someone else from the safety of an anonymous computer. He even impersonated other posters in PMs to try and lead me up the garden path, so to speak.

Stalking isn't just a prank, which is why they put perpetrators in jail, and it's worth noting that some governments are now looking to make cyber bullying a crime.

Don't you need to be sending vile PM's to qualify? I mean arguments on the open forum are fair game but that's when it gets personal isn't it?

Well, does impersonating moderators and other posters on PMs qualify?

Do you consider vile attacks on your family harmless fun? I think they're off limits myself.

Do you consider vile attacks on your family harmless fun? I think they're off limits myself.

If someone is sending offensive/attack PMs then use the Report function for the PM or Add moderator(s) as Participant in the conversation. Forum rules apply to PMs also and we can sort them out. It's possible you may not hear from them via PM after this post though. ;)

Sounds fairly grim....I hope you get it sorted out.

I know he can't hurt me physically, and personal insults are usually dealt with by the moderators.

I know that most posters get a bit of flaming now and then, but when it goes on for months ( must be a year now ) it gets a bit tiresome having to be constantly reporting offensive material, plus it upsets me to see someone making vile comments about my family.

The other thing is that the poster in question is able to write things that are offensive to me, because I know what he's really writing about, that no one else would think bad. He comes across as being very reasonable in many of his posts, and as the really offensive ones are deleted quickly no one knows what he's really up to. Unless you'd seen the offensive posts, you'd think he is a pretty ok guy, but he's a sly dog. Just a few threads ago, he had some offensive posts deleted, so came back with some very reasonable contributions, but when I wrote something he could twist, he went for the jugular ( which I had been waiting for ) and posted something that probably sounded reasonable to those that wouldn't know what his real game is. As far as I can tell, he only posts to attack people, never to help, unless it's an attack in disguise.

I just can't be bothered seeing the vile rantings from a very disturbed individual anymore.

You have to be seriously disturbed to go to the lengths that this character does, just to upset someone else from the safety of an anonymous computer. He even impersonated other posters in PMs to try and lead me up the garden path, so to speak.

Stalking isn't just a prank, which is why they put perpetrators in jail, and it's worth noting that some governments are now looking to make cyber bullying a crime.

Something doesn't add up here. You tell us you are a victim of bullying and stalking yet also admit to writing things he can twist like you were waiting for. Sounds to me like you are enjoying the attention. And if the posts are reasonable and only you can see the 'bullying' perhaps its time you consider seeing a shrink. It just doesn't add up. I have seen plenty of vicious people on this site however everyone can see they are vicious. I you ask me you are being extremely over sensitive here. Like the previous poster suggested, grow a pair and get on with your life and if you don't want trouble stop asking for it.

Thank you for that. I've blocked him, and it works- brilliant.

I expect he'll come back with another handle though, just to stalk me. That's what he does on another forum I frequent after he gets banned. At least I can block him again here- can't do it on the other forum.

If you suspect that he's rejoined using another nic report your suspicions to the mods.

Something doesn't add up here. You tell us you are a victim of bullying and stalking yet also admit to writing things he can twist like you were waiting for. Sounds to me like you are enjoying the attention. And if the posts are reasonable and only you can see the 'bullying' perhaps its time you consider seeing a shrink. It just doesn't add up. I have seen plenty of vicious people on this site however everyone can see they are vicious. I you ask me you are being extremely over sensitive here. Like the previous poster suggested, grow a pair and get on with your life and if you don't want trouble stop asking for it.

Something else doesn't add up - a poster of only 18 posts standing writing a response like a long-time member! Hell: I'm getting paranoid myself now.

Edited by SantiSuk

Something else doesn't add up - a poster of only 18 posts standing writing a response like a long-time member! Hell: I'm getting paranoid myself now.

Haha. But that also means you are now stalking me.

None of it adds up. First its secret code offensiveness that only the OP can see, then its open vile attacks on his family, then its ok because he is blocked from seeing his postings, and then its multiple impersonation handles.

However this comment about cyber bullying being made a crime is interesting though. I was always under the impression that this was directed towards children at schools, not grown ups who can (should) fight their own battles.