Internet Download Manager

djayz

Hello, I bought a new laptop about a month ago and I have 2 small problems with it:

Since yesterday, whenever I try to download something a new window opens with the following message "Internet Download Manager has been registered with a fake serial number or the serial number has been blocked. IMD is exiting" and so I cannot download any files, books, etc. This was not a problem until last Thursday (exactly 4 weeks after purchasing the laptop). All software was installed when I bought it. Where can I get a serial number for IDM?

The second problem is, whenever I'm online and click on something a new window automatically opens directing me to google.com. How can I stop/prevent this from happening? It's annoying.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Best regards

Where can I get a serial number for IDM?

You can't from Thaivisa as that is a commercial product and the copy you have is a 30 day demo. Asking for a serial here is suggesting piracy and not allowed by forum rules. Uninstall it and install a freeware downloader as suggested. Personally I use Flashget and the Flashgot Firefox plugin and have for years now. If you are using Firefox, another option is DownThemAll!

Yes uninstall IDM with Revo and at the same time suggest check what other programs the shop has so generously given you, whether trial or hacked versions.

Assume the OS is genuine !!!

Personally use Free Download Manager, just my choice, but for light use the downloader built into the browser should suffice.

Free Download Manager Gets my vote

Been using it for years

:D

FDM gets my vote. I have also been using it for years.:thumbsup:

However the link provided by Daffy D is for the old version. There have been many changes and fixes since. The old version is also not compatible with Firefox 4 and above. Here's a link to download the current BETA version from the Free Download Manger Forum:.

FDM 3.8 BETA 6

The final release is expected next month.

Edited by BB1950

Been using it for years

However the link provided by Daffy D is for the old version. There have been many changes and fixes since. The old version is also not compatible with Firefox 4 and above. Here's a link to download the current BETA version from the Free Download Manger Forum:.

FDM 3.8 BETA 6

Oops!

I see they finally did change the links in Daffy D's link. You can now download both the old version and current BETA version from there. :whistling:

Been using it for years

FDM 3.8 BETA 6

Thank you, and all the other thaivisa members, for the tips. I've uninstalled IDM and am now using FDM. Works fine and it's free. Cheers!

Oops!

I see they finally did change the links in Daffy D's link. You can now download both the old version and current BETA version from there. :whistling:

Thank you sir your applogy accepted :D

The OP might be interested in PC Decrapifier.

A free program that lets you get rid of preinstalled crap that you don't want.

"Even brand new PCs often come with LOTS of pre-installed software that can cause that new machine to come to a crawl"

I've not tried it myself but sounds usefull

:)

As mentioned, uninstall int download manager,try DAP, it's a freeware download manager, here's a link to help you uninstall, DAP can be found on same site. http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol;1

I had a shot at DAP but it had a real malware feel to it; tried hard to install all sorts of unrelated stuff, including the ubiquitous toolbar. In the end it didn't work and it was quite a bit of fiddling to uninstall it again. I succeeded at last, but I would recommend anyone considering playing with this try it in a virtual machine first (I like virtualbox from Oracle, free download).

As mentioned, uninstall int download manager,try DAP, it's a freeware download manager, here's a link to help you uninstall, DAP can be found on same site. http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;1

I had a shot at DAP but it had a real malware feel to it; tried hard to install all sorts of unrelated stuff, including the ubiquitous toolbar. In the end it didn't work and it was quite a bit of fiddling to uninstall it again. I succeeded at last, but I would recommend anyone considering playing with this try it in a virtual machine first (I like virtualbox from Oracle, free download).

I've used it for years, no problems. Just untick the toolbar and other things you don't want.

I just checked their website and they don't support Chromium, which is probably why I couldn't make it work.

Whether it's spammy or not I guess is a matter of taste. It's not only a matter of toolbars, I had to decline the installation of "speedbit video download" no less than 4 times during the installation of DAP, They also tried to get my email address with no apparent way to opt out; it turned out they don't actually check if you enter anything so just leave it blank and click next.