Baht Buses

zziffle

After a couple of years of planning and prep, I seem to have arrived in good ol' CM. Today is day two of my new residency here.

Does anyone have any tips or references to good info on the baht buses here? Lots of red trucks going by, but I have no clue where they are going and would think it a great coincidence if the one I jumped on happened to be going where I wanted it to.

For example, I'm currently staying out near Nimmanheiman and Huey Khaew. Can I find a baht bus to Tha Phae gate, the night market, Airport mall, etc. from here? And of course back. Are there baht buses that just circle the moat? Are the truck colors significant? What's the standard fare? Any info that can help sort out the routes is greatly appreciated.

No particular routes. Just tell them where you want to go they will say yes or no. If there is other passengers they might take you in a round about way. I pay 20 baht. They will some times ask for more. Some times I agree other times I just say no. I rarely try to bargain with them.

If I am in your area and I want to go to the night bazaar I would expect to pay more for it.Not sure of the different color songtells. I know form around the city the red one is the one to get. Just hold your hand out. Tuck tucks are more expensive but if you are in a hurry and have to be there fast they are the best. They take you right to your location with out any other stop. They are 50 baht and up. Some of them will try to rip you off with 100 baht charges.

Enjoy the city.

As far as I can tell, none of the red songteaws have an actual route. They just go where they want to go.

The official rate is (I think) 15 baht, but, because of high gas prices, almost everyone that I see - including Thais - pays 20 baht for a ride if the driver just says yes to where you are going and does not ask for more. If you are going a long ways or somewhere that is not convenient or if the driver wants to rip you off, they will sometimes ask for more. You have a much better chance of paying only 20 baht if there are other riders going the same way that you are.

It takes a while to figure out which places are very popular and it is easy to get a ride at the basic rate, but it is not a good idea to start assuming that all of the drivers are trying to cheat you (as many newbies do), because most of them are honest and just trying to earn a living. In fact, I would say that goes for Thai people in general as you will hear a lot of crap about them being cheats and IMO a great deal of the time of the time it is not true. Of course, the longer you are here and figure out how things work, the less you have to deal with dishonesty, but it is always best to be careful without being paranoid.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I live near CM Uni.

Normally I use my scooter to get around.

However when I have friends visiting and we go out for a drink of a night I use the Red Songtow.

Uni to Moon muang Rd. I normally give B40 and no problems ever.

Return well from say Old Bell Loi Khro Rd B70-B100 depending on time of night.

Baht bus, I do not know if you mean the Red Songtow or the bigger purpose built bus which I have never used.

Oh I agree most Thais in CM are basically honest folk just trying to make a living for them and theres.

john

The red ones usually go within the city center but not always. If you want to take a red songtaew to say (for example) Big C Superhighway then some will take you but it will cost you 100-140 Baht. Just tell the driver where you want to go and how much. If there are other people on-board and it is in the city center, then the fare is usually 20 Baht.

The different colors of the songtaew can be confusing because there are different shades of green, blue, etc. So you need to ask the driver where he or she is going.

Yellow: one shade of yellow goes North to Mae Rim, etc. while the other shade of yellow goes in the direction of Hang Dong.

White almost always travels East to San Kamphaeng.

Blue: one shade of blue goes in the direction of, and to, Lamphun while I think the other shade of blue goes to Sarapee.

Dark green goes North East to Mae Jo. I think another shade of green goes to Borsang.

There are also orange ones but I haven't figured out where they go.

If you jump on one along Nim that has people on, it should go past Thapae Gate and be 20 baht - to make sure, walk to Huay Kaew and jump on one going east. If there's no-one in, you can charter and the same journey would (should) be 60 baht depending on time of day. If there's a group of you it should be 20 baht each. Be aware that when you ask the driver where he's going when empty, it typically means you've chartered. Always ask the price and note that coloured ones (not red) ply destinations radially from towns outside CM. Tuk-tuk similar price (if a tad more), though, as said, starts from 50 baht.

As far as I can tell, none of the red songteaws have an actual route. They just go where they want to go.

The official rate is (I think) 15 baht, but, because of high gas prices, almost everyone that I see - including Thais - pays 20 baht for a ride if the driver just says yes to where you are going and does not ask for more. If you are going a long ways or somewhere that is not convenient or if the driver wants to rip you off, they will sometimes ask for more. You have a much better chance of paying only 20 baht if there are other riders going the same way that you are.

It takes a while to figure out which places are very popular and it is easy to get a ride at the basic rate, but it is not a good idea to start assuming that all of the drivers are trying to cheat you (as many newbies do), because most of them are honest and just trying to earn a living. In fact, I would say that goes for Thai people in general as you will hear a lot of crap about them being cheats and IMO a great deal of the time of the time it is not true. Of course, the longer you are here and figure out how things work, the less you have to deal with dishonesty, but it is always best to be careful without being paranoid.

If you head towards the river and the markets, you will find there are also yellow buses, which work in another area.

Yes, most of the drivers are honest and helpful. The only time I've been caught out was when I thought I'd hired one for 150THB, from the bus terminal to Thae Pae gates. However he continued to drive around the city collecting folk, and we eventually got to our destination - everyone paying 20THB - except for me!

Next time I'll use a tuk-tuk.

Yes, most of the drivers are honest and helpful. The only time I've been caught out was when I thought I'd hired one for 150THB, from the bus terminal to Thae Pae gates. However he continued to drive around the city collecting folk, and we eventually got to our destination - everyone paying 20THB - except for me!

Next time I'll use a tuk-tuk.

I guess that does happen every once in a while, but I always pay 20 baht from the bus station as they are usually heading to Thapae Gate anyway. :D

If I am in your area and I want to go to the night bazaar I would expect to pay more for it.

I can usually do that ride for 20 Baht.

It's a popular route, he might stop at Kad Suan Kaew a few minutes and then follow the moat to Changmoi down to Wororot Market and then on to the night bazaar, where there's a chance of picking up more people.

If it were the other way around I would say expect to pay more for it.

IMOHO try not ride with drivers who are touting for passengers or songtaew that are parked you will always end up paying more than the 20Baht standard pricing everyone else is paying.

Always flag down a passing songtaew if possible.

Remember the driver in most cases is renting the truck he is driving. The tuk-tuk drivers is renting as well. They are all trying to make as much as possible is that a rip off or just good business. Having said that 20 baht for most rides, chartered for a particular journey what ever is haggled.

They head in along the main roads then circle the moat, price is 20 bht.

Going out is harder as every one will circle the moat, but only some will go on the road out you want. Easiest to get one to the outgoing road for 20 bht, then another up the road for 20 bht.

Name your destination to the driver, if he says yes, get in, when you get out hand him 20 bht and walk off.

The yellow/white/blue ones cruise up and down the major outlying roads and also charge 20 bht.

Chang Mai gate to San Patong 20 bht, Chang Puak to Mae Rim 20 bht, Wororat Market to Doi Saket 20 bht, etc.

(The colours mean almost nothing, the sign above the cab gives the destination in Thai)

Cheaper in Pattaya, only 10 bht.

Edited by ludditeman

Worth checking out Galare Thong Condo on Chang Klan Rd. http://www.galarethong.com/

-Mestizo

Thanks. I've spotted that one before and will check it out today. Looking at the location, I'm guessing it flooded there this year, right?

Also off to look at Pacific Mansion. I'm probably doing this backwards. Might be easier to find a girlfriend first and then get her help with the accommodation. But that approach would be the wrong motivation and a little opportunistic. Still... rolleyes.gif

Remember the driver in most cases is renting the truck he is driving. The tuk-tuk drivers is renting as well. They are all trying to make as much as possible is that a rip off or just good business. Having said that 20 baht for most rides, chartered for a particular journey what ever is haggled.

Kinda like back home we always tried to get the most we could from our employer. Many of us used a union to do it for us.:jap:

I guess that does happen every once in a while, but I always pay 20 baht from the bus station as they are usually heading to Thapae Gate anyway. :D

Last time I took a bus from the Arcade bus station it cost me 80 THB to Furama Hotel on Haui Kaew Road near Nimmanhaemin Road. It was around midnight. What would be the normal prices for such a location and time of day, with or without other passengers?