Thai Cabinet Endorses Thaksin Amnesty Plan: Reports

webfact

Thaksin sure is popular guy with non thais as well as thais ( although that may be unpopulare!) Why do so many non Thais have such a negative view of this Ex Man City player?

Now when is the concert and are there any tickets left.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He payed people to burn bangkok how could they let him back?

Proof please.

The red shirt demonstations in Bangkok were paid for by him and he gave all the orders just like he is doing now, You shoud read up on the subject, Thats why he was charged with terrorism.

Edited by maeab

I'm not exactly a fan of both sides and I think that bringing Thaksin back will not be in anyway beneficial to Thailand. It's a start of another crisis.

As a guest of the country and unable to vote I think it wise that Farangs should keep their views to themselves Big Brother is watching YOU !!!!

And here we go with the 'guest' thing again. After 20 years I'm still a guest huh? Not what we call those of differing nationalities in my home country. Can you imagine Abdul saying to Ravi, 'Always remember, we are guests here'.

Maybe you should follow your own paranoid advice and don't bother posting if you don't feel it right that we 'guests' should express an opinion. Or in your case, not.

Just to clarify for crazykopite.

People that live (reside) here are thus residents. They extend their visas on an annual basis as required by law..

However, they are NOT deemed permanent residents .

Guests would more likely be tourists or people here for short periods of time.

Immigration department requires residents to report their residence address every 90 days.

I believe that is fairly logical?

The People's Alliance for Democracy will hold a meeting next week ...

I better pack my bag before the airport close, again, and this time not flooded by water, but floofed by yellow men.

The Facebook page opposing the amnesty has exploded with "I am attending"s and presently stands at 26,506 - up from about 16,000 less than three hours ago.

There was never any way the PAD wouldn't arrange some form of protest against this, and I think an awful lot of extras, who consider themselves "neutral" will show up when they do. My comment in Thai said "bad decision at a bad time for the benefit of a bad man". And I am absolutely not a PAD member.

edit to add the link: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=177436405680294

Edited by Pi Sek

He payed people to burn bangkok how could they let him back?

Proof please.

The red shirt demonstations in Bangkok were paid for by him and he gave all the orders just like he is doing now, You shoud read up on the subject, Thats why he was charged with terrorism.

I think sparebox2's point is that Thaksin denies ever paying for the protests. Despite all his call-ins, and his direct contact with the protest leaders, he also said he didn't even know any of them. Personally I think he's a liar, but I can't provide any proof because I don't have his bank records. I think from memory that the DSI got something about some obscure female Peua Thai minister receiving ridiculous amounts of money from Dubai and forwarding it to Nattawut & Co., but I can't (be bothered to) find anything on Google. I'm sure Buchholz can help ;)

If what they do is legal and democratic there should be no problem. If what they do is illegal or undemocratic it should be a problem.

And of course as of yet we dont even know if this was really discussed or is just made up or if it was discussed that it was discussed as stated, but in the final analysis it is just about is it done legally and democratically. If it is then there is no problem.

Yep. Let's just ignore the conflict of interest.

15 million people voted for that government... NOT FOR THAKSIN!!!

PTP is Thaksins party, he is running it from Dubai!

Thats funny, I thought Yingluck was the prime minister!!!!! In fact she stated that "Thaksin did not have a say in the composition of her cabinet" and it is pure coincidence that the police chief and those in the top hirearchy of the police ranks were his classmates and relatives.

After all he only offers her the occasional bit of "brotherly advice" and chats about the beautiful weather in Dubai, you know, things like "you don't get much rain here, what's the weather like in Thailand at the moment"??????

She is there "not to help Thaksin" but because she likes the challenge of trying to run the country without any previous political experience - you know just to see if she can do it!!!. Apparently she spends a lot of time crying at the moment - tears of joy I think, as if to say Thank you for giving me this wonderful opportunity to realise my dreams. You know what??? "Life can be very kind to you some times", I'm truly jealous :jap:.

The place has never been out of crisis since Thaksin left, now he has the backing of the Military, the Police, the Government and more importantly his X-wife. Who I remind you has got the rest of the cash and they will probably get back together. :whistling: I say the place cant get any worse, bring old matey back.B)

The place has never been out of crisis since Thaksin change the law to sell his company.

Why do people's memory start at the coup, and they ignore everything before it?

If what they do is legal and democratic there should be no problem. If what they do is illegal or undemocratic it should be a problem.

And of course as of yet we dont even know if this was really discussed or is just made up or if it was discussed that it was discussed as stated, but in the final analysis it is just about is it done legally and democratically. If it is then there is no problem.

Yep. Let's just ignore the conflict of interest.

Wasn't there some shenannigans to do with "conflict of interest" with that corrupt property deal?????

The place has never been out of crisis since Thaksin left, now he has the backing of the Military, the Police, the Government and more importantly his X-wife. Who I remind you has got the rest of the cash and they will probably get back together. :whistling: I say the place cant get any worse, bring old matey back.B)

The place has never been out of crisis since Thaksin change the law to sell his company.

Families who lost loved ones to the bird flu, the war on drugs, and various other clampdowns and murder of witnesses and whistleblowers, would put the beginning of the crisis a little further back.

Bangkok pundit has a full look at the collective pardon (as it should be termed) issue complete with history. Some anti-Thaksininstas seem to think that it is the most acceptable way to get over the Thaksin issue too. Basically it seems likely the cabinet, which is acting as other cabinets have, would just take last years Dem terminology and remove only one clause - the clause excluding those convicted of corruption which was inserted to target Thaksin at that time. The process is bascially the cabinet makes any recommendation it likes and the decision is then made under prerogative. Of course that Thaksin is a huge political issue is going to make this heated but reality is that without resolving the Thaksin issue, there will never be reconcilliation, and increrasingly more people who dont like Thaksin realise that an accomodation is needed. Still could all end up in coups, if the military hol together, and violent reactions to them if things go too far.

Pushing this now with the country suffering is poltically risky to say the least, but then again violently opposing it is too. It just depends on where the sympathy of the people lies - putting it off to a better time when the country has moved forward or just getting it over now so the country can move forward.

One thing is for sure the country doesnt need any poltical accidents or changes of government right now that will result in delays and neutral gears as people and industry want to see recovery

Does ignoring Thaksin's crimes resolve anything? All that does is take things back to early 2006.

Because it's soooooo, sooo convenient, to forget "the ugly facts" as it messes up their argument something chronic!!!!!:unsure:.

How many people have died because of Taksins ambitions?

A lot more to come

He has had more than 5000 people killed fom the north, Mae sai to the far south.

I think its ONLY 500+ so nothing particularly worth worrying about!!!:blink:.

Thai opposition outrage over 'secret' decree that would allow Thaksin Shinawatra to return

Thailand's opposition was up in arms on Wednesday over a cabinet decree agreed in "secret" that would give an amnesty to the ousted fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and allow him to return home.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, 44, who has continually said she did not expect her brother to return to Thailand any time soon and that it was not a priority of her government, was supposedly detained up country because her helicopter did not have radar to allow it to fly at night.

But at the cabinet committee on Tuesday officials were told to leave the room as the ministers debated the decree. Official papers relating to the decision were also removed from press releases, according to the Bangkok Post.

Continues:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/8893514/Thai-opposition-outrage-over-secret-decree-that-would-allow-Thaksin-Shinawatra-to-return.html

The Telegraph - ‎3 minutes ago‎

Thai government wants amnesty to let Thaksin return - reports

Thailand's government has put forward proposals for an amnesty for convicts that seem designed to allow self-exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return home without serving a sentence for abuse of power, Thai media reported on Wednesday. The proposed amnesty was agreed at a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, media said. No mention was made of it in a statement after the meeting and ministers have declined to comment.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was not present at the meeting and all officials were asked to leave the room when the issue was deliberated," the Bangkok Post daily said, citing sources at Government House, the prime minister's office. Yingluck is Thaksin's sister and is widely seen as his proxy at the head of his ruling Puea Thai Party. From the moment she took office in August, critics said she had been installed by Thaksin to help bring him home a free man.

Thaksin, 62, was convicted of abuse of power in 2008 and fled before a two-year sentence was handed down. He never spent any time in jail and lives in Dubai, travelling frequently on passports granted by Montenegro and Nicaragua following the cancellation of his Thai passports.

Continues:

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE7AF0QS20111116

Reuters - ‎52 minutes ago‎

A military source said yesterday the Mi-17 helicopter was actually equipped with radar and could fly at night. Ms Yingluck's delegation also could have had another helicopter for her return on Monday night, which the military was ready to provide.

The source said the prime minister's delegation seemed to intentionally extend her trip in Sing Buri because they boarded the helicopter nearly an hour later than scheduled.

Corruption on top of corruption and so transparent.

The military done a nice little bit of stiring. I wonder is another coup iminent? Or more riots perhaps? Or will it be Mai-bpen-rai?

Made me mad reading the article and I'm not Thai.

jb1

"equipped", but is it "working"

The Black Hawk have radar too. And it still clash in day-light.

I wouldn't take the risk, would you? Honestly.

Equipped but is it working. What do you think? Ok so they can still crash in daylight. So daytime/nightime no difference But she has still been using them over the time that she has been PM.

jb1

Night time the risk is higher.

Same same my mum ask me not to drive long distanct at night (to other provinces). Because the risk is higher.

Does that mean I will crash at night? Not likely, but my mum is no fool too, and I listen to her.

I think YS have made a wise choice.

It was planned that way. Why diden´t she leave earlier so she could be back in BKK before dark?

when will you farangs realize this is the 3rd world? why do you keep judging this clown show to your western standards?

so <Snip!> tired of hearing farangs bitch about Thai ways. DC & Wall Street is far more corrupt than BKK.

Edited by metisdead
Expletive removed.

when will you farangs realize this is the 3rd world? why do you keep judging this clown show to your western standards?

so <Snip!> tired of hearing farangs bitch about Thai ways. DC & Wall Street is far more corrupt than BKK.

Fortunately, we are not in the Untied States of America.

tulsathit

@tulsathit tulsathit

Chalerm says he would talk about the rumored "amnesty" this afternoon at Parliament.

53 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Sounds like we will find out more this afternoon

Not really. Chalerm's talk this afternoon essentially consisted of saying the Pardon request was still secret and won't be discussed, other than a committee has been formed to prepare it.

This move seems to be a clear reversal of voiced promises by Yingluck during the campaign that her mission was not about one man. Not that anyone is surprised.

Agreed.

If there is truth in the reports, the plan would undermine or contradict virtually every public comment Khun Yingluck has made about her brother and his status as a fugitive since she became Prime Minister.

With her non-attendance and professed ignorance of her own Cabinet meeting's contentious proceedings providing negligible ability for denial. ;)