Thai Baht At A High Over The Last Few Days? And.. Best Bank For Atm Withdrawal

Dont use an ATM, go inside the bank with your passport and ask them to do it manually through their desktop device and you wont pay any fee. If they ask you to use the ATM tell them you forgot the number and want a manual transaction.

Hi

It may not be exactly the information you are after but - I had a very pleasant suprise after questioning the teller at the forex counter at Siam Commercial Bank.

On Tuesday I was in The Paseo (shopping court) on Onut Road (about 5k west of the north entrance to Swampy airport) and gave her a horrified look when she offered me a rate in the 47 point something range for £1000 of bank notes. She kindly directed me 50m away to a small kiosk offering exchanges and I was given more or less an extra baht per £ at 48.86 - no paperwork frenzy, no fee on top, no photocopying of all (exaggeration) the bank notes and an extra 1000 baht into pocket. Not certain it would beat 'Superich' (sp?) that I have heard will more or less be the best or thereabouts, but that is way down the road in Bkk for me and this is my local.

There was also a guy in there exchanging sackfulls of Singapore dollars and he seemed made up too!

So good luck with the search hope this info helps you or A.N. Other.

:)

Edited by magpie3

I tried superrich1965.com/Eng/location.aspx and siamexchange.co.th/index.php siam exchange was a tad better (like 00.05 better) Tried Aeon aeon.co.th/aeon/ there was no monopoly bank 150 fee. Aeon has a branch now in Terminal 21 bottom floor. Went to 5 different banks in CNX, asked for "manual withdrawal" from debit card, they all looked confused, one tried it as a credit card, didn't work. One person was helpful and said the currency exchange booths have swiper boxes inside, I might try it there. Didn't try it yet. Possibly because I was in a less touristy area, they didn't know about manual withdrawal? I thought "manual withdrawal" was for not having kids :wai: Or is it when you take the operators manual out of her glovebox?

One note about a specific Superrich location, it is on the pedestrian walkway under BTS Phrom Phong near Emporium (elevated walk). It seems the monitor for displaying the rate has been "broken" for months. You have to ask for rate, then operator gives you a scribbled note with rate after checking comp. screen. I have to wonder (cust. can't view screen) if this "rate" might be a tiny percent in favor of the operator of that particular location? Company might offer 47.5 operator tells you 47.45, pockets 0.05 of each transaction? Other locations I have seen have rate screen fully operational as this would benefit pulling in more cust. Also the attitude of the guy at the Emporium BTS Superrich I dealt with seemed bothered that he had to give out their rate to me, unlike other locations I have dealt with.

I heard a 'buzz' from a friend this morning, that the government plans to devalue or weaken the Baht next week, to assist tourism & exporters with recovery from the floods. Presumably (I don't know) this might be done by having the BOT make a serious cut in interest-rates ?

I must emphasise, this is just a rumour, and may well prove to have no foundation, who ever knows about these things ? :huh:

But it might explain the weakness of the Baht against the US$ over the past few days, referred to by the OP, if the 'word' was now leaking out ? Presumably those 'in-the-know' are busy converting their Baht into dollars, or whatever ? We shall see shortly ... B)

Edited by Ricardo

From news reports over the last few weeks BOT seems to telegraphing a rate cut of 25 to 50 basis points which would probably weaken the baht, if it hasn't already been priced in by the FX markets. BOT next meeting is 30 Nov I think and that is when they would provide their decision on the interest rate.

Nam, I would agree with you generally speaking but other issues may influence fractionally.

Does anyone see any reason why I should (continue to) wait another week(s) to unload a wad of USD in the next few days? Rate seems to be +.05B each day last two days.

BOT adjustment downward seems unlikely imo. You can't play with your currency to potentially encourage tourism but who knows - maybe export trade is so screwed, its all Thailand has left after the floods.

BTW: Superrich site states that its posted rate is only good at the main branch so no whining about other rates at other locales.

Edited by bangkokburning

Yes, off your cc will cost you 2.5%

ชำระได้ วงเงินไม่เกิน 150,000 บาท Bank charge 2.5% ต่อรายการ สอบถาม 02-655-2488.

Potentially answering my own question...x rates on the usd are WAY down today and appear to be updated. Super is quoting 31.05, down .2.

He who hesitates is lost...

Maybe it has to do with the long US holiday. No one wants to lose as everything will be closed for 4 days in US which is possibly 5+ here. Anyway, I guess I will hold out till next week.