Under 5000 A Month Housing

bamboozled

ok another post by a lazy dude who doesn't want to do the internet legwork in searching out affordable housing. But jokes aside, perhaps a fellow farang has first-hand experience about a cheap monthly rental. I live in Chiang Mai but am in Bkk a fair bit and it might make sense to keep a cheap room and pay the monthy rate instead of hotels all the time. I remember a friend of mine had a place in Thonburi that was just fine but we have since fallen out of touch. Anybody got input on this one?

you do not have to be lazy on www-as tipically these places are not on the web. But you HAVE to be unlazy in walking around, looking, learning to see the signs-mee hong wang hay chao- and ask and inspect and make the deal. Tipically those westerners who cannot adapt to how Thaild works seem to think that these things should be on www.

Ask your newly found girlfriend to look into Thai sites like hongpak or hongwang.

The easiest way to find concentrations of residences is to zoom into an area of interest in Google Earth and then type "Mansion" and/or "Apartment" in the search box. That will show up clusters of residential blocks, then go walkabouts.

That google map technique is a novel approach, good on ya! Thanks yous lozza. I'll give it a try.

The easiest way to find concentrations of residences is to zoom into an area of interest in Google Earth and then type "Mansion" and/or "Apartment" in the search box. That will show up clusters of residential blocks, then go walkabouts.

Nice idea with the Google map! Thanks

I'm assuming these small apartment complexes will speak only Thai and may only rent to Thais. What have your experiences been regarding this? Can you do a 6 month lease on a tourist visa? I assume you will need to bring a Thai friend to do some translating. I have been to some of these places because that's where my friends live. As long as you're realistic with yourself and know your needs these places are perfectly fine for the average person.

4500 (decent Internet included, plus utilities) get's me a nice clean 30m2 room in Bangjark, 15 taxi-minutes in all directions from Seacon, BTS Udom Suk and Central BangNa.

Hey phaeton -- actually I am planning a winter visit to BKK and was thinking of staying in that part of town. On previous visits I have stayed with a friend who lives at Udomsuk and Srinakarin so I am quite familiar with the area. This time around I was hoping to get my own place.

A couple of questions. First off, are there any vacancies in your building? Second, would they accept a two month stay only? I know apartments usually want at least 3-month or longer but it the vacancy rate is pretty high, then they might bend a bit.

Edited by ultramarine

I asked today and they have no vacancies at the moment, I don't know if that is down to the flooding or not, but perhaps the vacancy rate isn't that advantageous for renters at the moment.I signed for a year to get THB4500; would have been THB5000 on 6 month contract. I don't think this particular place is interested in less than that.

I asked today and they have no vacancies at the moment, I don't know if that is down to the flooding or not, but perhaps the vacancy rate isn't that advantageous for renters at the moment.I signed for a year to get THB4500; would have been THB5000 on 6 month contract. I don't think this particular place is interested in less than that.

Well, thanks for asking anyway. I definitely would not be averse to paying a little more for a shorter contract. Probably some room to bargain there. At those low prices, it's really not a problem. What do you pay for utilities in a month? I was hoping to find an apartment near Seacon Square and Rama IX Park.

BTW, your idea about seaching for apts using Google Earth was really good. No streetview in BKK yet, but it definitely gives you some sense of the lay of the land.

Can you answer my questions please?

These small cheap apartment complexes might only speak Thai but don't only rent to Thais. If you look dodgy for some reason they may turn you away though. In my experience they don't know or care what type of visa you are on. You just put down a 2 or 3 month deposit and pay month to month. Give a month notice before you move out to get your deposit back.