Married, Change Of Surname For Return Flight

Kadafi

Hi got married in thailand a couple of months ago, my wife flew from uk to thailand using her birth surname and now she will return under her married surname. The ticket of course is under her previous name, will showing her marriage certificate at check be ok?

Indeed ^^^, it is the passport that matters.

Assuming she has not changed her passport you will have no issues using her maiden name, if she has changed her passport then you will need to do some explaining, marriage certificate should do the trick.

As above, the passport must match the ticket - If she will fly home on a different passport, you need to get the return leg name changed on the ticket... catches out honeymooners all the time, who think it is romantic to buy the tickets in their new married name, but of course can't have a passport in thier married name until some time after the wedding...

Assuming she is not a UK citizen, of more concern would be ensuring the name in the passport matches her visa...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

The passport has been changed so the new one is now her married surname. Her passport and thai i.d cards have both been changed and the old ones have been taken. I'm hoping that showing them a marriage certificate should be ok. I called the airline and all they said is that it should be fine but couldnt confirm 100%.

Assuming she does not hold another nationality passport. and the old Thai passport,in her maiden name, on which she left UK, has her permission to stay in the uk? (she will need that to allow boarding onto the flight back to the UK, also for entry to the UK,) if she has marriage certificate with English translation, old passport, and new passport there should not be a problem.

Assuming she does not hold another nationality passport. and the old Thai passport,in her maiden name, on which she left UK, has her permission to stay in the uk? (she will need that to allow boarding onto the flight back to the UK, also for entry to the UK,) if she has marriage certificate with English translation, old passport, and new passport there should not be a problem.

Her old uk visa was about to expire, we travelled back to thailand. We got married in thailand, changed her passport and applied for a new uk visa. Her old passport was taken when she applied for the new one.

So basically she has 1 thai passport which has her marriage name in it and also her uk visa. The return flight was booked in the uk while she was staying here, we flew out, married, passport change, new visa and now coming back so obviously flight details were booked when she was not married.

Her old uk visa was about to expire, we travelled back to thailand. We got married in thailand, changed her passport and applied for a new uk visa. Her old passport was taken when she applied for the new one.

So basically she has 1 thai passport which has her marriage name in it and also her uk visa. The return flight was booked in the uk while she was staying here, we flew out, married, passport change, new visa and now coming back so obviously flight details were booked when she was not married.

New passport, new visa in new passport, have your marriage certificate and translation, only the airline to sort it out with, that's what we did with Thai airways, no problemo.

Congrats on your marriage Mr Kadafi.:D

New passport, new visa in new passport, have your marriage certificate and translation, only the airline to sort it out with, that's what we did with Thai airways, no problemo.

Cheers :D happy days! yeah im sure with marriage certificate there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Cheers :D happy days! yeah im sure with marriage certificate there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Especially with a name like yours.. :lol:

Especially with a name like yours.. :lol:

Mrs Kadafi welcome :jap: :D

I would suggest the OP clarifies his situation before arriving at the airport. Statements that the airline reckon it will be fine, but cannot 100% confirm mean only one thing.

The check in area is not the place to be arguing the issue...

I had the same issue. We just took marriafe certs and everythings else (ID, Passports) to the check in drsk a few days before the flight. They changed it there and then.

The agent originally said they couldnt do it so dont listen to them

The airlines office on the phone said i had to buy a new ticket, so dont listen to them.

Rock up at the airport during normal 9-5 hours and they wil change it. You can ask them to print out confirmation that it has been done,

No problem.

In Thailand you should be ok.

I am an Aussie woman who changed name, passport etc after getting married here in Thailand last year. I made a mistake in September and booked return flights to Singapore using my maiden name (tired - booked it just after birth of baby - oops).

Airport did not have a problem in either Bangkok or Singapore and let me fly. I had marriage certificate (don't think they asked for it), copy of old passport etc and was with husband, and was no problem at either check in or gate.

Australia would have gone nuts on me, but ok here.

Although did know a friend who made a typo on the internet booking for her name with Air Asia and they wanted her to pay a ridiculous amount of money to change the ticket name.

I think it depends on the airline staff honestly.

I would say you will be fine based on my experience.

Thanks, my wife will get to the airport with plenty of time to spare so hopefully all should be all right. Some airlines im sure will try it on to make you buy another ticket, if its proved the passenger is the same person but has changed her name due to marriage there is no way they can justify asking for the ticket to be paid for again.