Beer Lao

hazman

TC Kitchen in Ubon sells it.

Thanks Memok, I take it that TC kitchen is a restaurant, I'mafter a couple of cartons beer lao dark but not at restaurant prices<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

Thanks Memok, I take it that TC kitchen is a restaurant, I'm after a couple of cartons beer lao dark but not at restaurant prices

Edited by hazman

Yes Hazman, that is correct. Next door to the Laitong hotel. If you are chasing a few cartons I don't like your chances apart from crossing the border but hopefully someone else on here can shed some more light on a subject I am also interested in! :D

Find a van driver that runs between Ubon and Chong Mek and just ask him to pick some up next trip. Sounds silly but that's what my old neighbor did.

was in phibun mangsahan the other day didnt even think about checking out the possibilty of getting some there.

I doubt you will see any in Phibun either as I could never find any even on the Thai side of the border at Chong Mek.

Like Ubonrthai said, someone bringing it in for you is your best bet or go over and get it yourself.

Mind you, it might pay to go and visit Lance at TC as seeing as you are not a customer of his and you are prepared to buy a few cartons of the stuff he might just sell you some with not too much of a mark up on it.

Quite a few Makro stores carry Beer Lao Dark as well; check out yours. If not available then they can order it for you - THB 60/stubbie incl. VAT.

i was in makro in ubon on saturday had a look in the beer section didnt see any there, will keep the order option in mind Sydbolle. thanks

what i do know is that i got caught up in the worse traffic jam i can remember being in when i left the makro store. :annoyed:

Quite a few Makro stores carry Beer Lao Dark as well; check out yours. If not available then they can order it for you - THB 60/stubbie incl. VAT.

i was in makro in ubon on saturday had a look in the beer section didnt see any there, will keep the order option in mind Sydbolle. thanks

what i do know is that i got caught up in the worse traffic jam i can remember being in when i left the makro store. :annoyed:

OOH yes ; once you leave makro there is no options avaliable! I try to be careful in choosing what time i go there. (late afternoon is definately a no no.)

• 2 weeks later...

ADD: Is there anywhere where one can purchase Beer Lao in Surin...in bulk?

To the absolute best of my knowledge, no, and I've tried pretty hard.

I've just been through this, trying to buy a quantity of Beer Lao (both tamada and dark) anywhere in Thailand, for my recent wedding in rural Surin (see the other thread). A visit to the "official" distributor in Nong Khai revealed that he doesn't sell it retail any more, and suggested we try one of the bars in Khao San Road. While in Nong Khai, we schlepped across the border and managed to get back with a pack (24 cans, not bottles, unfortunately) per person, making a bit of a mockery of the 1l customs rule. Price we got in Laos was 500THB/pack (duty free).

A trip to the place in Khao San Road (forget the name) revealed that they wanted 90THB per small bottle, so I decided against that. I've seen it for sale at 46THB/small bottle in Tops in Bangkok, but they had limited quantities, and were less than interested in ordering more. Checked many Makro stores in various parts of the country, but always came up blank.

The only other place I've found it recently was at a great new Laos-style restaurant in Bangkok on Ratchapruek Road near the intersection with Boromratchachonnani Road, and they were willing to sell it for 60THB/small bottle, but again, didn't have quantities on hand. They were prepared to add our order to their own for their next delivery, but the timing didn't work for us and we didn't pursue it.

I'm in the same boat as many others here - I love the beer, and would be very happy to find a reliable supplier.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

In Chong Mek, ask the motorcycle taxi drivers in front of immigration and they'll do a beer run for you. It's about 30b per bottle; half the price I've paid in Bangkok. They even bring back a duty free receipt. Haha

Edited by ubonrthai

Foodland at Laksi (IT Square) in Bangkok started stocking it last month. Good display middle shelf and THB43 for a small bottle...I bought more than one and am pleased to report I was there yesterday and they still have it on display.

The counter staff (many from Isaan) are always amused when I make my purchase.

Not sure if that indicates they don't sell a lot of it?

Just in case, I'd better buy a case, so they keep it in stock !!

Edited by RegularReader

27 baht? That is only 7,000 kip! Better keep your local to yourself as that is the cheapest I have ever heard of it been sold!

You can get it for 5500 kip a bottle direct from the Beerlao lorry drivers. Don't tell anyone though thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 9 months later...