Expats, If You Could Go Back In Time

expatdreamer

1. Spend more time in bars being told how handsome I was.

2. Believe every story told by drunk farangs in bars about how rich, powerful, smart, they were.

3. Always go with tuk tuk drivers when they are willing to share a special jewelry sale with me.

4. Try to help out more bar girls whose family water buffalo has died.

5. Spend more time watching shower shows in girlie bars...and buy them some nice soaps.

6. Try and ride more motorcy taxis especially driven by guys on ya ba.

7. Never ever pick the "star of the bar".

8. Always sample every selection of strange looking bugs you see.

9. Never look when crossing streets as you know that motorbikes are not allowed on sidewalks

10.Always loan huge amounts of money to Thai people with no income and lots of dependents.

Are you employed by Unilever by any chance ?

old-lux-ad-posters-4.jpg

(On the right of the picture, it's not the shower, it's just pomshop showing his happiness biggrin.gif)

_

Edited by JurgenG

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought more land when it was affordable :annoyed:

I woukld have bought Dang's Hot Dog stand in Pattaya when I had the chance, and would have never sold my Bar in Pattaya Kai to the Japanese Cowboy.........in 1978.B)

Also would not have divorced my Thai wife, the Tapioca Farm I bought her in Mabta Phut, near Rayong made her a fortune when the American Oil Company bought her out. :o

The fact is clear: a very large number of expats feel precisely like I do, especially those who are not Russian and have been here (at least off and on) for several decades.

I've been here several decades, and I don't feel the same way as you do, not precisely and not even close. I don't wear rose colored glasses but then neither do I wear poo-colored glasses, looking at everything as if its crap.

The fact is clear: a very large number of expats feel precisely like I do, especially those who are not Russian and have been here (at least off and on) for several decades.

I've been here several decades, and I don't feel the same way as you do, not precisely and not even close. I don't wear rose colored glasses but then neither do I wear poo-colored glasses, looking at everything as if its crap.

It is what is is for everyone. I can relate to both of you. I like it for what it is yet at the same time I know what it is.

The fact that there is more crime and people with money are being targeted by gangs makes me not want to be there. Yet at the same time there are many good people there who make the country what it is. It is unfortunate what has just happened and what will continue to happen in the near and distant future. What I mean is, the economy will continue to get worse, and will only make the conditions worse after the recent floods. It will be difficult to get through the next period for many people and unless the government really steps up to help the people, there can only be a slow progression to what is happening around the world.

Because most things in life work on cycles and although the exact dates are difficult to say, we have been heading in a particular direction of a cycle for some time and I do not see it turning around until we have hit bottom and it will be much more painful before that happens. Recent major news headlines are a very clear clue to what is at stake and which direction we are presently heading in. You can look for clues in simple things all around you or in international news quite readily. The thing is you need to teach yourself to read between the lines. Take past precedences and go from there.

It is what is is for everyone. I can relate to both of you. I like it for what it is yet at the same time I know what it is.

The fact that there is more crime and people with money are being targeted by gangs makes me not want to be there. Yet at the same time there are many good people there who make the country what it is. It is unfortunate what has just happened and what will continue to happen in the near and distant future. What I mean is, the economy will continue to get worse, and will only make the conditions worse after the recent floods. It will be difficult to get through the next period for many people and unless the government really steps up to help the people, there can only be a slow progression to what is happening around the world.

I am well aware of what Thailand is, I am just not willing to turn my life into a misery laden hell complaining about things over which I have no control. Things change everywhere in the world and anyone who can't accept that is always going to be miserable.

I am well aware of what Thailand is, I am just not willing to turn my life into a misery laden hell complaining about things over which I have no control. Things change everywhere in the world and anyone who can't accept that is always going to be miserable.

"No matter where you go, there you are" - Rawhide

Some people will be miserable no matter where they are.

Some people who claim to be well aware of what Thailand is do not seem to be able to recognize anything that is wrong with it. That is amazing! Then they attack messengers who dare point out reality with statements like "willing to turn my life into a misery laden hell, etc." I, in fact, do not turn my life into a misery laden hell by pointing out things in Thailand that need to be changed. Unlike many others, I see both the good and bad. Yes, things change. To me, accepting negative changes does not make one happy. Happiness, for some, comes from embracing the good and doing something positive about the bad. But to do something positive about the bad you must first acknowledge the bad. It would be nice if posters would stop attacking messengers and stay on topic. By way of review, if I could do it over again, I would only stay here part time (in fact, I would not make Thailand my second home........better places to be). I would not purchase a house or condo (renting is better). I would not get married to a Thai woman and try to change her life and the lives of her family members. And I would not go into business with a Thai.

Because most things in life work on cycles and although the exact dates are difficult to say, we have been heading in a particular direction of a cycle for some time and I do not see it turning around until we have hit bottom and it will be much more painful before that happens. Recent major news headlines are a very clear clue to what is at stake and which direction we are presently heading in. You can look for clues in simple things all around you or in international news quite readily. The thing is you need to teach yourself to read between the lines. Take past precedences and go from there.

In other words, you do not have a clue.

images1.jpg

Some people who claim to be well aware of what Thailand is do not seem to be able to recognize anything that is wrong with it. That is amazing! Then they attack messengers who dare point out reality with statements like "willing to turn my life into a misery laden hell, etc." I, in fact, do not turn my life into a misery laden hell by pointing out things in Thailand that need to be changed. Unlike many others, I see both the good and bad. Yes, things change. To me, accepting negative changes does not make one happy. Happiness, for some, comes from embracing the good and doing something positive about the bad. But to do something positive about the bad you must first acknowledge the bad. It would be nice if posters would stop attacking messengers and stay on topic. By way of review, if I could do it over again, I would only stay here part time (in fact, I would not make Thailand my second home........better places to be). I would not purchase a house or condo (renting is better). I would not get married to a Thai woman and try to change her life and the lives of her family members. And I would not go into business with a Thai.

Mmm, never mind. I posted and deleted, no point really.

You assume about me what you want but after over two decades here, I can assure you I am able to recognize the deficiencies, so lets just leave it at that shall we? Regardless, I am refuting your idea that I would agree with you, please speak for yourself and don't pretend to speak for everyone who has lived here a long time.

As for the topic, what would I do differently? Not a damn thing. Life cannot be lived with woulda coulda shoulda filling it.

:whistling:

Hard to decide actually.

One thing that comes to mind is that in 1973 I was offered a job in the "computer" industry by a U.S. company called Digital Equipment Corporation in the U.S.

It would have meant a one year training course at a local university and then a job at "trainee" status with the company. However, the salary was crap, and I chose to take a different and better paying job outside the U.S. as a communications/electronics technician instead.

And that decision eventually brought me to Bangkok for the first time in 1979.

For those who don't know DEC became a major player in the large (mainframe) computer industry in the 1970's but did not go into the emerging "personal" computer (IBM compatibles) field...instead they stayed with the large and expensive mainframe computers in 1980.

That was a bad decision for them, and they didn't survive the 80's.

In short, they were no Apple or MicroSoft. But for 5 to 10 years at least they were the big fish in the corporate ocean of computer companies.

Always wondered how my life would have turned out IF I had taken that job with DEC. Might have been more financially rewarding...but definately more boring also.

As the saying goes...you pays your money and you takes your chances.

:o

Mmm, never mind. I posted and deleted, no point really.

You assume about me what you want but after over two decades here, I can assure you I am able to recognize the deficiencies, so lets just leave it at that shall we? Regardless, I am refuting your idea that I would agree with you, please speak for yourself and don't pretend to speak for everyone who has lived here a long time.

As for the topic, what would I do differently? Not a dam_n thing. Life cannot be lived with woulda coulda shoulda filling it.

Good, you do see that there are problems in Thailand. I never said every person who has lived here a long time agrees with my view. Historians and people who think it is important to learn from past mistakes would disagree that "life cannot be lived with woulda, coulda and shoulda filling it." And the OP is asking people do engage in "woulda, coulda, shoulda." As for the topic........:)

^

As per your earlier post the really good days occurred in the 80’s and 90’s.

For all I know you could be right but personally I can’t really remember what events (positive or negative) occurred in my life one year ago let alone 20-30 years ago.

Seems to me you’re living in the past which is ok I suppose.

As to the topic I think things are neither bad or worse.

Maybe different :)

If I could go back in time, I would have purchased gold with every spare penny.

Other than that I don't think I would have changed much.

Buying silver would have been far better than Gold. Gold has skyrocketed, yes, but its rise pales into insignificance compared to silver's astronomical rise.

I'd have stayed in Pattaya, rather than let my wife talk me into moving to the village. Big mistake.

It's not the village that was the problem, it was the idle nephews that bugged me so much I had to leave. I couldn't stand seeing them do nothing to help their old granny, and as I couldn't change them, and I couldn't accept it, we had to leave.

My second trip to Thailand as a civilian was after investing six figures in a company which made jetboards. I received distribution rights for SE Asia for that. The company finally went bankrupt this year after years of mismanagement and probable fraud.

If I could do it again, I would not have made the investment and merely come here for other reasons (heck, the first reason was more than good enough and ended up evolving into my current job.)

To make it even worse, part of my initial investment came from selling stock in a then-struggling company. You might have heard of it: Apple?