Thailand Gives Ex-PM Thaksin Passport Back: Govt

webfact

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minister said this was done because Thaksin is harmless and is not considered a security risk to the country.

"However I consider Khun Thaksin as harmless to the country. Therefore, I decided to revoke the order," Surapong said.

Firstly, should Surapong not refer to Pii Thaksin?

Secondly, who is behind the violence of Ratchaprasong and more recently bomb placements in Bangkok...

If he is harmless, does this mean he is yesterday's man?

Edited by DavidMoi

"No government agency, including the police -- judiciary and interior ministry -- opposed the re-issue of Thaksin's passport," he said.

Now there's a suprise seeing he has relatives in key positions...:rolleyes:

"Thaksin had applied for an ordinary passport via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates on October 25.

The Foreign Ministry issued the passport for Thaksin on October 26" via diplomatic pouch on the same day

do all ordinary Thai citizens get service like this ?.....:whistling:

my moneys on...he will be sitting in Chang Mai eating his Somtam by year end...:rolleyes:

jap.gif

Money talk BS walks !

That's the way it is, it's not going to change even if Thaksin and his gang disappeared overnight - get over it and get back to what you were doing, ranting and raving about principles and law here are completely besides the point.

I don't think it is your right to tell people what to have feelings on. You may disagree, but many here, especially those who lived through the Thaksin administration, think that things got worse during that time with regards rule of law and with regards abuses, and things are getting worse again now - and that doesn't make them naive enough to think that things will suddenly improve if he and his gang disappeared overnight. But things just might start to slowly improve.

Now you can argue about **which** mafia you prefer to run the show here, or argue for "reconciliation", IOW "the one on top should try to be somewhat fair about sharing in the spoils of power with the other side and not be too greedy about keeping every last scrap from falling off the table". That was his real "crime", the only real reason he was ousted.

Whatever noble or whatever selfish reasons were behind his ousting that you care to believe in, many who witnessed his war on drugs campaign for example, or witnessed the stranglehold on power he was developing, and the arrogance that emboldened him with to blatantly abuse his position, didn't care so much about what the reasons or motivations were, just that he was ousted. Of course had he been ousted at the ballot box that would have been far more preferable, but that is moving onto another discussion area...

That's the way it is, it's not going to change even if Thaksin and his gang disappeared overnight - get over it and get back to what you were doing, ranting and raving about principles and law here are completely besides the point.

I don't think it is your right to tell people what to have feelings on. You may disagree, but many here, especially those who lived through the Thaksin administration, think that things got worse during that time with regards rule of law and with regards abuses, and things are getting worse again now - and that doesn't make them naive enough to think that things will suddenly improve if he and his gang disappeared overnight. But things just might start to slowly improve.

Now you can argue about **which** mafia you prefer to run the show here, or argue for "reconciliation", IOW "the one on top should try to be somewhat fair about sharing in the spoils of power with the other side and not be too greedy about keeping every last scrap from falling off the table". That was his real "crime", the only real reason he was ousted.

Whatever noble or whatever selfish reasons were behind his ousting that you care to believe in, many who witnessed his war on drugs campaign for example, or witnessed the stranglehold on power he was developing, and the arrogance that emboldened him with to blatantly abuse his position, didn't care so much about what the reasons or motivations were, just that he was ousted. Of course had he been ousted at the ballot box that would have been far more preferable, but that is moving onto another discussion area...

I totally agree with Rivalex in both pieces above.

I came here to live some 30 odd years ago and I have followed Thai politics closely since then, I 'saw' his ruthless and uncaring war on drugs day by day, I saw him blatantly and openly tell the police to just shoot on sight, (and let's not forget that not one drug lord / drug kingpin was touched in any way, I followed the growth in arrogance of the man, I watched him deliberately, openly and with determination destroy the checks and balances, I watched him openly abuse his power, watched him severely intimidate the judiciary and the media (several Thai journalist were sued for 10's of millions of Baht for daring to ask basic questions), I watched him order govt., officials to loan massive amounts of money too the thug generals in Burma for the purpose of enriching his own family, I watched him order/demand his trt party to support the overnight reversal of mainstream investment laws so that he could sell his telecom company to Singapore, I watched him move numerous relatives into positions of power (in one case his relative jumped 5 ranks in one move), I watched the evening broadcasts on government run TV, which were at times totally untruthful about the real facts and the real analysis of numerous situations. Many Thais were becoming quite frightened of what would happen next, he several times made statements to the foreign press like 'democracy is not important to me or to Thailand*', and 'the Thai people want me to be president for life'. (*I'm sure some folks will remember the incident when a foreign journalist asked him a direct question which made his squirm, his response was 'idiot scum', and the journalist was deported the next day.)

I do also agree that nothing would quickly & totally correct all the ills that Thailand has (like many countries), but I most certainly don't see thaksin and his 'pyramid get rich quick club' as a credible, structured, or genuine force for real change.

Edited by scorecard

Just for the record, will say that i'm not fond of these "comparisons" discussions either. Not necessarily because there are no comparisons to make, but because they always end up derailing threads and taking us off at a tangent.

of course there are comparisons to make... just like surely you could find comparisons to make with 'good' leaders too, it doesn't make them the same... it's just very silly!!

tho i didn't realise they were just comparing him to 'hitler - the early years' lol

As many already know

What Thaskin did in the past, thats history

What he will do in the future, now that he thinks he can do what he wants

This is the real worry

No. 1 problem in Thailand is the educated young adults in their early 30's can not speak again their older parents, even they know Thaskin is no good,

So he controls ultimate power

But in the next 10 - 15 years the Uni educated young Adults (my Thai wife and hundreds of her friends) included will be those making the votes and decisions in the villages

That gives him him and his family only a short time to rape Thailand peoples finances

I came here to live some 30 odd years ago and I have followed Thai politics closely since then, I 'saw' his ruthless and uncaring war on drugs day by day, I saw him blatantly and openly tell the police to just shoot on sight, (and let's not forget that not one drug lord / drug kingpin was touched in any way, I followed the growth in arrogance of the man, I watched him deliberately, openly and with determination destroy the checks and balances, I watched him openly abuse his power, watched him severely intimidate the judiciary and the media (several Thai journalist were sued for 10's of millions of Baht for daring to ask basic questions), I watched him order govt., officials to loan massive amounts of money too the thug generals in Burma for the purpose of enriching his own family, I watched him order/demand his trt party to support the overnight reversal of mainstream investment laws so that he could sell his telecom company to Singapore, I watched him move numerous relatives into positions of power (in one case his relative jumped 5 ranks in one move), I watched the evening broadcasts on government run TV, which were at times totally untruthful about the real facts and the real analysis of numerous situations. Many Thais were becoming quite frightened of what would happen next, he several times made statements to the foreign press like 'democracy is not important to me or to Thailand*', and 'the Thai people want me to be president for life'. (*I'm sure some folks will remember the incident when a foreign journalist asked him a direct question which made his squirm, his response was 'idiot scum', and the journalist was deported the next day.)

I do also agree that nothing would quickly & totally correct all the ills that Thailand has (like many countries), but I most certainly don't see thaksin and his 'pyramid get rich quick club' as a credible, structured, or genuine force for real change.

This was Thaskin in his early days

If he gets back into power

You have seen nothing yet

Just for the record, will say that i'm not fond of these "comparisons" discussions either. Not necessarily because there are no comparisons to make, but because they always end up derailing threads and taking us off at a tangent.

of course there are comparisons to make... just like surely you could find comparisons to make with 'good' leaders too, it doesn't make them the same... it's just very silly!!

tho i didn't realise they were just comparing him to 'hitler - the early years' lol

As many already know

This is the real worry

No. 1 problem in Thailand is the educated young adults in their early 30's can not speak again their older parents, even they know Thaskin is no good,

But in the next 10 - 15 years the Uni educated young Adults (my Thai wife and hundreds of her friends) included will be those making the votes and decisions in the villages

That gives him him and his family only a short time to rape Thailand peoples finances

Your Thai wife and hundreds of her friends? Oh sorry well yes...they're all so educated here...jap.gif

I think someone has pressed the replay button.

As many already know

This is the real worry

Your Thai wife and hundreds of her friends? Oh sorry well yes...they're all so educated here...jap.gif

And your point is ???????

Montenegro revokes Mr T's passport because he harms Montenegro?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

Sorry i believe that a passport is a human right, especially when your out of the Country. It is a deprivation of the right to travel. Even if you accept that he was guilty of the offence that he was convicted of, is the removal of his passport justified ? If they were consistent and did it for people convicted of more serious criminal activity then i might have some sympathy. This was a political act and nothing more.

I am not aware of other established democracies removing natural born citizens passports on such spurious grounds.

This was Thaskin in his early days

If he gets back into power

You have seen nothing yet

I think that the above post really does sum Thaksin up, the best thing for the country would be for him to drop dead of natural causes! Sadly though nasty pieces of work seem to go on forever. The country is saddled with a muppet government, who first task is to serve his interests.

The minister said this was done because Thaksin is harmless and is not considered a security risk to the country.

"However I consider Khun Thaksin as harmless to the country. Therefore, I decided to revoke the order," Surapong said.

Firstly, should Surapong not refer to Pii Thaksin?

Secondly, who is behind the violence of Ratchaprasong and more recently bomb placements in Bangkok...

If he is harmless, does this mean he is yesterday's man?

Isn't Khun like Mr and Pii and Nong are when you are referring respectfully to the relative age of the speakers.

Second'y, who actually knows ? Was he responsible for members of my family being stuck in Swampy for a good long time when the airport was invaded ?

These sticks and stones things are a little puerile really. They are over and very sad for the people who died and the people and businesses caught up in them. However, going over and over them will not bring them back. There are far more important problems to be resolved in Thailand and the World.

Personally as a supporter of Khun Thaksin i would leave him where he is. Hopefully, his sister can move the Country forward, become her own woman and the legacy of the Coup be forgotten. South Africa managed to put a lot worse behind them, Northern Ireland has equally managed to move on from the awful situation that existed there. Thailand's issues are not on a par with either and so with some maturity on both sides a wonderful Country can be restored to it's former glory.

Sorry i believe that a passport is a human right, especially when your out of the Country. It is a deprivation of the right to travel. Even if you accept that he was guilty of the offence that he was convicted of, is the removal of his passport justified ? If they were consistent and did it for people convicted of more serious criminal activity then i might have some sympathy. This was a political act and nothing more.

I am not aware of other established democracies removing natural born citizens passports on such spurious grounds.

Since when is it a human right to be able to travel?

Most people that are convicted of serious (or any crimes) and sentenced to jail don't leave the country, therefore there is no need to cancel their passport. Most people who are released on bail have to forfeit their passports if they are considered a flight risk.

What is so "spurious" about a convicted criminal having his passport cancelled?

What is the normal turn around for issuing passport, I amsure is not one day

No shame for this government, they continue to think theyare above the law

A US passport can be issued in around 1 hour.

A normal passport or an emergency passport? Can a normal passport be issued in another country within a day?

Sorry i believe that a passport is a human right, especially when your out of the Country. It is a deprivation of the right to travel.

cheesy.gif

Defending the rights of someone who has been convicted to a jail term, to travel overseas. Indeed, how unfair and inhumane can you get to try and deprive them?! People on the run from crime should be aided by the state in their fleeing endeavours. In fact, how about the authorities provide them with some free air miles courtesy of Thai Airways. Unfair not to really.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you people are totally bonkers.

Hate to beak your bubble but the air port take overs and riots in central Bangkok were done under a democratic Government.

I for one think Thailand does not need that kind of Democracy and if it takes an military take over to put a end to it so be it.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs that those kind of actions can be tolerated just because it is a Democracy.

What was so terrible about the military it would not have allowed either one of those actions. Doe's that bother you.

All the things I listed happened as a result, once more, of Thai military interference in politics in the shape of the 2006 coup and the abrogation of the 1997 peoples' constitution (a constitution if you remember which was the first to be written as a direct result of the military dictator Suchinda's coup and bloody crackdowns in 1992).

Anyone calling for military dictatorships and coups clearly doesn't have the first clue about Thai history and should be ashamed of themselves for doing so.

+1