Can I Register This Bike In Thailand?

Livinginexile

Hi All,

This bike is not available to the public but I have one (brand new, still in the box, full military specs)on it's way to Thailand.

I would like to register it in Thailand but i'm worried because there is no other type available on the market if I can get it registered.

Here are the specs:

The HDT-RMCS motorcycle is a collaborative venture between Hayes Diversified Technologies (HDT) of California and RMCS to develop a production diesel motorcycle. The engine was designed at RMCS and is being produced by HDT. Development has been undertaken jointly by HDT and RMCS. The bike uses a Kawasaki KLR 650 rolling chassis, modified for military use. Current status of the project is that pre-production bikes have been fully trialled and evaluated by the US Marine Corps. As a result of these trials, the USMC has now accepted the bike for service, and production is expected to commence next year. USMC currently has gasoline KLR650s in service and all these will ultimately be converted for the diesel engine. The UK MoD currently has several bikes under test, and other NATO armies, including France and Germany, have expressed serious interest. We are now looking at other applications, both motorcycle and non-motorcycle, for this engine technology. However, there are NO immediate plans to offer the motorcycle to civilian customers, as we are presently fully committed in satisfying military orders. It is possible that a civilian version of the bike will be made available eventually but this the cost would be about 20% up from a standard bike. For the foreseeable future, while the Military are swallowing the cost of this machine, they are unlikely to want to see it sold cheaply to the general public.

Based on a Kawasaki KLR650 the current version of the bike sports a 670cc engine is designed to run on either diesel or aviation kerosene. Some parts from the original engine, such as the generator, have been used on the new machine in order to save money but essentially this motorcycles engine is completely new. This makes this machine completely unique, it being the first purpose built diesel motorcycle engine ever built.

Anyone out there know what is the process to legally register this bike in Thailand?

Cheers in advance

Bike.docx

Would it pass California emission?

Thailand has the world stringest emission requirements for gasoline engines. No idea what the rules say for diesel bikes.

Your first challenge is customs, I would not focus on the diesel issue there, just state what kawasaki model you are bringing in. Would guess duty around 150-200k baht, its 80% of value and perhaps they use ER6n value at 250k baht

Next is excicetax

Next is emission

then its roadworthy test, shouldnt be aproblem as TH accepts DOT

Thailand has the world stringest emission requirements for gasoline engines. No idea what the rules say for diesel bikes.

Your first challenge is customs, I would not focus on the diesel issue there, just state what kawasaki model you are bringing in. Would guess duty around 150-200k baht, its 80% of value and perhaps they use ER6n value at 250k baht

Next is excicetax

Next is emission

Thanks for the info!

Actually customs is not a big problem for me as the bike is coming in through UK government chanels, my only concern is registering the bike in Thailand. As you rightly stated, it's one of a kind being diesel and not available to the public. These bikes have never been certified by any international emision agency.

I would go to the Thai RTA myself but at the moment I'm working in Cambodia, I will come back when the bike arrives.

Any info/advise greatly appreciated.

Next is excicetax

Next is emission

Thanks for the info!

Actually customs is not a big problem for me as the bike is coming in through UK government chanels, my only concern is registering the bike in Thailand. As you rightly stated, it's one of a kind being diesel and not available to the public. These bikes have never been certified by any international emision agency.

I would go to the Thai RTA myself but at the moment I'm working in Cambodia, I will come back when the bike arrives.

When you get a chance, can you post up some technical specs on the engine?

Thanks,

Garry

Next is excicetax

Next is emission

Thanks for the info!

Try to get some military interest generated.

Before you start any proceedings!!!!

Edited by hansnl

Nice!

KLR670ARMY2.JPG

If you're bypassing customs and bringing it in via UK government channels... maybe you can get a license plate that way too? Maybe a military license plate or something like that....

I'd imagine that if you're going to go register it the first thing they'll ask for is the customs import declaration / excise tax receipts and so on. Those papers are also important to prevent the police from impounding the bike on the spot when they see you riding without license plate.

Odds are against you. Besides taxes not paid on the import, without a letter from the Ministry of Commerce allowing the bike to enter the country you may never get past first base. Second, unless the bike is actually a commercially available bike, i.e. petrol engine in your case, they wouldn't know what to do with it. A good example of their naivity is that trikes are not able to register in Thailand because they have three wheels and don't fit the definition of a motorcycle. Good luck to you.

Edited by Sojourner

Odds are against you. Besides taxes not paid on the import, without a letter from the Ministry of Commerce allowing the bike to enter the country you may never get past first base. Second, unless the bike is actually a commercially available bike, i.e. petrol engine in your case, they wouldn't know what to do with it. A good example of their naivity is that trikes are not able to register in Thailand because they have three wheels and don't fit the definition of a motorcycle. Good luck to you.

The trike issue may change if the cops get them in any significant numbers. Photos taken by me at CMBW 2010

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

The trike issue may change if the cops get them in any significant numbers. Photos taken by me at CMBW 2010

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

Well the good news is, I see Trykes riding around happily all over Chiang Mai. I imagine they paid import tax though so if stopped they'll have to pay the fine in the worst case.

So I guess for the OP the first quest will be to obtain the proper import documents. Once you have those at least your bike won't be impounded.

3 wheel motocy can be registered in TH, and the 3 wheels are noted in green book page 4 position 21. Tiger retro is even homoleg as a 3 wheeler

Now quads/atv is another story, not bikes, not cars, so cant be registered for public road use

if the bike comes in via government channel, then I would suppose you will be registering the bike as a Diplomatic Vehicle. That way there should'nt be a problem to get it registered and plated with a Diplomatic Number Plate. If you don't have Diplomatic Status and just bringing in the bike that way then this is another story.