General Tsao'S Chicken

KRS1

Heads up for anyone who knows and likes Chinese General Tsao's chicken.

The new crispy chicken at Pizza Co is the same thing as General Tsao's chicken under the disguise of their new crispy chicken dish.

It's not called General Tsao's on the menu, its called crispy something something or other.

Thanks for the heads up! Oddly enough, the food I miss most living here is American Chinese food despite the fact that I rarely ate it in the US. I can cook most other things but have failed miserably when it comes to general tso's.

Thanks for the heads up! Oddly enough, the food I miss most living here is American Chinese food despite the fact that I rarely ate it in the US. I can cook most other things but have failed miserably when it comes to general tso's.

As a Brit, I had to google this. I think we just call it sweet and sour chicken balls. biggrin.png

why you wanna make me hurt my brain thinking about it? crazy.gif

I dont think its silent, ah heck i dont know.

I understand from Wikipedia, that General Tso's chicken is sometimes Governor Tso's chicken, General Tao's chicken, General Tsao's chicken, General Gow's chicken or General Gau's chicken.

To be honest, I think chicken balls is easier.

I'm pretty sure General Tso's chicken (spelling may vary but its General not Governor) is the most common and the dish is nothing like sweet and sour chicken balls. Give it up. I reckon its probably on well over half the Americanized style Chinese restaurants in the US. Nobody said it was authentic.

Edited by Jingthing

No, it is not a side dipping sauce dish. It is a sweet fatty greaseball type dish. It's for American tastes. It is not sweet and sour. It is sweet. Often some chili is added but usually not much. It's passed off as Hunan food, which it is not.

Edited by Jingthing

it's sweet and sour, but not as sweet as sweet and sour. Has more of a salty tinge than sweet and sour does. Vinegar is used for the sourness, but the real deal uses tamarind juice. Which is what really differentiates it from regular sweet and sour.

Also known as Admirals Chicken in Navy mess halls.

it's sweet and sour, but not as sweet as sweet and sour. Has more of a salty tinge than sweet and sour does. Vinegar is used for the sourness, but the real deal uses tamarind juice. Which is what really differentiates it from regular sweet and sour.

Yeah, you are probably right about the sour element. I stand corrected. However, I do feel the taste profile is definitely different than standard sweet and sour and also in my experience there are the CHILIES in it which you would never see in a sweet and sour pork dish, thus the rationalization of the ersatz Hunan origin.

Maybe off topic, but I was recently reading about Kung Pao chicken, which is a REAL Sechuan Chinese dish that is massively popular in the US (I love it). What I read is that in China it is very poorly valued, considered food for very poor people, even kind of embarrassing to order, apparently due to the cheap peanuts it was a staple during the historic starvation times there.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, you are probably right about the sour element. I stand corrected. However, I do feel the taste profile is definitely different than standard sweet and sour and also in my experience there are the CHILIES in it which you would never see in a sweet and sour pork dish, thus the rationalization of the ersatz Hunan origin.

Maybe off topic, but I was recently reading about Kung Pao chicken, which is a REAL Sechuan Chinese dish that is massively popular in the US (I love it). What I read is that in China it is very poorly valued, considered food for very poor people, even kind of embarrassing to order, apparently due to the cheap peanuts it was a staple during the historic starvation times there.

I would give absolutely no regard to how the Chinese "value" a given dish. They've got the worst palletes on Earth. So is this General Tsao's dish the one that sort of has a savoury honey glaze and is sprinkled with sesame seeds? Or am I thinking of something else?

Love kung pao too ! I usually flash fry dried peppers for a few seconds and take them out just to give the oil a smoky, chili taste without getting too spicy.

ah man, is there anywhere to get chinese food like this in CNX ?...i need it...

I'm pretty sure General Tso's chicken (spelling may vary but its General not Governor) is the most common and the dish is nothing like sweet and sour chicken balls. Give it up. I reckon its probably on well over half the Americanized style Chinese restaurants in the US. Nobody said it was authentic.

It's authentic American-Chinese food, isn't it? It depends on one's frame of reference. I bet you could do super authentic Ametrican Chinese Takeaway food, and judging from some forum posts here, it would be a huge hit.

Speaking of balls, I recently discovered battered & fried Larb Issan Balls. Brilliant. I need to get loads of these as party snacks for newyear's.

It's authentic American-Chinese food, isn't it? It depends on one's frame of reference. I bet you could do super authentic Ametrican Chinese Takeaway food, and judging from some forum posts here, it would be a huge hit.

Speaking of balls, I recently discovered battered & fried Larb Issan Balls. Brilliant. I need to get loads of these as party snacks for newyear's.

Yes it is definitely authentic Americanized Chinese food. That is Chinese style food for American tastes. Chinese Americans (at least the ones I have eaten with) tend to like food closer to real Chinese.

Of course dishes like Kung Pao Chicken popularly served in the west are much sweeter than they would be in China and also usually (sadly) lack the hot and numbing "má là wèi xíng" Sechuan peppers (totally different than regular hot chilies).

Ask any Chinese restaurant owner in the US what Americans like and they will say -- lots of sugar and lots of sauce!

Edited by Jingthing

why you wanna make me hurt my brain thinking about it? crazy.gif

I dont think its silent, ah heck i dont know.

I understand from Wikipedia, that General Tso's chicken is sometimes Governor Tso's chicken, General Tao's chicken, General Tsao's chicken, General Gow's chicken or General Gau's chicken.

To be honest, I think chicken balls is easier.

Didn't know that chickens had balls.