Cds Won't Work

Kremlin

I bought a bunch of data CDs (pc games and software) last July and they don't work anymore. I know they worked when I first bought them. I left them in the plastic sleeves that they came in. Is it ussual for the cheap CDs that vendors use to degrade over time?

I've tried the CDs in 3 different computers and can only pull a few files off at a time. In my laptop the CDs sounds like they're rubbing against something so they may be a little warped, although they don't look so. I was thinking that the paper insert in the plastic sleeve might have transferred to the CD, so I ran the CD through a machine that fixes scratches and still no luck.

Any ideas? I guess I learnt my lesson and will back up the data when I buy software from now on. I just bought a 300gb external drive so thats not a prob for now. I hope the same doesn't go for DVD movies. I know one time a DVD wouldn't work because the middle of the disc had a spot that looked burnt (defect from manufacturing proccess) and I guess that threw off the balance enough for the DVD not to play.

I bought a bunch of data CDs (pc games and software) last July and they don't work anymore.  I know they worked when I first bought them. I left them in the plastic sleeves that they came in.  Is it ussual for the cheap CDs that vendors use to degrade over time? 

I've tried the CDs in 3 different computers and can only pull a few files off at a time.  In my laptop the CDs sounds like they're rubbing against something so they may be a little warped, although they don't look so.  I was thinking that the paper insert in the plastic sleeve might have transferred to the CD, so I ran the CD through a machine that fixes scratches and still no luck.

Any ideas?  I guess I learnt my lesson and will back up the data when I buy software from now on.  I just bought a 300gb external drive so thats not a prob for now. I hope the same doesn't go for DVD movies.  I know one time a DVD wouldn't work because the middle of the disc had a spot that looked burnt (defect from manufacturing proccess) and I guess that threw off the balance enough for the DVD not to play.

Seems strange I have CDs that I bought many years ago on my first trip and after reading this post got them out and tried them and no problems they were fine maybe too much heat where you stored them ??

I bought a bunch of data CDs (pc games and software) last July and they don't work anymore.  I know they worked when I first bought them. I left them in the plastic sleeves that they came in.  Is it ussual for the cheap CDs that vendors use to degrade over time? 

I've tried the CDs in 3 different computers and can only pull a few files off at a time.  In my laptop the CDs sounds like they're rubbing against something so they may be a little warped, although they don't look so.  I was thinking that the paper insert in the plastic sleeve might have transferred to the CD, so I ran the CD through a machine that fixes scratches and still no luck.

Any ideas?  I guess I learnt my lesson and will back up the data when I buy software from now on.  I just bought a 300gb external drive so thats not a prob for now. I hope the same doesn't go for DVD movies.  I know one time a DVD wouldn't work because the middle of the disc had a spot that looked burnt (defect from manufacturing proccess) and I guess that threw off the balance enough for the DVD not to play.

Seems strange I have CDs that I bought many years ago on my first trip and after reading this post got them out and tried them and no problems they were fine maybe too much heat where you stored them ??

My other CDs work, but it may have just been too much heat for these CDs. I just have fans in my Apartment. The thing is some CDs work long enough for me to copy 1/4 of the contents then I have to put the cd in a few more times to copy the rest of the CD. Its hit or miss whether it'll see the CD. Other CDs don't work at all anymore.

Anyone know of some tricks I could try?

Believe it or not, there actually is a type of fungus that eats the layer where the data is stored on CD's and DVD's, which causes the CD's to malfunction. I've had discs that after a year or so are completely see-through - just a piece of plastic :o Buy an external hard drive (quite cheap today) and transfer disc contents you want to keep on to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1402533.stm