Becoming Accostomed To Thailands Climate

westcoastnative

I made my first trip to Thailand in late July. I stayed in Bangkok and Phuket. I generally enjoyed my stay but the climate was somewhat difficult to get used to. The humidity and heat wore me out. I am relatively young and very healthy. My question to those of you who have been living in Thailand for sometime is how long does it take to get used to the climate. I hope to move to Thailand someday but I am wondering if I will be able to adjust to the heat and humidity. Thanks for your feedback.

well, I would say it took me a few months to adjust. when I first moved here, the first week in October (not the hottest time of the year) it was very difficult. At Christmas, I returned to the States for a couple of weeks. Becasue of the unpleasantness of the heat and humidity and also because of illness (primarily food poisoning including an overnight at Bumrungrad hospital), I was very uncertain if I could live in Thailand. I returned but with the thought in mind that if things didn't improve for me I would have to move back to the US. But, things did improve.

Overtime I have adjusted quite a bit to the climate. I still find the heat more difficult than a Thai person but much less difficult than someone from the US or Europe. For example, a couple of months ago I went out for the afternoon with a friend from England who was here on Holiday. As time went on, his shirt was soaked with perspiration and I was completely dry. When I first came here, I would have been the same as my friend.

> how long does it take to get used to the climate?

You don't. :o You do however get used to feeling hot, sweaty and generally worn out all the time. :-)

Plus you learn to work around it.. How (not) to dress, which side of the road to walk on to catch the shade, schedule your life so you don't go run errands at high noon in the hot season, etc, etc.

And Bangkok and Phuket can be particularly brutal.. Somewhat better up North, many (but not all) months of the year.

I’m working in sunny Kazakhstan and living in the sticks (Khonkaen). In the winter I get on a plane at -30’C and get home at +30’C, Usually takes me about a week to get over it.

Tiger7moth must be in a different location to me, as the best time of the year is December and January with an average 30’C and April’s is usually the hottest before the rains come.

> how long does it take to get used to the climate?

And Bangkok and Phuket can be particularly brutal..  Somewhat better up North, many (but not all) months of the year.

Both BKK and Phuket are a joke compared to Tokyo 5 months of summer.

As for Thai climate, I think I was born for it. If it weren't for my gf, I would have forgotten there is an aircon or even a fan in the room.

I would say it took me a year to acclimatise.

If you come here to work then you have little choice of location but if you are retiring then you can find somewhere cooler.

Just 40km from CM are places that only have two seasons, cold and wet.

If you tend to sweat a lot you lose minerals from your system and this can make you feel lethargic. It often helps if you take a salt replacement suppliment, such as Staminade.

It is mainly taken before strenuous sporting activities but it can help on very hot days if taken in moderation.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

The first 10 years I lived in Thailand I avoided being here during the hot season (March-May) but after that amountn of time I did in fact get used to it. It doesn't feel so hot to me anymore.

I've found that sleeping in an air-conditioned room - which I did at first, but not

anymore - made the heat seem all the more intense whenever I left the a/c cocoon.

You also learn to engage in less physical activity during the hottest part of the day, and to avoid clothing (such as blue jeans) that aren't appropriate for the climate, most of the year.

Some expats never stop sweating though - I guess place of birth and genetics play a role too.

It took me about a year and I estimate about a 10 to 15 degree Fahrenheit change. Meaning what felt like 80 to me then now feels like upper 60's. Now if I run my AC it is set at 27 C just to remove some of the humidity. I may have to take a short trip back to the states in the dead of winter (New England) for about a week. I am not looking forward to it.

It took me a good year to acclimatise, I still can't compete with my TG though. At first the heat used to wear me out, not now, I do the usual things, avoid anything strenuous, walk in the shade etc. My biggest problem was mozzie bites, after needing 2 minor, but very painful, ops on infected bites I was seriously thinking of throwing in the towel. I'm glad I stuck it though, despite having numerous scars on my legs from bites I now don't have any problems. I get bitten most days, but apart from itching a bit that's it, my TG has more problems with bites than I do. My advice, if you're otherwise happy here, stick it out, eventually it'll get better.

As the others have pointed out, it takes several months or a year to adjust to the heat and humidity. I slept with the AC on every night when I first came here. Now, I only turn it on once a month or so. I think that using the AC a lot at home keeps you from getting acclimated.

I think it has a lot to do with your lifestyle, here as well. If you are living and working in a mainly air con enviroment the chances are that you will never fully acclimatise, I spend most of my time outside and although I still do sweat a lot (I think its just genetic), I dont feel that hot. I do have the aircon on at night but only set at 25C, less than this and I feel cold, and thats with a quilt on the bed.

Westcoastnative, Living here is quite differant from being a tourist here. As a tourist you tend to be out in the hot sun ,walking around a lot more trying to cram in as much as you can in the limited time that you are here. As a resident i tend to stay inside a lot more and leave what i have to do outside untill its cooler in the late afternoon.

Exactly, as COBBER said, your lifestyle is completely different once you settle down here. It's like everywhere, isn't it? If you live in a country, you tend to stay put where you are and tourists often know more of the sights than you do yourself!

Climate-wise, I feel pretty comfortable here. I lived in Pattaya for a year ten years ago and returned in July this year to stay. Back then, I had acclimatised within four months or so, so much that in "winter" I had to put a thin jacket on because I was cold!

I've been here for 2 1/2 years and pray to god every day in thanksgiving for the life of the man who invented air conditioning. It's hot. Thailand is a climate for crocodiles and frogs, not human beings.

3 seasons I can tell;

1. Hot and no rain

2. VERY hot and no rain

3. Hot and rain

The climate is one of the main reasons I am looking to leave Thailand. I'm seriously thinking about Mexico. There are a large range of climates in Mexico. If you want to be in a hot tropical climate you can go to the Yucatan. But you don't have to live in it ALL THE TIME.

It is oppressive and robs your body of energy and maybe even your soul. I can't take it any more and so I will most likely be leaving. Back in California I used to be more active and enjoyed going outdoors hiking and walking in the park and playing tennis. It is impossible for me to do those things here. I walk 4 minutes from my condo to the 7-11 and by the time I get home I have to take a shower. I swear I've taken more showers in the last 2 1/2 years living in Thailand than I may have taken over the last 5 years of living in California. At least 3 showers a day some times 4 or 5 showers a day.

I'm just tired.

ajarnernest

I've been here for 2 1/2 years and pray to god every day in thanksgiving for the life of the man who invented air conditioning. It's hot. Thailand is a climate for crocodiles and frogs, not human beings.

ajarnernest

This crocodile always feels the humidity in Thailand. I go through shirts in minutes when out of the airconditioning. I tend to wend a crisscross route from bar to bar when going anywhere. (Come to think of it, I do that everywhere :o )

My size doesn't help. (Although, that may have something to do with my bar habits)

It took me a couple of years to get used to the heat.

Now, I never use air-con at home but do at work.

I learned how to take it easy and not go walking about or playing golf at noon.

I never have a problem with sweat now, but my first year here I did - due to travelling around Bangkok on non-air buses.

I was often de-hydrated, as I didn't drink enough water and too much booze.

Now I drink about 15 bottles of soda a day plus 10 cups of tea and about 3 litres of water.

I love the humidity. Weird, I know :D.

As for the sweating, my husband is Thai and he sweats alot too, so does his dad. Maybe its a genetic thing?

Anyway, I think it has helped me that I live by the sea so I get lots of fresh air and sea breezes. However, by May I head back to the US to visit my parents. Gives me a break from the heat and spring in the Rockies can be lovely (as long as it doesn't snow :o )