A Contribution To Silly Battery Questions

Semper

Same, no flame. But, a starter solenoid just don't die in the blink of an eye. There is normaly some starting problems involved before it calls it a day. Anyway, any suggestions for the next candidate (battery)? The former was a GS 100 Amp.

smile.png

I wasn't suggesting it dying but what I have found is over the years gunge builds up inside and if it's been stood a while, in possibly damp or humid conditions, the solenoid will stick. I've had great success rejuvenating starter motors by stripping the solenoid, cleaning the inside with WD 40 on a cloth and re-assembling. Of course the guys charging an arm and a leg for a new starter motor won't tell you that.

Yep.....

Semper, i would also consider disconnecting the earth lead on the battery when you know the car will

be unused for long periods, and during that time give the battery a trickle charge with a charger to keep it

fully charged. This will prolong the life of your battery for vehicles that aren't used often.

If you want to be really professional then fit an isolator switch to the main battery lead for easy on/off

option.

Semper, i would also consider disconnecting the earth lead on the battery when you know the car will

be unused for long periods, and during that time give the battery a trickle charge with a charger to keep it

fully charged. This will prolong the life of your battery for vehicles that aren't used often.

If you want to be really professional then fit an isolator switch to the main battery lead for easy on/off

option.

Thanks, I'll try the disconnect thing as I don't use the car a lot.

Edited by Semper