Time To Call A Spade A Spade

GuestHouse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think colonist may be appropriate, as most expats what to make the place a warm reflection of their home lands. Jim

Maybe the Daily Mail can come over and do a story about immigrants/foreigners to Thailand who don't bother to learn the language, don't pay enough tax, spend all their time drinking beer and hanging around each other in their own 'ethnic' bars, harrassing the local women, threaten the local culture and don't bother to get proper visa's.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

I think colonist may be appropriate, as most expats what to make the place a warm reflection of their home lands. Jim

Maybe the Daily Mail can come over and do a story about immigrants to Thailand who don't bother to learn the language, don't pay enough tax, spend all their time drinking beer and hanging around each other in their own 'ethnic' bars, harrassing the local women, threaten the local culture and don't bother to get proper visa's.

They've done that already under the heading of 'benefit claimers living in Pattaya sin city.'

I would love to be an immigrant, unfortunatly my extension of stay is based on a NON immigrant visa. ....so an expat I shall remain.

Right, you'd only be an immigrant in Thailand if you had PR.

If you don't like the term Expat then use emigrant.

I disagree - you become an immigrant when you acquire Thai citizenship.

Maybe the Daily Mail can come over and do a story about immigrants/foreigners to Thailand who don't bother to learn the language, don't pay enough tax, spend all their time drinking beer and hanging around each other in their own 'ethnic' bars, harrassing the local women, threaten the local culture and don't bother to get proper visa's.

From PC to misandry.

Is this the first troll thread of the new year?

From PC to misandry.

Is this the first troll thread of the new year?

You tell us.

By the way, did you swallow a dictionary when you were a kid?

Apologies for the off topic but while we're at it can we dispense with the "Next" at the end of a post which, in my humble opinion, rather than make the poster appear to have presented an irrefutable argument or point, merely makes them appear to be a pretentious <deleted>.

An important point. Can we have a poll on this? Where is JT?

I have always assumed that the term "expatriate" is used to define employees who were posted away from their home country, and who received special benefits, in cash or in kind, as recompense.

The first time I ever heard the term was when I was posted to Hong Kong, and my letter of appointment included the term "expatriate benefits". By this definition, I doubt that very many posters would actually be expatriates.

I have always assumed that the term "expatriate" is used to define employees who were posted away from their home country, and who received special benefits, in cash or in kind, as recompense.

The first time I ever heard the term was when I was posted to Hong Kong, and my letter of appointment included the term "expatriate benefits". By this definition, I doubt that very many posters would actually be expatriates.

Not necessarily anything to do with working although foreign workers are often called expatriate workers

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/expatriate

Apologies for the off topic but while we're at it can we dispense with the "Next" at the end of a post which, in my humble opinion, rather than make the poster appear to have presented an irrefutable argument or point, merely makes them appear to be a pretentious <deleted>.

You have a point. biggrin.png

Not gonna happen.

Next.

• Like 2

I would love to be an immigrant, unfortunatly my extension of stay is based on a NON immigrant visa. ....so an expat I shall remain.

Right, you'd only be an immigrant in Thailand if you had PR.

If you don't like the term Expat then use emigrant.

I disagree - you become an immigrant when you acquire Thai citizenship.

I think you become an immigrant when you make somewhere you're permanent (or maybe just indefinite) home; otherwise there would be no illegal immigrants...

Personally, though, I'm an expat.

SC