Black Numbered Plates And Green Numbered Plates

NanLaew

There's pickups with white plates with black lettering and then there's some with green lettering on white. The latter has been registered as a commercial vehicle I reckon.

What are the pros and cons of registering a pickup as a commercial?

2 door pickups are registered with the 'green' writing and 4 door pickups/cars are registered with the 'black' writing

The main difference for you is the vehicle tax cost - 2 door is around 900bt, 4 door is around 6000bt per year

More Info - http://en.wikipedia....tes_of_Thailand

totster biggrin.png

green on white, one seat row allowed to seat 2-3 people. Insuread and legal for only this number of people

black on white, more than one seat row allowed to seat max 9 people, Insured and legal for between 3 and 9 people, check reg book and Insurance

as black on white allows more people, annual tax is higher (4 door 3,0 pickup is 6.800) and Insurance of course is higher as it covers more people

2 door pickups are registered with the 'green' writing and 4 door pickups/cars are registered with the 'black' writing

The main difference for you is the vehicle tax cost - 2 door is around 900bt, 4 door is around 6000bt per year

More Info - http://en.wikipedia....tes_of_Thailand

totster biggrin.png

green on white, one seat row allowed to seat 2-3 people. Insuread and legal for only this number of people

Not sure this is entirely true. The extra cab type of vehicle have two rows of seats and are insured for 4 people, they are registered green on white.

totster :D

2 door pickups are registered with the 'green' writing and 4 door pickups/cars are registered with the 'black' writing The main difference for you is the vehicle tax cost - 2 door is around 900bt, 4 door is around 6000bt per year More Info - http://en.wikipedia....tes_of_Thailand totster biggrin.png
Not sure this is entirely true. The extra cab type of vehicle have two rows of seats and are insured for 4 people, they are registered green on white. totster :D
nope. check reg book, one seat row for 2-3 people then check insurance the seats are illegal, but not cracked down on, yet. unless you are in an accident, you may be charged for bringing more passenegers than allowed, and each illegal passenger can claim you for up to 1 million baht 3rd party liability

2 door pickups are registered with the 'green' writing and 4 door pickups/cars are registered with the 'black' writing The main difference for you is the vehicle tax cost - 2 door is around 900bt, 4 door is around 6000bt per year More Info - http://en.wikipedia....tes_of_Thailand totster biggrin.png
Not sure this is entirely true. The extra cab type of vehicle have two rows of seats and are insured for 4 people, they are registered green on white. totster biggrin.png
nope. check reg book, one seat row for 2-3 people then check insurance the seats are illegal, but not cracked down on, yet. unless you are in an accident, you may be charged for bringing more passenegers than allowed, and each illegal passenger can claim you for up to 1 million baht 3rd party liability

Just to clarify matters. Generally there are now three different types of pick-up on sale here. The 2 door single row of seats maximum bed length; the 2 door double row of seats, reduced bed length (extended cab) and the 4 door double row of seats, minimum bed length.

Just to clarify matters. Generally there are now three different types of pick-up on sale here. The 2 door single row of seats maximum bed length; the 2 door double row of seats, reduced bed length (extended cab) and the 4 door double row of seats, minimum bed length.

Nope, please show me one new 2 door legal for double row of seats. they have reduced excicetax (green on white plates) as they are one row only for max 2-3, and thus insurance also cost less

Nope, please show me one new 2 door legal for double row of seats. they have reduced excicetax (green on white plates) as they are one row only for max 2-3, and thus insurance also cost less

I believe that the majority of new pick-ups have a range of 2 door front/ two 1/2 door rear opening pick-ups. Toyota, Ford and Mazda definitely do. Are you saying that these three well known vehicle manufactures are building illegal vehicles

The cost of the tax varies between different types of vehicle and is based upon a complicated system of vehicle weight, engine size, number of doors, number of seats amongst others. If you could define the calculations, I would be eternally grateful.

We should also clarify the types of taxes being referenced here.

Excise tax is generally a one-off tax paid at time of original purchase and is usually a percentage of the basic price of the item (in this case, pick-up).

Road tax (which I believe we are discussing here) is paid annually whilst the vehicle is used on the public roads and is based upon the information as per the previous post.

I believe that the majority of new pick-ups have a range of 2 door front/ two 1/2 door rear opening pick-ups. Toyota, Ford and Mazda definitely do. Are you saying that these three well known vehicle manufactures are building illegal vehicles

The cost of the tax varies between different types of vehicle and is based upon a complicated system of vehicle weight, engine size, number of doors, number of seats amongst others. If you could define the calculations, I would be eternally grateful.

I believe what Katabeachbum is saying is that the extended cab versions doesn't have two rows of seats. Technically what they have are the front seats and a rear storage area which cannot legally be used for carrying passengers. That is why they don't come with seatbelts in the back.

Of course, we all know that the reality is that the back "bench" is used for seating people, and the police (at the moment) ignores this, just like they ignore people being carried in the bed of a pick-up.

Sophon

they deliver them registerd for 2-3 in front seat row. no seats or belts in "back seat"

2 door one seat row has 3% excicetax

4 door two seat rows has 13% excicetax

4-5 door 3 seatrows as tuna and PJS has 20% excicetax

the 2 latter groups have 6800 annual road tax, the first less

what I do not have the answer to, is if a 2 door is ugraded to be 2 seatrows 5 seater and one is allowed to pay the extra excicetax and annual tax and insurance, is reg plate then swapped from green on white to black on white?

if its done from 2 seater to 10 seater, it is swapped to blue on white (bus), but no further excicetax involved as busses are excepted

I believe what Katabeachbum is saying is that the extended cab versions doesn't have two rows of seats. Technically what they have are the front seats and a rear storage area which cannot legally be used for carrying passengers. That is why they don't come with seatbelts in the back.

Of course, we all know that the reality is that the back "bench" is used for seating people, and the police (at the moment) ignores this, just like they ignore people being carried in the bed of a pick-up.

Sophon

number of passenegers is enforced on expressways and can be enforced if having an accident

I have a Ford Ranger open cab, blue book doesn't specify number of pax( it's blank) and insurance says 3. Rear seat cushion was added by Ford. Green plates.

I assume rear seat cushions was added by dealer appointed by Ford, not by Ford as a maker which would invalidate cars homoleg(general approval) as a 2-3 seater with one seatrow

If I get 4dr + ad caryboy with cushions and maybe cut the floor to make another 5-6 seats in the back,can it get a blue plates and what will be the tax on that?

dont know the annual tax, but believe its less than black on white. No need to cut the floor, unless you want. DLT will inspect, make a note in book page 18 and page 4.

Insurance will need to be changed

and you need DriversLicence for 10

If I get 4dr + ad caryboy with cushions and maybe cut the floor to make another 5-6 seats in the back,can it get a blue plates and what will be the tax on that?

dont know the annual tax, but believe its less than black on white. No need to cut the floor, unless you want. DLT will inspect, make a note in book page 18 and page 4.

I've checked with DLT today,if changed to blue plates the tax is only 1800 BHT(in CM)...they have to see the truck to verify,if it's fit for 10 pax.

I didn't know,that different license is required ?...any more on that...and I assume the insurance will be higher too ??

I've checked with DLT today,if changed to blue plates the tax is only 1800 BHT(in CM)...they have to see the truck to verify,if it's fit for 10 pax.

I didn't know,that different license is required ?...any more on that...and I assume the insurance will be higher too ??

cool, 5k baht less in annual tax

TH DL with picture of minivan on backside works fine, out of country licence must have similar picture to be valid for 10, usually limited to 7

as for Insurance, ask your insurance and let us know

cool, 5k baht less in annual tax

TH DL with picture of minivan on backside works fine, out of country licence must have similar picture to be valid for 10, usually limited to 7

as for Insurance, ask your insurance and let us know

Not sure youโ€™re aware of this KBB, but as the car gets older the road tax decreases.

So if the Ford in question is 4 years, or older, the savings would be 2K instead of 5K.

I believe that the majority of new pick-ups have a range of 2 door front/ two 1/2 door rear opening pick-ups. Toyota, Ford and Mazda definitely do.

they deliver them registerd for 2-3 in front seat row. no seats or belts in "back seat"

Please could you let me know from where this information originated. The information I currently have (which is old hat) is:

"4.2 Vehicle excise tax in Thailand

On 27th July 2004 the Thai Cabinet approved a new car excise tax package. The biggest

implication on new car prices was the abolition of the OPV (off-road purpose vehicle)

class used for sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) with four-wheel-drive systems. Before the

27th July the tax rate for OPVs was 29%. Under the new system, OPVs are taxed as

passenger cars at four different levels: 30% (1,000-2,000cc), 35% (2,001-2,500cc), 40%

(2,501-3,000cc) and 50% (above 3,000cc). Most vehicles in Thailand have engines below

2500cc. Only about two percent of all cars have engines larger than 2500cc. It was

planned to tax SUVs based on pickups (PPVs) like passenger cars, but industry lobby

achieved that the special PPV category remains. The excise tax for (PPVs) was set to 20

per cent. Tax on fuel cell and hybrid vehicles were set to 10 percent, and those using

natural gas or more than 20% ethanol were set to 20 percent. The tax reduction to 20%

for vehicles that use more than 20% ethanol as a fuel was postponed to the year 2009."

Reproduced from "Life Cycle Costs Analysis of Alternative Vehicles and

Fuels in Thailand - Mr. Martin Goedecke"

I believe that the majority of new pick-ups have a range of 2 door front/ two 1/2 door rear opening pick-ups. Toyota, Ford and Mazda definitely do.

Please could you let me know from where this information originated. The information I currently have (which is old hat) is:

"4.2 Vehicle excise tax in Thailand

On 27th July 2004 the Thai Cabinet approved a new car excise tax package. The biggest

implication on new car prices was the abolition of the OPV (off-road purpose vehicle)

class used for sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) with four-wheel-drive systems. Before the

27th July the tax rate for OPVs was 29%. Under the new system, OPVs are taxed as

passenger cars at four different levels: 30% (1,000-2,000cc), 35% (2,001-2,500cc), 40%

(2,501-3,000cc) and 50% (above 3,000cc). Most vehicles in Thailand have engines below

2500cc. Only about two percent of all cars have engines larger than 2500cc. It was

planned to tax SUVs based on pickups (PPVs) like passenger cars, but industry lobby

achieved that the special PPV category remains. The excise tax for (PPVs) was set to 20

per cent. Tax on fuel cell and hybrid vehicles were set to 10 percent, and those using

natural gas or more than 20% ethanol were set to 20 percent. The tax reduction to 20%

for vehicles that use more than 20% ethanol as a fuel was postponed to the year 2009."

Reproduced from "Life Cycle Costs Analysis of Alternative Vehicles and

Fuels in Thailand - Mr. Martin Goedecke"

all information I post is from my memory, and as your quote says PPV(fortuna and pjs being the most popular) are 20% we agree. as from late 2004 ppvs are allowed to have wheelbase as short as 2,75m and rear coilsprings, and 2wd, but engine still limited to 3250cc

hybrids are presently zero excicetax

all information I post is from my memory, and as your quote says PPV(fortuna and pjs being the most popular) are 20% we agree. as from late 2004 ppvs are allowed to have wheelbase as short as 2,75m and rear coilsprings, and 2wd, but engine still limited to 3250cc

hybrids are presently zero excicetax

May as well leave it at that then.........