Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

Thank you for your reply.

1.1. Do you not believe that every embassy in Thailand has the right and responsibly to notify its citizens of any threat to their safety? If not, why not? SURE, THEY CAN. WHY NOT?

Then you agree with the fact that the American Embassy should, irrespective of what the Thai government think, to warn its citizens of an possible impending terrorist threat.

2. Do you not think that, had the US embassy not issued its warning, that the Thai authorities would have informed the Thai public of this threat? NO, THERE WOULD BE NO REASON TO INFORM... NOTHING MUCH HAPPENED.

You say that despite nearly 400 lbs of explosive making material being found in Sakhon Nakhon (on the information provided by the alleged terrorist). Nothing much happened because the US Embassy blew the whistle on the Thai intelligence agencies. Had they not done so, it is highly likely that the Thai government would be scrambling to explain why a terrorist attack had occurred and they had not warned their citizens. As I have stated before, the Thai government, such as it is, prefers to save face rather than lives,

3. Do you trust that Thai Government will act for the benefit of its citizens, or for that matter, any foreigner living here. NO, THEY ACT FOR THEIR OWN BENEFIT, JUST LIKE THE GOVERNMENTS OF MOST COUNTRIES.

You live here. I would therefore expect you to be among the loudest complainers to your embassy and on this forum, had the terrorists been successful in achieving their objective.

4. Would any of you buy a used car from this mob? NOT SURE WHO YOU ARE REFERRING TO AS "THIS MOB", BUT I DON'T NEED A USED CAR ANYWAY.

That was a rhetorical question. I am surprised that you answered it. Obviously you miss that.

Follow-ups...

#1... I don't see an issue. The Embassy can issue a warning. Why do keep re-stating it? It's not a point of contention.

#2.... Wait? So you think that the Thai government acted only after the US Embassy issued the warning? Just because the Thai government publicly responded to the issue doesn't mean that they weren't doing anything before the warning. They produced info about the guy within a couple hours of the US warning... the Thai government obviously had been working on this for a long time but felt the need to be more public about it because of image issues.

Yeah, nothing happened. No deaths, no bombing. An arrest was made... plenty of arrests are made for all sorts of things without our knowledge. I'm sure not every single "terror"-related arrest in the US is made public, either. No harm, no foul... the only thing different is that you/we know about the event. Events in the world don't only start to happen once you are aware of them.

And saving lives/saving face is the same issue... the Thai government doesn't want an event here. There hasn't been any major international terrorist event in Thailand in almost 40 years. I doubt that this was the first attempt or operation that the Thai government has been involved with.

#3... I don't understand. Why would I or anyone have complained to the US embassy if there was a terrorist event in Thailand?

#4... You asked why no answers to you post, so I answered.

Follow-ups...

#1... I don't see an issue. The Embassy can issue a warning. Why do keep re-stating it? It's not a point of contention.

#2.... Wait? So you think that the Thai government acted only after the US Embassy issued the warning? Just because the Thai government publicly responded to the issue doesn't mean that they weren't doing anything before the warning. They produced info about the guy within a couple hours of the US warning... the Thai government obviously had been working on this for a long time but felt the need to be more public about it because of image issues.

Yeah, nothing happened. No deaths, no bombing. An arrest was made... plenty of arrests are made for all sorts of things without our knowledge. I'm sure not every single "terror"-related arrest in the US is made public, either. No harm, no foul... the only thing different is that you/we know about the event. Events in the world don't only start to happen once you are aware of them.

And saving lives/saving face is the same issue... the Thai government doesn't want an event here. There hasn't been any major international terrorist event in Thailand in almost 40 years. I doubt that this was the first attempt or operation that the Thai government has been involved with.

#3... I don't understand. Why would I or anyone have complained to the US embassy if there was a terrorist event in Thailand?

My riposte is as follows:

You obviously have not been reading the posts on this thread. Many. many posters have been complaining that the US Embassy was wrong to issue its threat warning. My point was in response to these posters.

Have I ever said that the Thai government was not taking any action? No, I have not. However, the fact that the Thai government only complained about the US Embassy alert and not providing an alert itself, does indicate that it was only concerned about the issuance of the alert by the embassy. It is patently obvious to the US Embassy that the Thais were not going to issue an alert so that did it themselves. That us why they tool the action they did. I do not know how long you have been here so I am unsure of how much you know of the Thai propensity to hide the facts and not admit there is a problem.

I was only using the US Embassy as an illustration. If you have another nationality, then I would expect that you would complain to that embassy had no warning been issued and you had been caught in the blast - assuming that you survived. If not, then your surviving relatives would certainly have.

Are you not aware that rhetorical answers do not require an answer? The question speaks for itself.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if the terrorist were threatening Thai people in Bangkok they would see things differently.

Let off a bomb potentially as big as they describe, and the victims would be predominantly Thai.

Probably not hiso.

Pretty harsh statement, but its obvious that the warnings tipped the Thai's hand and they had to react, which isn't very inspiring when they then magically find 4 tonnes of fertiliser at the drop of a hat. This obsession with sitting on stories like this does have a recent and longer history with this bunch.

Bird flu and fresh chicken exports anyone?

MOre than 4000 kg of bomb making chemicals found in wharehouse near BKK. Info from alleged hezbollah detainee.

I suppose some advanced logic/reasoning forum posters will say the detainee was going to use the fertilizer on his Teeraks Issan farm

Perhaps if the terrorist were threatening Thai people in Bangkok they would see things differently.

Let off a bomb potentially as big as they describe, and the victims would be predominantly Thai.

Probably not hiso.

Pretty harsh statement, but its obvious that the warnings tipped the Thai's hand and they had to react, which isn't very inspiring when they then magically find 4 tonnes of fertiliser at the drop of a hat. This obsession with sitting on stories like this does have a recent and longer history with this bunch.

Bird flu and fresh chicken exports anyone?

Hi Thai at Heart.

You have just confirmed what I had said in my last post above regarding the propensity for the Thai government to hide the facts from, not only the Thai people, but from anyone who happens to live or be here.

Thank you.

I note, the above news report doesn't mention what country the arrested supposed bomber was deported to....

Lebanon? Sweden? Dubai?? Israel? USA??? Disneyland??? Hmmm.... I wonder.....

I would assume he would be sent back to Sweden, but it is odd that they do not say exactly.

Hi Thai at Heart.

You have just confirmed what I had said in my last post above regarding the propensity for the Thai government to hide the facts from, not only the Thai people, but from anyone who happens to live or be here.

Thank you.

Well it isn't just this bunch, just revisit Kasit running around in circles trying to find out whether he could, couldn't, should, shouldn't, will, have or did ever get a handle on how to get other countries to help him get hold of whatsisname. The desire to have a photo op, cover one's own ass or incompetence is so overwhelming in this country that the message gets completely mangled and confused.

No wonder all Thai government's hate the internet, the procedure probably is that they have to put out press releases on typewriters on odd sized paper, and have it approved by 100 people. Meanwhile, Chalerm and a few busybodies screw up the story before the poor person has written "From the press offi......."

• Like 1

You obviously have not been reading the posts on this thread. Many. many posters have been complaining that the US Embassy was wrong to issue its threat warning. My point was in response to these posters.

Have I ever said that the Thai government was not taking any action? No, I have not. However, the fact that the Thai government only complained about the US Embassy alert and not providing an alert itself, does indicate that it was only concerned about the issuance of the alert by the embassy. It is patently obvious to the US Embassy that the Thais were not going to issue an alert so that did it themselves. That us why they tool the action they did. I do not know how long you have been here so I am unsure of how much you know of the Thai propensity to hide the facts and not admit there is a problem.

I was only using the US Embassy as an illustration. If you have another nationality, then I would expect that you would complain to that embassy had no warning been issued and you had been caught in the blast - assuming that you survived. If not, then your surviving relatives would certainly have.

Are you not aware that rhetorical answers do not require an answer? The question speaks for itself.

#1 We can skip this one... I'm only going to answer for what I think.

#2 Yes, the Thai government won't always be open. But in this case, there is no problem. No bombs, no deaths, nothing. Nothing to talk about. I'm sure there have been other arrests and supposed plots broken up in Thailand and elsewhere that never get reported.

#3 I'm American. But I still wouldn't complain to the US Embassy about an attack in Thailand. Are they planting the bombs?

#4 I took your question about "mobs" to be some sort of statement or commentary about the Thai government but not sure exactly who.

Nothing to worry about as:

All suspicious individuals had departed Thailand and any attempts to stir up trouble had been foiled, he said.

So why is it that I still see many people (and police as well whistling.gif ) in the streets and on the roads?????

Lets also not forget that the US is governed by a strategy of fear...

Lets also not forget that the US is governed by a strategy of fear...

Not sure about that. Chomsky says its governed by manufactured consent. Sounds like you could go to a better class of cocktail parties with that. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

WOW...and now the Democrats are trying to out PT the PT.... Amazing....

He also said that if it were in power, the Democrat Party would have deported the suspects without giving the foreign embassies time to release the warnings, which has affected the international community's confidence in Thailand.

Chavanond also pointed out that the government has also provoked Hezbollah, a Muslim militant group, by accusing it of being behind a possible terror plot.

Oh, yes, make no mistake, they are all loons when it comes to 'protecting face' of the nation.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Bump this too. This great stuff.

Not sure why you folks are singling out the US for scorn, when in fact 14 countries around the world followed the lead on the Israeli intel and issued travel warnings.

No worries, everyone needs a boogieman and the US is an easy target.

#2 Yes, the Thai government won't always be open. But in this case, there is no problem. No bombs, no deaths, nothing. Nothing to talk about. I'm sure there have been other arrests and supposed plots broken up in Thailand and elsewhere that never get reported.

#3 I'm American. But I still wouldn't complain to the US Embassy about an attack in Thailand. Are they planting the bombs?

#4 I took your question about "mobs" to be some sort of statement or commentary about the Thai government but not sure exactly who.

Well, I am not an American but I can see why the US Embassy did what it did. The fact that there was no bomb could well have been due to the fact that the Thais were forced to get off their rear ends and be seen to do something about it. Furthermore, had you been caught in the blast and not survived, your American relatives in the US, if you have any, would be complaining to the US Government about the lack or warning.

I rest my case.

Not sure why you folks are singling out the US for scorn, when in fact 14 countries around the world followed the lead on the Israeli intel and issued travel warnings.

No worries, everyone needs a boogieman and the US is an easy target.

As a proud American (not proud quite enough to live there though, uh oh ...) I will start to become worried when the USA stops being the boogieman. It means we still matter! Edited by Jingthing

He also said that if it were in power, the Democrat Party would have deported the suspects without giving the foreign embassies time to release the warnings, which has affected the international community's confidence in Thailand.

Chavanond also pointed out that the government has also provoked Hezbollah, a Muslim militant group, by accusing it of being behind a possible terror plot.

Oh, yes, make no mistake, they are all loons when it comes to 'protecting face' of the nation.

Agreed. All Thais are tarred with the same brush. It is a cultural problem. Face is everything but the problem is that the facts, when they become public, cause their "faces" to become red with embarrassment. They cannot seem to see this. They are simply unable to see that it is much better to admit that there is a problem than be caught out hiding it.

MOre than 4000 kg of bomb making chemicals found in wharehouse near BKK. Info from alleged hezbollah detainee.

I suppose some advanced logic/reasoning forum posters will say the detainee was going to use the fertilizer on his Teeraks Issan farm

There are a few posters here that would claim just that.

It appears that there are some extremely ignorant folks posting on these threads or a massive mis-information campaign is being waged on the most popular Thai / Expat forum on the planet to diffuse the situation and to prevent the Thais from appearing more foolish that they already look. The problem is that every time Chalerm opens his mouth, he sticks his foot in a little further.

You can't make this stuff up.

Edited by KeyserSoze01
  • Like 1

I will start to become worried when the USA stops being the boogieman. It means we still matter!

Don't worry, people will always need someone to hate.

Yeah, but who hates Canada? The idea of hating Canada is so absurd that it became a major theme on the South Park comedy show.

I will start to become worried when the USA stops being the boogieman. It means we still matter!

Yeah, but who hates Canada? The idea of hating Canada is so absurd that it became a major theme on the South Park comedy show.

That pisses off some Canadians too. They spend a lot of time worrying about what Americans think about Canada and find it more than a bit insulting that Americans don't think about Canada.

That pisses off some Canadians too. They spend a lot of time worrying about what Americans think about Canada and find it more than a bit insulting that Americans don't think about Canada.

Pass the maple syrup, eh, do you take play money?

Indeed, they would have deported a now admitted potential terrorist. These people are so out of touch and it just keeps getting worse and worse. On one hand, the system allows them to manhandle a russian arms dealer and essentially try to kidnap him out of the country, but a bloke who admits he wants to bomb Bangkok would get deported??????huh.png

Laws and international relationships occasionally appear to migrate into absolute laughable idiocy in this country. It is like a twilight zone where international treaties signed years ago are still argued about, and foreign ministers say things like "we will punish the embassy for saying these things". If a statement like that had come from N.Korea it would be plausible, but Thailand? Just ignore the terror warning? Who says this s**t?

I will have to go with the other posters saying that a lot of these quotes are coming from tweets from reporters, in which case, they may as will prevent them being printed, because they are actually doing a lot of active damage to the perception of Thailand's position about some very important issues. Then again, TIT, so probably the words actually came out of the guys mouth in perfect Queen's english.

• Like 1

"The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot."

If there was a Hezbollah plot, involving Thailand, how does that make a statement that Bangkok is a POTENTIAL target alarmist non-sense scare tactics.

What WAS the plot?

Exactly. The US wasn't scare mongering - they were giving a warning about a very real threat.

Although it is unfortunate such a warning may negatively impact tourism, its not the US embassies job to boost the Thai tourist industry - their job, first and foremost, is to aid and protect US citizens.

In any event - the core problem isn't the warning - its the plot itself. Thailand needs to stop blaming the US, and refocus efforts on weeding out all of the unsavoury characters roaming Thailand (meanwhile - they go out of their way to make things difficult for benign retired pensioners).

Defence Minister Yutthasak says PM has asked US to withdraw terrorist warning by today as it's damaging for Thailand/TAN

And the idiocy keeps coming. Exactly what has been damaged? At least a block of downtown Bangkok might not get blown up? Who are these people? Don't they get it that "damaging" Thailand is less important than a terrorist bomb???????? Particularly when the alternative is allowing your citizens to walk aimlessly into potential danger? Isn't it his job to PROTECT THE COUNTRY AND ITS CITIZENS being as he is DEFENCE MINISTER. He doesn't work for the hotel industry, he doesn't represent airlines, he is DEFENCE MINISTER, who has some responsibility to attempt to make sure that TERRORISTS DON"T BLOW UP YOUR CAPITAL CITY.

They still do put out tsunami warnings don't they? "Nah, that damages the country's reputation, just <deleted> it, if it happens again, at least the tourists came for a while."

Considering the amount of damage the ruling/managing elite of this country has done in the last 5 years, I would suggest the US embassy's statement is a drop in the ocean

• Like 1

I will have to go with the other posters saying that a lot of these quotes are coming from tweets from reporters, in which case, they may as will prevent them being printed, because they are actually doing a lot of active damage to the perception of Thailand's position about some very important issues. Then again, TIT, so probably the words actually came out of the guys mouth in perfect Queen's english.

Some journalists Tweet in Thai and then translations.

Anyway, the point is that there is not an issue with translations or 'gray' words. Even in Thai the words chosen are clear, arrested 2, arrested 1, other fled already, looking for the guy in the country etc - these are not misunderstandings. See feed from (reporter) Tulsahit on Friday etc.

Some journalists Tweet in Thai and then translations.

Anyway, the point is that there is not an issue with translations or 'gray' words. Even in Thai the words chosen are clear, arrested 2, arrested 1, other fled already, looking for the guy in the country etc - these are not misunderstandings. See feed from (reporter) Tulsahit on Friday etc.

I am curious about the exact meaning of "damaging" Thailand. Is this genuinely in context what they are saying, or is there a better translation, because it sounds idiotic in this context.

Exactly. The US wasn't scare mongering - they were giving a warning about a very real threat.

Although it is unfortunate such a warning may negatively impact tourism, its not the US embassies job to boost the Thai tourist industry - their job, first and foremost, is to aid and protect US citizens.

In any event - the core problem isn't the warning - its the plot itself. Thailand needs to stop blaming the US, and refocus efforts on weeding out all of the unsavoury characters roaming Thailand (meanwhile - they go out of their way to make things difficult for benign retired pensioners).

Well said... and dead-on correct.

• Like 1

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

The warning was to US citizens. Since you are not a US citizen, mind your own business and go about your day. Really, it is not your life they are trying to save. Please ignore all good advice you receive as I am sure you always have.

• Like 1

Here's an idea for you, Gramps.... Let America take care of its own people and stay of our business. As an American living abroad, if my country issues a warning of something imminent, I'm listening. AMERICA WARNING AMERICANS IS HER BUSINESS. When sh*t hit the fan, you'll be whining, "Why didn't the US do something????? Where was the US???? " Maybe a terrorist's bullet shot at you or a terrorist's bomb exploding in front of your face would impress you....

Gramps? Wow, that's deep. Now I can see the type of scholarly mind that buys this fear mongering tripe.

Here's a better idea: stop assuming you know what I'd do! I don't need nor want big brother's help. I am tired of my country trying to run the world and impacting how other non-aggressive countries have to constantly defend themselves against US foreign policy.

Thailand is minding her own business. The US should give that a try. It actually works!

I could care less what you do... Don't act like the USA is your country..... but that is your choice. Warning US citizens abroad of something may have a strong possibly of happening is the Embassy's right. You don't like it...Go ahead ...get yourself blown up... I won't miss you.

Scholarly???? It is apparent I have more sense than you than to bite the hand that has sustained me to do and live where I choose.... Gramps.

Edited by starguard69
  • Like 1

So what the American bashers are thinking now in the latest news:

"

Police have charged a Swedish-Lebanese man with suspected links to the Hezbollah militant group with possession of prohibited substances after they found a huge cache of materials used for making explosives in Samut Sakhon's Muang district Monday."

Well, I am not an American but I can see why the US Embassy did what it did. The fact that there was no bomb could well have been due to the fact that the Thais were forced to get off their rear ends and be seen to do something about it. Furthermore, had you been caught in the blast and not survived, your American relatives in the US, if you have any, would be complaining to the US Government about the lack or warning.

I rest my case.

Rest what case? That the warning was OK... yeah, I already agreed with you. I probably shouldn't have replied to your post since I thought your term "anti-American" related to views on foreign policy... but for you "anit-American" meant grievances toward the US Embassy, which I don't have.

However, you're wrong to think that the Thais did nothing until the US warning. They just didn't do anything publicly. Not sure why you think that nothing occurs unless you know about it.

I still don't get the complaining to the embassy part LOL... why would anyone complain to the US Embassy for a terrorist action in another country by a group from another country. I guess you and I think differently... I don't look for scapegoats whenever something goes wrong.

or I'm Idiot or Thailand extremely need normal (just normal ,now i see hard to find talent)P.R.manager & with such" friends "as(sorry nothing personal)U.S.embassy to have enemies no needcowboy.gif -or maybe they too busy -watched in news like under the White House "fixing"water systems(official version) but reporters sure that it's one more tunnel for mr.president