Stagnation In General

nocturn

I hate to be a troublesome lad, but as long as we're broaching the matter of stagnation, why is TV still frustratingly slow to load and respond to commands? Same same before and after the upgrade/new and improved version.

It is me or do any others experience this consistency?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see from my post count I used to be a fairly prolific poster, but these days I restrict my posts to a few rare forays.

Why?

Well, in no particular order:

1.It has become virtually impossible to make the most innocuous post imaginable without someone (often more than one) having a go at you, passing spiteful comments and casting aspersions on your motives and making wild unjustified accusations and insults.

Intelligent, heated debate is one thing, but making ridiculous, snide and hurtful comments is quite another. Quite frankly, I believe it puts off many people - both old and new -from posting anything at all.

2. It has become virtually impossible to hold an ‘intelligent, spirited debate’ on any serious but controversial subject without the thread getting prematurely closed.

3.There used to be a large pool of intelligent, erudite posters/debaters who would make any topic exciting and interesting to participate in; but virtually all of these legendary members have long since departed to pastures new.

A vast majority of them have, through the years, been banned, and those that haven’t, have simply moved on, or like me, have had their wings clipped so severely that these days their occasional ventures onto Thai Visa are a mere shadow of their former selves.

4. ‘General Topics’ is by and away the most followed forum. If you want to have any subject reach the largest possible audience, you need to put it in the General Topics forum. Yet, every time a topic is posted which would potentially have great interest to a large number of Thai Visa members, it is immediately transferred to an ‘appropriate’ sub-forum, where invariably it quickly dies a death due to lack of readership and interest.

Thus, you will find key subjects on health, or pets, or Visas or land ownership, or banking, business, computers, internet or murders and so on and so forth… immediately transferred to another forum without due regard to those who only read the general topics forum.

If you are not subscribed to read these local or subject specific forums, you will never see the thread. Just because a murder takes place in Phuket, does that mean that we, in Pattaya or Bangkok, are not interested? Yet we may never read the Phuket specific forum. I could go on and on, but hopefully I have made my point. In fact in my humble opinion, if a subject started on a sub forum is considered to be an important matter that may be of interest to all members, then the subject should be transferred TO the General Topics forum to ensure maximum exposure and participation and not from it.

(I have no doubt that my above comments will receive the usual nasty and inane responses that I have come to expect from a certain section of Thai Visa members whose only motive , it would seem, is to be malicious…)

Great post Mobi.

First of all, I believe that OP is referring to the "General" section of the TV Forum and not the other sub-forums.

I don't think s/he is questionning the Mods decisions on allocation of topics.

As for stagnation, don't you guys (sic) get it? The only people who regularly post on the General section of TV are the misfit ex-pats who haven't figured out (or don't care) how to integrate into Thai society.

They don't learn the language or the culture. They don't have a variety of Thai friends or acquantainces who are not bought. They come to the Forum because they have no place else to go. So of course the topics repeat themselves or stagnate. And degenerate into mud-fights

It seems to me that the Forum was originally created to help newcomers adjust to life in Thailand, or decide whether they wanted to come here. Some of the Forum sub-communities are still excellent in that way (Visas, Health, Buddhism, Thai Language, etc). But the General and regional sub-forums are increasingly a wasteland of the ignorant and whinge-mongers.

For those always posting in the "General" domain, get a life outside the Forum you guys, and then come back to report to TV on how much you've learned about living in Thailand, and how easy it is to adjust to life here if you learn to adapt.

Now flame me.

I've never flamed anyone in my life on any forum, so I am not about to start now.

However, as foreigners we are not ALLOWED to integrate into Thai society. We will forever be misfits here. That doesn't mean we can't ENJOY being misfits. I just take the bad with the good. Today I had to pay a bribe to a policeman for doing something I KNEW was illegal... turning right across traffic instead of driving 3 km out of my way. A quick apology and a 100 baht note made everything go away. In Canada I'd be going to jail if I tried to bribe a policeman, and an illegal turn would cost me about $100 (3000 baht).

i really cant see how this is relavent to the topic, you sure you got the right topic?

nocturn. Why don't you contribute with a new topic instead of complaining?

Let us start a topic about posters who complain giggle.gif

Like Craig said, a thread like that would be TOOOO LONG!

But, complaining is something that seems to be popular here. I get my knuckles rapped every time I try to post something positive, or answer a question with a photo. I am going to have to learn how to be negative like the other members here. That seems to be what everyone wants.

• Like 1

First of all, I believe that OP is referring to the "General" section of the TV Forum and not the other sub-forums.

I don't think s/he is questionning the Mods decisions on allocation of topics.

As for stagnation, don't you guys (sic) get it? The only people who regularly post on the General section of TV are the misfit ex-pats who haven't figured out (or don't care) how to integrate into Thai society.

They don't learn the language or the culture. They don't have a variety of Thai friends or acquantainces who are not bought. They come to the Forum because they have no place else to go. So of course the topics repeat themselves or stagnate. And degenerate into mud-fights

It seems to me that the Forum was originally created to help newcomers adjust to life in Thailand, or decide whether they wanted to come here. Some of the Forum sub-communities are still excellent in that way (Visas, Health, Buddhism, Thai Language, etc). But the General and regional sub-forums are increasingly a wasteland of the ignorant and whinge-mongers.

For those always posting in the "General" domain, get a life outside the Forum you guys, and then come back to report to TV on how much you've learned about living in Thailand, and how easy it is to adjust to life here if you learn to adapt.

Now flame me.

I've never flamed anyone in my life on any forum, so I am not about to start now.

However, as foreigners we are not ALLOWED to integrate into Thai society. We will forever be misfits here. That doesn't mean we can't ENJOY being misfits. I just take the bad with the good. Today I had to pay a bribe to a policeman for doing something I KNEW was illegal... turning right across traffic instead of driving 3 km out of my way. A quick apology and a 100 baht note made everything go away. In Canada I'd be going to jail if I tried to bribe a policeman, and an illegal turn would cost me about $100 (3000 baht).

i really cant see how this is relavent to the topic, you sure you got the right topic?

Ian Forbes and Kerry K are back. Stagnation problem solved. thumbsup.gif

nocturn. Why don't you contribute with a new topic instead of complaining?

Let us start a topic about posters who complain giggle.gif

But, complaining is something that seems to be popular here. I get my knuckles rapped every time I try to post something positive, or answer a question with a photo. I am going to have to learn how to be negative like the other members here. That seems to be what everyone wants.

Actually, complaining is done by the vocal minority. The majority hate it.

• Like 1

i agree, all excellent topics, so get posting lad, we need the variety.

to add:

How do you tell a colleague in Thailand he smells?

Kwai, that may be so, but with membership steadily rising, wouldn't more new posters first gravitate to general, thus replace those lost to subf fora. I would also posit that sub fora are generally even more sluggish than general so wouldn't people return to general eventually?

Agreed The Chiang Mai forum is dead same old topics being brought back.

I am going to try a new topic.

ok...since I got lured into the General Forum....my 2 Cents...and thanks to all the input from our members!

I am hardly ever looking into this forum and rather focusing on things that interest me. Business, computer stuff, Pattaya...and as the other mods said already, the best answers for a specific question you will get in the specific sub-forum.

As Craig said, sometimes a topic applies to two or even more forums. Unfortunately the forum software does not allow to have one thread to be visible in two sub forums. So we have to make a decision...and not necessarily an easy one.

Are you SURE? Complaining and flaming seem to be condoned.

as foreigners we are not ALLOWED to integrate into Thai society

I have absolutely no problems with this, all my friends are Thai. Not sure why you have this conception. unsure.png

I don't have any problem with it either. But, I just happen to know that no matter what I do or how much I spend I will NEVER be a part of Thai society. I'm quite happy just being a foreigner here and paying more for everything.

I have absolutely no problems with this, all my friends are Thai. Not sure why you have this conception. unsure.png

I don't have any problem with it either. But, I just happen to know that no matter what I do or how much I spend I will NEVER be a part of Thai society. I'm quite happy just being a foreigner here and paying more for everything.

You don't get it, you are here paying less for everything.

Edited by necronx99

Are you SURE? Complaining and flaming seem to be condoned.

You seem to have mixed up a few things. Expressing an opinion may be viewed as complaining by some. It is not against the forum rules. Beating a dead horse is not condoned and in most threads it's off-topic and will derail the original discussion and result in posts being deleted and possibly a warning. There are some notable exceptions to simply complaining that will get posters into problem, one being the Monarchy and other being moderation. The first is illegal and the second one is best handled by contacting the moderator directly or writing to [email protected] .

Flaming is not permitted by the rules and is dealt with more sternly.

You don't get it, you are here paying less for everything.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I pay more than most Thais do for the same item. I agree with you that I pay less for many things here in Thailand... such as Thai food, Thai accommodation and public transportation. I pay more than Thais for entering national parks. I pay more for all imported items. I pay more for most clothing and shoes than I do in Canda. And, I can not own land in Thailand. And, if I were to get married I would basically give up all rights to everything I might purchase for both of us. In Canada a foreigner can buy land and own it outright.

I'm not complaining and I know there inequities in both countries. A poor Thai wanting a simple holiday to Canada is denied access to travel, even if a Canadian citizen were to act as a guarantor. Whereas a Canadian can travel freely to Thailand no matter HOW poor they might be, and without showing anything more than a plane ticket and their passport. It's not fair, but our stuffy bureaucrats in Canada don't care about things being fair.

And, if I were to get married I would basically give up all rights to everything I might purchase for both of us.

Wrong.

I agree, mind you, that getting married (as in filed at the Amphur) is not a good idea in any case. But, it's not really necessary. :)

And, if I were to get married I would basically give up all rights to everything I might purchase for both of us.

Wrong.

I agree, mind you, that getting married (as in filed at the Amphur) is not a good idea in any case. But, it's not really necessary. smile.png

One case here, solid, and financial reason, to get married at the Amphur........speak for yourself

Wrong.

I agree, mind you, that getting married (as in filed at the Amphur) is not a good idea in any case. But, it's not really necessary. smile.png

One case here, solid, and financial reason, to get married at the Amphur........speak for yourself

not sure how this became yet another discussion of marriage to a Thai and its pros, cons and nuances, but id say the thread has been effectively derailed and should be allowed a quick death by the moderators.

not sure how this became yet another discussion of marriage to a Thai and its pros, cons and nuances, but id say the thread has been effectively derailed and should be allowed a quick death by the moderators.

Ok then, as per OP's suggestion, this topic is now closed.