New Cars For 2012 And Beyond

Big Guns

Ping, I'm curious about your comment about the Fortuner full time 4WD. Do you prefer the Mitsubishi Super Select with 2WD / full time 4WD / 4WD, or part time 4WD like most 4WD pickups, Trailblazer, MU7, Everest etc use? Is you priority lower fuel consumption or do you see some other advantage?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Yes, that's rather a good question! I suppose that there are wear and tear factors and economy issues, but they are not really a major consideration for me. I just happen to prefer the option of engaging 4WD when I think it would be needed/helpful. I used to do quite a bit of 4WD around the island, and that is why I like the option. Having said that, since I've had the PJS (two years) I've have never yet had cause to engage 4WD/low ratio. Go figure...

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished meeting with Mazda Thai...Mazda will get the petrol 2.0 and diesel CX5 smile.png

Thanks for the update Joe..

Now the question is, whether my daughter should get a diesel CX-5 for an Ecoboost Ecosport for her 18th ;)

Just finished meeting with Mazda Thai...Mazda will get the petrol 2.0 and diesel CX5 smile.png

Now the question is, whether my daughter should get a diesel CX-5 for an Ecoboost Ecosport for her 18th wink.png

May be worth checking if the Ecoboost Ecosport will be a manual only option. It seems that the small ecoboost motor does not match all that happily with the automatic transmission. I believe that in Australia if you want an auto you have to take it with the 1.5 litre.

Now the question is, whether my daughter should get a diesel CX-5 for an Ecoboost Ecosport for her 18th wink.png

Yeah, that's good news about the diesel CX-5. I gotta say though, that you are the most SUV/crossover-crazy family I've ever seen, mom and dad with SUVs, and now daughter. biggrin.png I also miss having a SUV around, and I will plan on adding one to my fleet soon. That Mazda sounds good.

Yeah, that's good news about the diesel CX-5. I gotta say though, that you are the most SUV/crossover-crazy family I've ever seen, mom and dad with SUVs, and now daughter. biggrin.png I also miss having a SUV around, and I will plan on adding one to my fleet soon. That Mazda sounds good.

555 :)

Well, we didn't plan it that way, it just happened.. We started out with just one SUV (a PJS which still neither of us wants to sell), then I wanted something a little faster (wife can only passenger in that one hehe), and had the usual problem when husbands car is 6x more expensive than the wife's... so she got a cuter one.. Now getting closer to my daughter's 18th, and just uninterested in any B class models under 2.64M Baht, and that's a too expensive for her first car.. so SUV it is again I guess.. We do have a pickup truck too, so we're not all SUV's hehe :)

So you already own a pick up truck, a PJS, a cute car for the wife, a fast car for you... And you are planning to buy another car for your daughter... Wow

Who cares, to each their own. Nothing wrong with having a few different rides. Are you going to call Jay Leno out seeing as he has around 100 cars and full time staff to keep them all in tip top condition?

Back to the topic at hand, are there any new full size SUV's coming out this year? Fortuner has to be at least 8 years old, Mitsu PJS has been around a few years also.

So you already own a pick up truck, a PJS, a cute car for the wife, a fast car for you... And you are planning to buy another car for your daughter... Wow

Who cares, to each their own. Nothing wrong with having a few different rides. Are you going to call Jay Leno out seeing as he has around 100 cars and full time staff to keep them all in tip top condition?

Back to the topic at hand, are there any new full size SUV's coming out this year? Fortuner has to be at least 8 years old, Mitsu PJS has been around a few years also.

My "wow" was not negatively insinuated. Actually, to be able to waste so much money into cars, one must be a very successful business man, so congrats to him wai2.gif

I don't think so...

Nissan PPV = 2014 or 15

MU7 = end of this year? or 2014

Fortuner = 2014 or 15

PJS = 2014 or 15

Ranger Based SUV = 2014 or 2015

That's it I guess :0

Thanks. The Mrs. wants a full size SUV and not a crossover for whatever reason. Any ins2ights in the trailblazer vs. PJS vs. long in the tooth fortuner? 90% of the time will be just day to day traffic on Phuket hauling a few people around. Part time 4wd would be preferred over full time 4wd or 2wd.

Thanks. The Mrs. wants a full size SUV and not a crossover for whatever reason. Any ins2ights in the trailblazer vs. PJS vs. long in the tooth fortuner? 90% of the time will be just day to day traffic on Phuket hauling a few people around. Part time 4wd would be preferred over full time 4wd or 2wd.

Ask a different person, get a different opinion on this lot ;)

All are decent - go kick the tires on them and see which one you prefer :D

True, I was just hoping there was a consensus, but it definitely makes sense to see which one we prefer. Any particular models and colors of each vehicle having a higher resale value then others? Black seem to be the colour de jour in Phuket.

Wannabee Black, hate em and the Drivers, arrogant Gits.w00t.gif

Black is the most elegant color for a car.thumbsup.gif

Braindead ,it sucks up heat and needs washing every day.Gimme Silver, Sons Black Slug Trailblazer looks like a Shit Heap most days, but his Wife chose it.

True, I was just hoping there was a consensus, but it definitely makes sense to see which one we prefer. Any particular models and colors of each vehicle having a higher resale value then others? Black seem to be the colour de jour in Phuket.

Well, judging by the times the topic has come up on these forums, I'd say 25-30% would defend the Fortuner to the death in a bloody battle of the keyboard (and indeed would do the same for anything with a Toyota badge), 5% to maybe 15% would cheer on the Trailblazer citing it's newer design (but they're either partially deaf or haven't actually compared them IRL), and another 10% or so would choose 'other' as they still love their ageing MU-7's and Everest's (and better the devil you know right?) The rest could banter on all day about why the Pajero Sport is the best, but they're generally a reserved lot because there's no need to go to hard on the sell nor defence when you're supporting a superior product tongue.png

5555 biggrin.png

Reality? Not much in it wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Well, judging by the times the topic has come up on these forums, I'd say 25-30% would defend the Fortuner to the death in a bloody battle of the keyboard (and indeed would do the same for anything with a Toyota badge), 5% to maybe 15% would cheer on the Trailblazer citing it's newer design (but they're either partially deaf or haven't actually compared them IRL), and another 10% or so would choose 'other' as they still love their ageing MU-7's and Everest's (and better the devil you know right?) The rest could banter on all day about why the Pajero Sport is the best, but there's no need to go to hard on the sell nor defence when you're supporting a superior product tongue.png

5555 biggrin.png

Reality? Not much in it wink.png

Lipstick on a Pig, more like!! they are all still 500K Bht ponced up Trucks with a Cartlike Ride, all of em. Now a nice Suzuki Swft is my choise.giggle.gif

Trailblazer is newer and has more gadgets I think...

Just wait for the new cars coming in 2014/15.

problem with that is..... by 2015 will be

Just wait for the new cars coming in 2016/17

Get the cheapest car available that performs the intended job without draining you dry in maintenance and repair - leave rest of the money in the bank or invest it smile.png... That's my kind of car or truck.... Keep said vehicle till wheels fall off or becomes a mechanical issue. Who cars what people think, you will have more money and be able to do more things while they sit inside their room looking our at their shiny ride through the window that sucks all the money away month after month.

Toyota, and Ford - in that order for me... Ford cheaper in Thailand than Toyota but runs just as good and the new ones released this year are very nice but I would never buy new so in 5-7 years I will take a better look smile.png

Edited by commande

Ford Cars are a Bloody dissaster outside Bkk.Service is Rubbish.They only know about clonkin trucks. Honda and Toyo are still the best Nationwide.

I agree not the best service market penetration yet but I live in Pattaya that has a Ford dealer so it's no issue here. Cars aren't bad for the money you pay but I agree others like Toyo and Honda better.

I don't think so...

Nissan PPV = 2014 or 15

MU7 = end of this year? or 2014

Fortuner = 2014 or 15

PJS = 2014 or 15

Ranger Based SUV = 2014 or 2015

That's it I guess :0

Good to know...

I have a 6 YO fortuner, love it that they never change the design or - with the last one - changed it for the worse. A few stickers aside the car is still the same too, the most incremental of updates every few years.

Next year will be good to get a new one...