New Cars For 2012 And Beyond

Big Guns

The next gen VIOS looks better than the present one but..........Why are all the new Toyota's got curves and angled panels all over them ? and the bulging eyes that do not even appear to fit the bodywork on any model ? there is nothing nice or flowing in any of the new models, to me they look like someone has been in the parts bin and tried to use up every part there, round, curved, angled, flat all jumbled up together, the lights as an after thought found nothing would fit, but stuck some on anyway.

Maybe I am old, and this is called modern Fashion, ? I will not be buying a ugly modern Toyota anytime soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The next gen VIOS looks better than the present one but..........Why are all the new Toyota's got curves and angled panels all over them ? and the bulging eyes that do not even appear to fit the bodywork on any model ? there is nothing nice or flowing in any of the new models, to me they look like someone has been in the parts bin and tried to use up every part there, round, curved, angled, flat all jumbled up together, the lights as an after thought found nothing would fit, but stuck some on anyway.

Maybe I am old, and this is called modern Fashion, ? I will not be buying a ugly modern Toyota anytime soon

They made a hash of the Fortuner as well with the last changes I think,

• Like 1

The angled/chiseled panels are there to improve highway fuel economy. The bulging headlamps are designed to improve airflow over the side mirrors for reduced noise and a small improvement in FE (Nissan pioneered that technique on the Leaf).

It's all about saving gas without spending any additional money on tech ;)

It's all about saving gas without spending any additional money on tech wink.png

I C, would have thought it would have been cheaper to built an Eco engine, than change all the machines to cast diffident bodies

on all the new models..

1x engine + different spec .. standered engine, Turbo bolted on, supercharger bolted on, turbo and supercharger for top of the range. ? + to have more options could also have different sized turbos..

Not everyone wants an ugly car to get a fraction of a km more fuel economy...

Not everyone want a CNG powered car which cost half the fuel cost...

Many new cars have a Auto 5 or 6 speed, so say better fuel economy.. many models there is no improvement in fuel economy over the 4 speed. [no idea not read any reports yet on some of the 7 and 8 speed Autos]

Edited by ignis

It's all about saving gas without spending any additional money on tech wink.png

I C, would have thought it would have been cheaper to built an Eco engine, than change all the machines to cast diffident bodies

on all the new models..

1x engine + different spec .. standered engine, Turbo bolted on, supercharger bolted on, turbo and supercharger for top of the range. ? + to have more options could also have different sized turbos..

Not everyone wants an ugly car to get a fraction of a km more fuel economy...

I doubt the R&D to develop a new engine costs less than the cost of doing a few body changes. Developping a new engine with increased fuel efficiency might be interesting on high-margin cars like the Lexus... not on eco-cars. And on luxury cars like Lexus, the owners do not actually care for the fuel cost.

I doubt the R&D to develop a new engine costs less than the cost of doing a few body changes. Developping a new engine with increased fuel efficiency might be interesting on high-margin cars like the Lexus... not on eco-cars. And on luxury cars like Lexus, the owners do not actually care for the fuel cost.

VW Group come to mind, many models in there Group has the same engine........ appears Ford are starting to do the same, from there smallest to the Accord size Mondeo, all can be had with the 1.0 lt Eco Engine with different items bolted on this engine, even the new Ford 4x4..

Volvo appear to be going the same route, only not in Thailand only the S60 here has the new generation engines, again not here but on reports the Chevy Cruze 1.6 turbo is a faster and much better fuel economy. then the 1.8/ 2.0lt model.

Reading reports for the past year the new generation smaller engines with Turbos, have much better fuel economy than diesels which cost more. of course many places now have a new smaller generation diesel engine, even Pickups in Thailand are now 2,2 turbos, not of course Toyota's.

Edited by ignis

Whatever happened to a new Vios being produced ? . .

The next gen VIOS has been undergoing final validation for a few weeks now, and is expected to launch in Q2 2013.

http://bmwthaiclub.c...yota-vios-2013/

post-57474-0-26000500-1353758116_thumb.j

In the spyshot looks like they have ditched the horrible centre dashboard which I hate, it may even make it onto my shortlist if it looks OK in the flesh and what engine/transmission choice they have

In the spyshot looks like they have ditched the horrible centre dashboard which I hate, it may even make it onto my shortlist if it looks OK in the flesh and what engine/transmission choice they have

Not sure about that........... what is this one ? or from where ?

post-42643-0-64506000-1353759129_thumb.j

New basic Fortuner model introduced, its a 2wd 2.5G Auto priced at 1.179 million THB.

Engine spec, 144hp and 343 Nm torque with a 5 speed Auto gear box. No passenger airbag, cruise control, rear camera and some other stuff on it, the article was not too clear on that. The radio/DVD consul looks like the one in the pre Champ Vigo, must have had some left over.

Its in the Auto section of the online newspaper we are not allowed to mention or link to.ph34r.png

New basic Fortuner model introduced, its a 2wd 2.5G Auto priced at 1.179 million THB.

Engine spec, 144hp and 343 Nm torque with a 5 speed Auto gear box. No passenger airbag, cruise control, rear camera and some other stuff on it, the article was not too clear on that. The radio/DVD consul looks like the one in the pre Champ Vigo, must have had some left over.

Its in the Auto section of the online newspaper we are not allowed to mention or link to.ph34r.png

The pricing structure seems clearly targeted at undercutting the PJS in its 2WD version (same price), but I am not sure how Toyota hopes to achieve that by stripping this particular version of the Fortuner from all its safety and comfort features. No EBD and no brake assistance, VSC etc. In short it is stripped of everything that makes the supporters of Fortuner maintain that it is a superior car to the PJS. http://www.toyota.co.th/en/product-detail.php?model=fortuner&opt=spec

It is true that it may command a higher resale value and has the name of Toyota to push forward.

• Like 1

Ford Fiesta Face lift........ Europe from December 2012..... to be built in Rayong Thailand mid 2013 ?

post-42643-0-40417000-1353898673_thumb.j

I like the 'aston martin' look-a-like grill...

Find it is a bit odd, The new Mondao [maybe here next year ?] new Fiesta and some other models not here have this new 'aston martin' look-a-like grill, so what happened with the new Focus face ?

Ford Fiesta Face lift........ Europe from December 2012..... to be built in Rayong Thailand mid 2013 ?

post-42643-0-40417000-1353898673_thumb.j

I like the 'aston martin' look-a-like grill...

Find it is a bit odd, The new Mondao [maybe here next year ?] new Fiesta and some other models not here have this new 'aston martin' look-a-like grill, so what happened with the new Focus face ?

...hope Fous will get a face-lift too..biggrin.png

I noticed in an article in the local newspaper that we may be able to reference, but I won't just to be sure, in an article regarding a discussion with Bill Ford it says that the next product to be released in the region ((in Thailand 2013-14) will be the EcoSport. It also mentions that the Ecoboost engines will be offered in future models in the region.

If the EcoSport will be the next product released (2013-14), what does this say for the introduction of the Kuga and/or Everest replacement? By implication it also may mean that some vehilces such as the Fiesta may at some stage come perhaps with the 1 litre Ecoboost? I would at least assume that the EcoSport would come with the little 3 cylinder engine.

I noticed in an article in the local newspaper that we may be able to reference, but I won't just to be sure, in an article regarding a discussion with Bill Ford it says that the next product to be released in the region ((in Thailand 2013-14) will be the EcoSport. It also mentions that the Ecoboost engines will be offered in future models in the region.

If the EcoSport will be the next product released (2013-14), what does this say for the introduction of the Kuga and/or Everest replacement? By implication it also may mean that some vehilces such as the Fiesta may at some stage come perhaps with the 1 litre Ecoboost? I would at least assume that the EcoSport would come with the little 3 cylinder engine.

Things appear to be changing slowly, when I came to live here 2003, was told by Thais about cars......... Thais do not like or buy hatchbacks, Thais do not like or buy small cars, Thais will only buy 4 door salons with big engines... How things have changed, even now we have cars with small engines and appear to sell well, so guess car maker must adjust here in the next few years..

Sadly some new cars are still arriving with bigger engines... The new Malaysian built XV over a year ago was going to come to Thailand with a 1.6 and cost about 1 million baht, so now is a the show with 2 lt engine + 350 k more... The new Volvo S60 the even newer V60 have 1.6 turbo engines, yet the new S 40, V40 and V50 have 2 lt engines ? why these models are smaller ? the new models and makes keep coming but where is the smaller light weight engines ?

Maybe another problem is the price, these new 1.2 motors are a lot cheaper than the 1.5/1.6 before them, so a 1.0 must be cheaper than a 1.2 right ?

Honda have been making 660 and 800 cc engine for years, 3 cylinder turbos. the Honda Beat from 1990 comes to mind + lots of newer ones, + there are a good few other makes besides Honda

Things appear to be changing slowly, when I came to live here 2003, was told by Thais about cars......... Thais do not like or buy hatchbacks, Thais do not like or buy small cars, Thais will only buy 4 door salons with big engines... How things have changed, even now we have cars with small engines and appear to sell well, so guess car maker must adjust here in the next few years..

Sadly some new cars are still arriving with bigger engines... The new Malaysian built XV over a year ago was going to come to Thailand with a 1.6 and cost about 1 million baht, so now is a the show with 2 lt engine + 350 k more... The new Volvo S60 the even newer V60 have 1.6 turbo engines, yet the new S 40, V40 and V50 have 2 lt engines ? why these models are smaller ? the new models and makes keep coming but where is the smaller light weight engines ?

Maybe another problem is the price, these new 1.2 motors are a lot cheaper than the 1.5/1.6 before them, so a 1.0 must be cheaper than a 1.2 right ?

Honda have been making 660 and 800 cc engine for years, 3 cylinder turbos. the Honda Beat from 1990 comes to mind + lots of newer ones, + there are a good few other makes besides Honda

From all reports the 1 litre Ecoboost is a great little engine so should be good when it comes. I am sure is more than adequate and probably a step up from the current 1.5 & 1.6. There are versions of the 1 litre Ecoboost with 125HP and 170Nm so should actually perform as well or even better than the current 1.6.

What twigged my interest was that the EcoSport would be the "next model released" and was due 2013/14. So when (or if) are the Kugu/Escape and new Everest scheduled?

• 1 month later...

The next gen VIOS has been undergoing final validation for a few weeks now, and is expected to launch in Q2 2013.

A Thai friend of ours works for Toyota as workshop manager and has heard rumours that the new Vigo will be announced middle of this year...have you heard anything IMHO?

What twigged my interest was that the EcoSport would be the "next model released" and was due 2013/14. So when (or if) are the Kugu/Escape and new Everest scheduled?

The EcoSport and Escape (which could launch here wearing Kuga badges) are both expected in H1 this year, but the Everest replacement appears to be a 2015 model now.

A Thai friend of ours works for Toyota as workshop manager and has heard rumours that the new Vigo will be announced middle of this year...have you heard anything IMHO?

I haven't seen any reports that suggest sales of the next gen Hilux will be starting before 2014, but anything's possible ;)

I haven't seen any reports that suggest sales of the next gen Hilux will be starting before 2014, but anything's possible wink.png

Time to sell mine I do think wink.png

Guess it will not look like this ???

post-42643-0-10922200-1357280914_thumb.j

That's the A-Bat concept from back in 2007. It was designed by Toyota America as a concept of an all-new genre of car-like 'un-pickups' based on a monocoque chassis rather than the typical ladder frame, using a sprung independent rear, a hybrid drivetrain, and a paltry 4-foot long tray..

The new Hilux is currently being designed by the Toyota Technical Center in Australia, and will most definitely have a traditional ladder frame, rear leaf suspension, commonrail engines, much longer trays, a strong association with the brand's current styling language, and much lower-cost panel pressings/steel content than that concept ;)

In short, it's unlikely the IMV2 Hilux will look like this concept model :(

Probably just as well the IMV2 Hilux will not look like the concept model.

The Ridgeline, Honda's attempt at the pickup market in the US with a similar concept a few years ago apparently was less than successful.

Edited by Jitar

That's the A-Bat concept from back in 2007. It was designed by Toyota America as a concept of an all-new genre of car-like 'un-pickups' based on a monocoque chassis rather than the typical ladder frame, using a sprung independent rear, a hybrid drivetrain, and a paltry 4-foot long tray..

The new Hilux is currently being designed by the Toyota Technical Center in Australia, and will most definitely have a traditional ladder frame, rear leaf suspension, commonrail engines, much longer trays, a strong association with the brand's current styling language, and much lower-cost panel pressings/steel content than that concept wink.png

In short, it's unlikely the IMV2 Hilux will look like this concept model sad.png

Looks like a new El Camino or Ranchero....

The new Hilux is currently being designed by the Toyota Technical Center in Australia, and will most definitely have a traditional ladder frame, rear leaf suspension, commonrail engines, much longer trays, a strong association with the brand's current styling language, and much lower-cost panel pressings/steel content than that concept wink.png

Am guessing it will look more like the Tacoma/Tundra?

post-90070-0-25723700-1357370129_thumb.j

post-90070-0-23777100-1357370146_thumb.j

Am guessing it will look more like the Tacoma/Tundra?

post-90070-0-25723700-1357370129_thumb.j

post-90070-0-23777100-1357370146_thumb.j

While the original gen1 Tacoma borrowed a lot of it's styling from the Hilux Tiger, gen2 was purposely upsized and 'Amercanized' and the gen3 (coming soon) will keep that theme going. It's hard to imagine that they'd re-align the styling of these large-sized pickups with the smaller Hilux now...

Zero has been leaked, so it's all just guessing though..

The 2011 Hilux 'Champ' minor change metal updates (which were also done by Toyota Tech Center in Oz), brought the Hllux's styling much closer to the 2012 Camry / 2013 Altis, so were likely a pretty decent indicator of the design direction the new model will take, IMHO.

The thing needs to enter final validation before the end of 2013 in order to make it's planned launch date, so spy shots have to start surfacing soon wink.png

Edited by IMHO

I have been waiting to change my Mitsubishi Triton for a few months now, sales manager keeps telling me to hold off and now insists that 6 months from now they will have the "all new" version.

I am seeing them next week to see if I can place an order, really don't want to be waiting around when it launches after seeing recent waiting times.

I cannot see anything online yet (spyshot etc) but I am guessing it is going to have the new front end like the Lancer and now the Outlander (UK) but will be interesing to see.

Not sure about the look of that though, kind of prefer the current model myself so will see what they say next week.

I have been waiting to change my Mitsubishi Triton for a few months now, sales manager keeps telling me to hold off and now insists that 6 months from now they will have the "all new" version.

I am seeing them next week to see if I can place an order, really don't want to be waiting around when it launches after seeing recent waiting times.

I cannot see anything online yet (spyshot etc) but I am guessing it is going to have the new front end like the Lancer and now the Outlander (UK) but will be interesing to see.

Not sure about the look of that though, kind of prefer the current model myself so will see what they say next week.

He's just getting over excited I think - dealer level staff are the #1 cause of all false alarms I've posted here in the past, hehe ;)

At this point in time there's absolutely no reason to suspect we'll see the next-gen before 2014.