New Cars For 2012 And Beyond

Big Guns

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Would be interested in Toyotas 2013 model updates.

VIos should be here any moment. (totally new)

What about eco car? Is it a Yaris with hybrid or whats the deal? When is it coming out?

Other models?

Toyota's eco car (to be badged Yaris, but it's not a Yaris) will launch around mid-year. Next gen Corolla will likely be unveiled in November, but it's unknown if sales will start then too. Outside of those, we're likely to see a nano or minor change for the Camry, but that's about it for this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep on seeing adverts for the new Volvo V40 but haven't seen any prices, fuel types, release date.

Appears will not be a Estate/Wagon...... but a prestige Sports Hatchback quote from ' President of Volvo Car (Thailand)' March 13, 2013

Yes I think it's on sale on the UK already slightly bigger than a focus and presumable based on the same chassis engine etc. it looks very nice but I'd be interested to see what price it comes in at.

Ford sold Volvo to China..........

The first all-new Volvo chassis and powertrain assembly

Last months Aus Luanch.......... http://performancedrive.com.au/2013-volvo-v40-review-australian-launch/

Guess will be just the 2.0 engine here ?.......believe UK has many more engine options

Edited by ignis

After reading the Australian article the Volvo looks like a class act. Unfortunately if its not made here the price will no doubt be insane.

On the Thai website they show the details but no price yet.

http://www.volvocars.com/th/Pages/default.aspx

Yep, the media launch event was back on the 12th, but no prices to be revealed until it's public launch at the moto show.

For those wondering, yes it's based on a very heavily modified Focus platform, but uses the 213HP T5 2.0L Engine.

Don't expect Drive style pricing due to it's capacity and inability to drink E85 though.

The lack of engine choices here is a pain in the backside, I'd much rather have a diesel than gasohol, in my opinion this will be much more stable price wise than the other available fuels and some of the mpg's you can get from a modern Diesel engine are amazing.

I've no doubt this car will be stupid money, probably more expensive than the bigger, more practical and prettier v60!

Looks like Nissan is intent on competing more in the overall market-place. As well, Toyota should be looking to resume dominance with their main, big models 'reinventing' themselves (hopefully) i.e. Fortuner, Altis, Camry, Yaris. The rarities in the Thai market like Volkswagen and Peugot are keeping a low-profile, for sure. I'm curious to wait and see how many FT-86 and MX-5 sports cars are sold in the next couple years. I know Toyota is huge in Thailand, but Thais don't really know the brand for making sports cars- same goes for Mazda and their 2-seater Roadster.

Looks like Nissan is intent on competing more in the overall market-place. As well, Toyota should be looking to resume dominance with their main, big models 'reinventing' themselves (hopefully) i.e. Fortuner, Altis, Camry, Yaris. The rarities in the Thai market like Volkswagen and Peugot are keeping a low-profile, for sure. I'm curious to wait and see how many FT-86 and MX-5 sports cars are sold in the next couple years. I know Toyota is huge in Thailand, but Thais don't really know the brand for making sports cars- same goes for Mazda and their 2-seater Roadster.

Well, Toyota have lost a few % in market share with the rise of tier-2 - as have all tier-1's - but overall you wouldn't characterise them as hurting... The only model which has any 'unusual' market share contention is the Fortuner, but in the context of sales volumes Toyota enjoys, it's a fairly minor model for them. They could probably resume dominance in the PPV segment simply by knocking 100-150K Baht off the price - if they actually wanted to...

The Yaris has been purposely left to die a natural death, so it's nameplate can be re-purposed for their upcoming eco-car entry (TH's new Yaris will not be the Yaris/Vitz sold OS).

As for makes like VW and Peugeot - even though they do have models that could compete with the mainstream (given their duty-free status from Malaysia) - they'd need to be represented by a distributor that's serious about putting in the long-term investment to establish them as proper tier-2 contenders. Don't hold your breath on that one though wink.png

As for the 86 GT, CR-Z and MX-5, you're talking about a segment that sells monthly volumes you can count on two hands, is crippled by 80% import duties, and except for the Honda, has engines that don't take any advantage of the Thai excise tax structure, so don't ever expect to see an explosion of them on the road... They will remain 'halo cars'.

Edited by IMHO

Also believe early Peugeot were imports from France ?

​Even more modern a 2004 model 206, now cost the same as a 2010 model made in Malaysia = confusing for Thais...

same model that cost 1.3 million a few years later cost almost 1/2 that brand new...

Yes distributor and service centres are where ?........... oddly I see more Citroen Service Centres than Peugeot, and there are far more Peugeot's here in Thailand than Citroen.

​Notice the pictures of the all new Toyota Vios is on Sanook

So how much are the Peugeot 207/208 or 307/308 going for in Thailand? I couldn't find a price list on their website, I managed to find out that the 408 is 1.3 million, quite expensive compared to the UK, but they are decent cars especially in top of the line trim. I had a 406 and it was one of the most comfortable cars I've had, very smooth ride, well equipped, fairly frugal diesel that lasted forever.

So how much are the Peugeot 207/208 or 307/308 going for in Thailand? I couldn't find a price list on their website, I managed to find out that the 408 is 1.3 million, quite expensive compared to the UK, but they are decent cars especially in top of the line trim. I had a 406 and it was one of the most comfortable cars I've had, very smooth ride, well equipped, fairly frugal diesel that lasted forever.

207 is 899K for the sedan (ex Malaysia), or 2.25M for the convertible (ex France).

The discontinued last year but maybe still in-stock 308 hatch is 1.69M - 1.89M, and the convertible is 3.05M - all from France.

408 is 1.08M for the 2.0L 4AT, and 1.25M for the 1.6 turbo 6AT - ex Malaysia.

Edited by IMHO

Thanks.

I've seen a few Peugeot RCZ's driving around and there seem to be quite a lot of older pugs knocking about all in very good condition.

I noticed this article the other day...

http://paultan.org/2013/03/13/volkswagen-golf-mk7-launch/vwgolfmk7_0032/

I'm guessing this will be headed to Thailand soon enough, my local VW showroom recently had quite big discounts on the mk 6 golf 1.9 million for a gti, they had stopped selling the 1.4 tsi altogether presumably it will make a comeback with the next model.

Ahh well we still have a year or so before we finish payments on our existing motor, hopefully something appealing (and affordable) will be released in the meantime.

After reading the Australian article the Volvo looks like a class act. Unfortunately if its not made here the price will no doubt be insane.

On the Thai website they show the details but no price yet.

http://www.volvocars.com/th/Pages/default.aspx

Yep, the media launch event was back on the 12th, but no prices to be revealed until it's public launch at the moto show.

For those wondering, yes it's based on a very heavily modified Focus platform, but uses the 213HP T5 2.0L Engine.

Don't expect Drive style pricing due to it's capacity and inability to drink E85 though.

The new volvo v40 starts at 1.68 million baht according to their Facebook page.

on the Volvo TH website where has the V50 gone ?

if people want an small Estate has the V50 gone ? the all new V40 is a hatchback..

Of course if the price of the new hatchback V40 is as stated on Facebook, then the V50 would have been a better deal at about the same price

• 4 weeks later...

on the Volvo TH website where has the V50 gone ?

if people want an small Estate has the V50 gone ? the all new V40 is a hatchback..

Of course if the price of the new hatchback V40 is as stated on Facebook, then the V50 would have been a better deal at about the same price

New hatch is a 0-100km in sub 7 seconds car, and is 1.68m for the std version and 1.8m for the sport version (with more sporty wheels, bodykit, some extra safety stuff). It is right up there in hot hatch territory with the Golf GTI, Scirocco, Mini Cooper S, A250, although the version they have here has a few minor drawbacks which put me off booking one until I test drive it (YEMV)

- auto paddle shifts like a Mini Cooper S, not a dual clutch system like the VW or A250, manual not available

- cannot get performance tune from Polestar yet (they tune the 2.4 litre and even though the 2 litre is theoretically the same engine as the S60 they won't tune it, if they did would get it up to around 240HP)

- have to wait until August I think to receive the car (normal for new hot hatches at the moment other than Rocs and old model Golfs which are available now)

The current station wagon is the V60 which is the S60 size station wagon; I don't think the V50 is hugely popular for the Volvo guys. The V40 might be (is a nice reduction in price vs. the BMW 116M and the Benz A180/A250s). Obviously the BMW is a total pig that looks like a cheetah, and no amount of trips to AC Schnitzer etc can save it because it is just too underpowered. I would happily buy a BMW 135i or even the 125i but neither is likely to be available in Thailand it seems even when they start making the damn things here at end of this year.

In other new car news, these are the ones I have recently noted:

- all new WRX likely to be available end of 2013 (looks awesome in NY, reality may be more disappointing)

- Maserati Ghibli likely to be available end of 2013 (5 series/E class sized luxury sports car)

- Jaguar 3 series sized new entrant supposedly (according to Jag Thailand) coming end of this year, beginning 2014 (we shall see)

- BMW 328i now available for booking (not actually publically available but can be bought from BMW Thailand dealers) 3.1m baht

Some nice choices, finally.

And perhaps most importantly, seems that there is now a Morgan distributor in Thailand, maybe there will be an influx of 3 wheelers now?!

Nice to have a few more to choose from, although I think the Maserati might be a little out of my price range, but it does look beautiful.

I'm not after a hot hatch I just want a car that looks nice, is comfortable, safe, fairly economical with a bit of oomph for the occasional overtake. A 2 litre vw golf tdi would be perfect but they don't sell them here =[ the gti burns petrol like there's no tomorrow and I'm not sure it would too comfortable of the rough roads here.

It will be interesting to see how ASEAN AEC and a possible EU fair trade agreement will affect choice and price, however I fear that greed will takeover, they could make a BMW for 2000 baht here with no import tax and they'd still sell it for 5 million, because its a premium brand.

Nice to have a few more to choose from, although I think the Maserati might be a little out of my price range, but it does look beautiful.

I'm not after a hot hatch I just want a car that looks nice, is comfortable, safe, fairly economical with a bit of oomph for the occasional overtake. A 2 litre vw golf tdi would be perfect but they don't sell them here =[ the gti burns petrol like there's no tomorrow and I'm not sure it would too comfortable of the rough roads here.

It will be interesting to see how ASEAN AEC and a possible EU fair trade agreement will affect choice and price, however I fear that greed will takeover, they could make a BMW for 2000 baht here with no import tax and they'd still sell it for 5 million, because its a premium brand.

Hi, i do have a Golf GTI here.

It has the 17 inch alloys not the 18 inch on it and is very comfortable, you actually have 3 setting for shocks, normal, comfy and sport and it does work. Comfy is what it says and a lot more comfy than my MINI GP (no surprise there) but also more comfy than my old Ford Focus. Plus very good seats (nearly as good as Volvos).

About fuel consumption. Moderate driving in Phuket gives me mostly 10l/100km, not far away from regular 2.0 liter engines like a Civic i would say. My Ford Focus diesel however was around 8l/100km.

Great prices on those here right now at around 1.9-2.0 m for a brand new GTI.

Although the Volvo will be cheaper I still don't it can hold up to the GTI, but maybe not too far.....need to test it to comment.

Maybe for you as you are into the fuel saving part: I believe the before mentioned Skoda Fabia vRS with an 1.4l engine supercharged, turbo charged would result in very good fuel economy....a bit less comfy than the GTI though and well design wise....we have discussed it! :)

The new BMW should also do quite well.

my 2 cents....

I borrowed a mates civic 1.8 Automatic and the fuel consumption was really bad, at the moment I have a navara 2.5 and its actually fairly economical for such a big lump of metal.

I love the golf over the last 6/7 years I've had two mk V's (a 2.0 tdi and a gti) and a mk VI gt tdi 2.0 they are the best overall cars I've had. The gti was great fun but very thirsty although my right foot probably is responsible for that! The gt tdi was perfect, comfortable, economical, practical and pretty rapid.

The mk 7 2.0 tdi is available from importers although I don't know how much they are going for;

http://www.one2car.com/VOLKSWAGEN_GOLF/C01130283

Although I actually quite like the look of this 1.4 tsi....

http://www.one2car.com/VOLKSWAGEN_GOLF/D09130247

My number one reason for considering a volvo is safety, I love driving but I am absolutely bloody terrified of the roads/drivers here! But the v40 is a very pretty car and the interiors are very well designed and comfortable. On the other hand I'm thinking why not get a big SUV like a fortuner or pajero and convert it to LPG? I have over a year to decide so plenty of pondering/procrastination ahead :)

If you don't need the seating capacity and space of the SUV, a car like the Volvo or Golf is gonna be a much swifter and nicer ride.

But if you need a bigger vehicle, avoid the petrol engined Fortuner and PJS. They are underpowered and not as good to drive as their diesel cousins except for maybe the V6 PJS. However the V6 must have a serious thirst and I have seen comments it does not like LPG. The diesels are pretty economical anyway considering they are 2 tonne trucks, around 11km/L or less than 3 Baht/km. Personally I would not bother with an LPG version.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

I probably wouldn't use the extra seats that often probably a couple of times a year.

A few things I have to consider are....

The very bad roads when you get off the beaten track up here in issan and korat was quite badly flooded a coupe of years ago.

I quite like the extra ride height on the road in my current truck, helps to see the maniacs well in advance.

I reckon your probably better off in a big solid chunk of metal like a fortuner or a pajero, because there's a pretty good chance of being hit by a truck or SUV if your are unlucky enough to be in a bump.

I've been told there's a new fortuner coming in August hopefully they'll upgrade the interior, because its a major down point of the current model.

Re Fortuner v PJS, the seats in the Fortuner seem to be more comfortable than the PJS, but the biggest disadvantage of the Fortuner (as far as I'm concerned) is that it is constant 4WD. If they made it selectable, I may be persuaded to change brands (only may).

Everyone I know that has either a pajero or fortuner love them to bits, but the pajero interior was 'so so' and as I've said before the fortuner interior is naff and isn't much different from a bottom of the range Toyota Vigo I drove a few years ago the 1982 digital clock in the dashboard just reeks of cheap and a few bits of plastic wood or plastic marble don't make it luxurious. However the interiors of the newer Toyotas I've seen are much better so hopefully the new fortuner will continue that trend.

Re Fortuner v PJS, the seats in the Fortuner seem to be more comfortable than the PJS, but the biggest disadvantage of the Fortuner (as far as I'm concerned) is that it is constant 4WD. If they made it selectable, I may be persuaded to change brands (only may).

All Fortuners are not constant 4WD. only those speced as AWD

Reading in the last few days about the new 10 speed gearbox, so many manufactures are working on........... why not just use a CVT ? appears Honda, Nissan and Subaru will have a new CVT gearbox.

Land-Rover on sale later this year will have a 9 speed box, so doing away with the need for a low-ratio gearbox, save on weight and better economy.

..http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130501/COPY01/305019947#ixzz2S91zlfeg

also read the same development of a new 10 speed gearbox for Hyundai, Ford, GM so not just the VW/Audi group

and here http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/15/ford-general-motors-gm-transmissions/2083485/

Edit: as for a 12 speed manual would anyone bother buying a manual ?

Edited by ignis