New Cars For 2012 And Beyond

Big Guns

Reading in the last few days about the new 10 speed gearbox, so many manufactures are working on........... why not just use a CVT ?

Perhaps it's hard to design a CVT that can handle high torque/HP?

All these extra speeds are mainly about improving FE/CO2, so maybe actual steel cogs are more efficient than rubber bands? ;)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading in the last few days about the new 10 speed gearbox, so many manufactures are working on........... why not just use a CVT ? appears Honda, Nissan and Subaru will have a new CVT gearbox.

Land-Rover on sale later this year will have a 9 speed box, so doing away with the need for a low-ratio gearbox, save on weight and better economy.

..http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130501/COPY01/305019947#ixzz2S91zlfeg

also read the same development of a new 10 speed gearbox for Hyundai, Ford, GM so not just the VW/Audi group

and here http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/04/15/ford-general-motors-gm-transmissions/2083485/

Edit: as for a 12 speed manual would anyone bother buying a manual ?

Not sure about the efficiency but the durability of mechanical transmissions is better than the belt type CVT for heavier vehicles with more torque. That is why construction and farm equipment use hydrostatic drives for variable speed transmissions instead of the variable radius belt type.

The Land Rover 9 speed will be interesting. VW already have the 4WD Anorak pickup with ZF 8 speed auto and single range transfer case. The ratio spread is below a conventional 5 speed with dual range transfer case because the ZF 8 speed is designed with close ratios (for economy and emissions as IMHO said). Maybe ZF will correct this with the 9 speed LR plan to use.

The 8 speed ZF transmissions still use a torque converter. Dual clutch transmission driveabiltiy still gets criticism. I wonder if / when automated manuals like the 10 speed VW dual clutch mentioned in the linked article will eliminate the need for the torque converter.

Finished a meeting yesterday at Autoallianz...we might see the "new" Mazda 3 with skyactiv technology at the end of this year / beginning of next year.

I say "new" because South-East Asia will probably not be getting the new body styling until end of 2014.

Finished a meeting yesterday at Autoallianz...we might see the "new" Mazda 3 with skyactiv technology at the end of this year / beginning of next year.

I say "new" because South-East Asia will probably not be getting the new body styling until end of 2014.

I thought they had just changed the shape of the Mazda 3 from the decent hard look to the flowery curvy hairdresser look :blink:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I thought they had just changed the shape of the Mazda 3 from the decent hard look to the flowery curvy hairdresser look blink.png

No idea if the latest one is flowery curvy hairdresser look ? myself do not like the look

post-42643-0-96078300-1368224560_thumb.j

The new 3 looks better to me the 2014 model

post-42643-0-10756100-1368224619_thumb.j

I thought they had just changed the shape of the Mazda 3 from the decent hard look to the flowery curvy hairdresser look blink.png

In Thailand yes, but they are currently testing the new Mazda 3 as above shown by ignis in Germany. Not sure when it will arrive in South East. I only know that in December or January they will launch the Skyactive engines in the Mazda 3. I will keep you updated as soon as I know more. Regarding the CX5, we already finished our translation and it seems all is set for the September/October Launch.

Regarding the CX5, we already finished our translation and it seems all is set for the September/October Launch.

Any references to a 2.2L diesel engine in the docs you've been translating?

My intel in MY is weak :(

I found these pics of the new toyota highlander bound for US release, I wonder if the next fortuner will look similar? be quite nice if tt does.

http://paultan.org/2013/03/29/2014-toyota-highlander-debuts-in-nyc/2014-toyota-highlander-05/

Also there's the new 4runner which is a grower I think.

http://paultan.org/2013/04/29/2014-toyota-4runner-facelift/

I've been looking at pictures of Rhinos since I was a little kid, and they still haven't grown on me as animals of beauty.. I can't see that that 4-Runner design doing anything different wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Mazda didn't decide the spec yet. They will inform us next month...

Although they told is that the CX5 will probably the same spec as the one sold in Malaysia. So a 2.0G Skyactive engine.

Edited by JoeW

The highlander looks a little lower down than the fortuner so it looks similar to the CRV to me. It's interesting that the 4runer and highlander have very similar interiors, a good indication for the Thai fortuner.

I agree the 4runer looks like a rugged version of the outlander.

The current highlander is a car based crossover with a decent V6 but it's lower, softer and bigger than the Fortuner and the CR-V. Toyota's CR-V equivalent is the smaller RAV 4. The current Highlander is actually a bit of a barge, maybe the new version will be better. The front ends on both of those new Toyotas got a bit too close to the ugly stick, Mitsubishi do the trapezoid grills better. Isn't imitation supposed to be a form of flattery?

It would be a pity if Mazda only sell the gutless 2.0L petrol CX-5 in LOS. I hope they change their mind.

Edited by Jitar

The highlander looks a little lower down than the fortuner so it looks similar to the CRV to me. It's interesting that the 4runer and highlander have very similar interiors, a good indication for the Thai fortuner.

I agree the 4runer looks like a rugged version of the outlander.

The next gen Hilux & Fortuner are being designed (well, styled) in Australia, by a team that are trying their hardest to establish their credentials as a global design center, so don't expect them to borrow any styling parts from Toyota USA, JP or from TH for that matter..

Their only real gig before this project was the "Champ" minor change, and a TRD version of the Hilux a few years ago - this is their first attempt at doing a whole car, so will be doing what they can to make it their own..

Edited by IMHO

Not the most exciting thing, but did I see an advert for a diesel vios on telly the other day ?

Depends what country you're in :)

More what country the advertising came from... True vision sometimes has adverts from Singapore. Indo etc .

Mazda cx-5 read B a n g k o k P o s t Auto

15 May 2013

Mazda to launch Suv in Oktober

Petrol 2.0 L E20 : 1.2 and 1.3 million baht

Diesel 2.2 L : 1.6 to 1.7 million

Unfortunately this article reads like the only real insight is a launch month (which is around when we all expected anyway) - the rest seems to have been made up from there... Let's wait for another source to confirm the 2.2L - no better indicator of that than availability of the engine in the MY market where it's made ;)

Incidentally, it won't be the most economical compact SUV - the 1.0L Ecoboost Ford Ecosport will be taking that title right around the same time ;)

As I said, they did not decide on the specifications of the CX5 yet. They are currently looking into it, but since it is sourced from Malaysia it would come as a surprise that they would sell the 2.2 L diesel.

I think by the beginning of next month I should know more.

It seems Bangkok Post knows more than Mazda does :)

The journalists are probably guessing. The press in Malaysia talked about the diesel before the CX-5 was launched as well.

The Ecosport should be more economical than the CX-5 because apart from the Ecoboost engine, its smaller and lighter than the other medium crossovers. The Escape replacement would be a better competitor for the CX-5 but still now news from Ford on that one.

The real competition for the Mazda in LOS will be the CR-V. The Australian combined cycle fuel consumption figure for the FWD 2.0L Auto CX-5 is pretty good at 15.6km/L. The comparable CR-V is well behind 13.0 km/L. It will be interesting to see if the high compression Mazda Skyactive engine can delivery a fuel consumption advantage in real world (and LOS) driving.

Edited by Jitar

so would Mazda sell the 2.2 diesel in Thailand ?

While they were at it, Mazda engineers developed a 2.2-liter twin-turbo diesel four-cylinder that produces 170 hp at 4500 rpm. That engine will be a mainstay in Europe,

Re Fortuner v PJS, the seats in the Fortuner seem to be more comfortable than the PJS, but the biggest disadvantage of the Fortuner (as far as I'm concerned) is that it is constant 4WD. If they made it selectable, I may be persuaded to change brands (only may).

All Fortuners are not constant 4WD. only those speced as AWD

Yes - the only option is either AWD or 2WD. There is no option for selectable 2WD/4WD, which is the point I was trying to make. Perhaps I assumed too much in thinking my point was obvious...