Bicycle Wheels On Motorbikes / Scooters, Don'T Do It!

Gippy

Those thin wheels and tyres Thai's like to put on their bikes have always been a pet hate of mine.

Today I was travelling northbound along Vibhavadi Rangsit approaching the Nakhon Nayok turn off, heading to Khao Yai to annoy Samsiam as it happens. I was behind a guy on a Click with thin wheels and tyres when he hit a pot hole. It was quite a big hole, certainly the kind of hole it's best to avoid if possible. With a loud bang his rear wheel completely destroyed itself leaving him fishtailing down the road at 80kph. He somehow managed to hold it together until his speed dropped to about 20kph when he hit the deck. He was obviously a bit shocked but no real bodily damage done, he was wearing a helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

It was a disturbing sight but I'm sure he has probably already bought another bicycle wheel to replace it already.

• Like 1

er6 has reasonably wide wheels and it feels scary when you hit a big hole at speed ,god knows what possessess thai people to dump their stock wheels and take dangerous risks because bicycle wheels" look cool " and probably weight almost nothing too

all the kids have them on their new scooters going to school in mornings

17" with low profile tyres and such

Narrow tyres = less cost come replacement time

Narrow tyres = Less friction, resulting in a slightly higher top speed

A higher top speed = Getting laid in a teenager’s mind

But last about 10 mins on Isaan roads so they look daft pushing it in the girlies mind. cowboy.gif

Does it work.. if so Ill open up the fazer completely on next stretch of deserted road ...

Does it work.. if so Ill open up the fazer completely on next stretch of deserted road ...

Less cost... yes

Higher top speed..... yes

Attract the girls..... Yes. There are plenty of races up and down the country where their fellow competitors offer up their girlfriends as prizes for the night, i've forgotten the Thai name for this kind of race.

Are skinny tyres dangerous.... On public roads hell yeah!

Karl :)

saw a skinny tire jock do a face plant in Samui in December, ouch - slowly going into a turn, he grabbed too much front for the friction coefficient available - i.e., NOT MUCH! It was alarming how fast the front stepped out. idiot.

But... via physics 101, skinnier tires means the kids are onto something likely seen on skooter-boy racebikes:

-faster acceleration & deceleration due to less rotational/gyroscopic mass, but less stability as a result.

-better suspension response due to less unsprung weight,

-much faster turn-in and direction changes for the above reasons.

Minor details: tracks are clean & smooth & designed for high speed, and have fewer soi dogs and suicidal idiots [yes, I've almost pegged one of each on-track! TIT!!! Never assume anything.]

Moral: race equip is not necessarily good for street use.

Skinny wheels & tyres:

Some Pros: reduced weight rotating (dynamic) mass: less horsepower robbing -> equates to faster acceleration, easier handling (change direction). Improved braking (see Cons as well), improved brake wear.

And to a snippet quote from a source of mine:

a lighter wheel which readily moves in response to road bumps will have more grip and more constant grip when tracking over an imperfect road. For this reason, lighter wheels are sought especially for high-performance applications

Some Cons:

Less grip, more prone to punctures, wheel more more prone to buckling. Suspension requires adjusting for the lighter wheel/tyre combo (see snippet quote). By improving braking due to less rotating mass, intitally can induce skidding/lockups from the operator.

Really i think the whole issue is just plain funny!! The lack of any road sense and no riding skills is the problem in Thailand. I've been riding bikes my entire life and ive never seen so many brainless people on the road at one time!! And until something's done to actually teach will see the deaths we see now!!

When I had small bikes when I was younger I always wanted to get the fattest tyres possible for my little bike....

Yes, those were the days, but things change. Have you ever been sleepless thinking about why people weare their baseball caps backwards? laugh.png

And what's the idea of changing a perfectly comfortable seat to a non cushioned one?

Edited by Semper

All the teens and young guys love the skinny tires. They aren't worried about the possible consequences. Don't you guys remember when you thought you would live forever?

Same logic they use regarding helmets. No way! Messes up their hair!

By the way, how was the ride?

It got off to a bad start watching the guy hit the deck on a 4 or 5 lane highway but improved after that. I did pretty much the same loop as in BigBikeBBK's thread, 480km in total. Does anybody have some tips on making a 650R seat more comfy?

By the way, how was the ride?

It got off to a bad start watching the guy hit the deck on a 4 or 5 lane highway but improved after that. I did pretty much the same loop as in BigBikeBBK's thread, 480km in total. Does anybody have some tips on making a 650R seat more comfy?

I hated the stock seat, so got it re-shaped and recovered for 400 baht, or maybe it was 300... can't quite remember ;)

Edited by BigBikeBKK