Thailand's Thaksin Prepares For War

webfact

Moruya, #239

Do you really believe that there is such a thing as "membership"? That would imply that there is a list. It would also imply that there is an associated body to be a member of.

"yes" to all of the above.

Send a message to the opposition - be nice to the PTP or we will throw bags of shit in your gardens, throw AIDS infested blood over your house, bring a million litres of petrol to your city and burn it down

A bit sensationalist stated, but yes, protest will ensue if you try the coup trick again.

There will be no interregnum this time while the anti-coup people organize

Send a message to Yingluck and the PTP? They can do that at cabinet meetings

And they do, backed up by a clear signal of the vitality of membership.

Just in case some non-UDD/RS Cabinet members waver in their understanding of it.

Edited by CalgaryII

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer to was his Government legitimate.......No.

Wrong answer.

Elections legitimize a Government.

Parliamentary manueverings resulting in a clear anti-majority result is illegitimate.

Any semblance of legitimacy of such parliamentary manueverings were thoroughly discounted, given its coup underpinnings.

One can understand very quickly why those concerned, are very vigilant with respect to coups, as the headline of this thread suggests.

This is all very easy for me.

I sure wouldn't want to be in the position of defending a coup and all its' political and constitutional aftermath.

You guys are really struggling with that.

"as the headline of this thread suggests."

Remember, the information in this article, if there is an inkling of truth in it, is coming to us via the military. We should naturally ask ourselves why the military would want people to know/believe this. People with different political views will have different answers to that question.

"I sure wouldn't want to be in the position of defending a coup and all its' political and constitutional aftermath."

As you will have noticed, many here do not have a struggle at all with this point. They view a coup as a part of Thai democracy. I do not share that view. Regardless of the tyranny of a given leader, there are constitutional processes to resolve conflicts. Regardless of the difficulty of following constitutional processes, in the end I believe doing so is much better for the development of Thai democracy.

Just a final note for coup proponents : why did the coup occur just 5 weeks prior to an election?

Edited by tlansford
  • Like 1

Just in case some non-UDD/RS Cabinet members waver in their understanding of it.

So, a minority political group using protests to keep the coalition government in line.

The government planning a Control Centre to direct mass pro-government 'red-shirt' demonstrations.

History repeats itself. Germany 1930's, Communist countries. All with a need to show the world they are loved by population. Down with non-conformists, even the Gulag is too good for them. All in name of democracy of course. Let us be clear about that dry.png

Edited by rubl

The government planning a Control Centre to direct mass pro-government 'red-shirt' demonstrations.

History repeats itself. Germany 1930's, Communist countries. All with a need to show the world they are loved by population. Down with non-conformists, even the Gulag is too good for them. All in name of democracy of course. Let us be clear about that dry.png

Indeed Rubl and where is Germany now? A world leader? is Russia now evolving?.........so why can't Thailand be allowed to move forward, instead of being suffocated by people who apparently know a better way to fix the issues, but as yet their methodology and practical skills have failed the majority of the population

Let Thailand learn by their own success and mistakes............and remove the ridiculous repetitive act of re-setting a failed system

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Moruya, #239

Do you really believe that there is such a thing as "membership"? That would imply that there is a list. It would also imply that there is an associated body to be a member of.

"yes" to all of the above.

Send a message to the opposition - be nice to the PTP or we will throw bags of shit in your gardens, throw AIDS infested blood over your house, bring a million litres of petrol to your city and burn it down

A bit sensationalist stated, but yes, protest will ensue if you try the coup trick again.

There will be no interregnum this time while the anti-coup people organize

I can still hear the sounds of the nok gow wow

Indeed Rubl and where is Germany now? A world leader? is Russia now evolving?.........so why can't Thailand be allowed to move forward, instead of being suffocated by people who apparently know a better way to fix the issues, but as yet their methodology and practical skills have failed the majority of the population

Let Thailand learn by their own success and mistakes............and remove the ridiculous repetitive act of re-setting a failed system

Government directed pro-government protests seem like a way to hide that their methodology and practical skills have failed the majority of the population.

Thailand has the right the learn from it's own successes and mistakes. Still if you can learn a bit from others, maybe lots of mistakes can be avoided.

Government directed pro-government protests seem like a way to hide that their methodology and practical skills have failed the majority of the population.

Thailand has the right the learn from it's own successes and mistakes. Still if you can learn a bit from others, maybe lots of mistakes can be avoided.

Indeed - a careful eye should be kept on Egypt where the military are struggling to maintain control in the face of a popular uprising.

I can't believe my eyes, suggesting Nazy germany and the early history of Russia could be seen as role models, or at least could be seen as valid / desirable steps in the growth of democracy.

Another troll at work.

Indeed - a careful eye should be kept on Egypt where the military are struggling to maintain control in the face of a popular uprising.

Surely your not suggesting there is any parallel between the current 'model' of the Thai military and the Egyption military?

Well as long as the pro government rallies only "seem like a way"........we can wait until the next election to judge their skills........not even one year in office and you are predicting the next election result will surely go to the Democrats?......no?.....then let the people judge this government following a full term of office.....with their votes

Wrong answer.

Parliamentary manueverings resulting in a clear anti-majority result is illegitimate.

Any semblance of legitimacy of such parliamentary manueverings were thoroughly discounted, given its coup underpinnings.

One can understand very quickly why those concerned, are very vigilant with respect to coups, as the headline of this thread suggests.

I sure wouldn't want to be in the position of defending a coup and all its' political and constitutional aftermath.

"as the headline of this thread suggests."

Remember, the information in this article, if there is an inkling of truth in it, is coming to us via the military. We should naturally ask ourselves why the military would want people to know/believe this. People with different political views will have different answers to that question.

"I sure wouldn't want to be in the position of defending a coup and all its' political and constitutional aftermath."

As you will have noticed, many here do not have a struggle at all with this point. They view a coup as a part of Thai democracy. I do not share that view. Regardless of the tyranny of a given leader, there are constitutional processes to resolve conflicts. Regardless of the difficulty of following constitutional processes, in the end I believe doing so is much better for the development of Thai democracy.

Just a final note for coup proponents : why did the coup occur just 5 weeks prior to an election?

Remember, the information in this article, if there is an inkling of truth in it, is coming to us via the military. You write that as if it's a fact.

Can you prove it's a fact or is it just your opinion written deliberately to look like a fact?

I just seriously don't get this. Why are the journo's giving this criminal any media attention at all. What is this guy doing giving orders and stating that Thailands PM must be kept in the dark? He seems to be doing a practice run for the position he ultimately wants. The media is allowing this man to become self appointed President!!! He needs stopping/silencing quickly.

Hummm, "self appointed President" = "dictator".

On another note, what is passed off as "democracy" in most every country in the world that allows it's citizen to vote, is anything but Democracy! Thailand included. Individuals and corporations use huge amounts of money to procure "their" candidate a seat in the elections. Take a look at almost any election for a position of power: MP, congressman, senator, president, prime minister, etc. Doesn't it seem the least bit odd to you that almost all of these "candidates" have personal incomes that are 10x, 100x, or 1000x more than the average person on the street makes. So you think you are part of a democratic society because you are given the illusion that you have a voice in the political process? About the only country that has a form of government the resembles a democracy is Switzerland. Every other country simple has a "beauty contest" that masquerades as democracy. As a voter, you have the opportunity to choose from the wealthy candidates who have been hand-picked by the elites who control the huge sums of money plowed into the political campaigns. Now I can't solely blame the elites! I also blame the majority of moronic voter population who will support the candidates who have been buffed to glossiest shine by the elites and their campaign funds. Very, very very few people actually vote for a candidate who has a unique viewpoint and would actually become and agent of change -- good change. My wife actually has more backbone than almost any voter that I've met. She exercised her right to vote. She went to the Ampur polling location and cast a blank ballot. In her mind, there wasn't a candidate on the ballot who was capable of representing her interests. At least she has more moral fiber than the idiots who refuse to vote for any "non-status-quo" candidate because it would be "wasting my vote". So the major of Sheeple (people who eventually get fleeced by the very candidates they elect) buy the party line and vote for the two or three Beauty Pageant runner-ups that are put on the ballot by those with the $$$money$$$. As Joseph P. Kennedy put it, “Don't buy a single vote more than necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide.” And that's the sort of cocky, hubris that the elites show in plain sight.

So another billionaire is out to try to control his country of birth. What else is new? He's got the money. All he needs to do is buy enough of the military and judiciary, and he should be in the driver's seat again without having to rely on a family member as a proxy. I'll give him even odds at pulling it off. Money talks. And the Sheeple just pull the glossiest lever on the voting machine. Democracy in action -- gotta love it!

No hesittaion to agree that there is no perfect, or even near perfect model of democracy in existence, but some are not too bad relatively.

But because there's no perfect model doesn't mean that its' all OK for a dicator and his family to take over and supervise / sanction the execution of their own fellow citizens.

I can't believe my eyes, suggesting Nazy germany and the early history of Russia could be seen as role models, or at least could be seen as valid / desirable steps in the growth of democracy.

Another troll at work.

Not sure if Geo has been on the Leo or he's just on a wind up! I suspect it's probably both especially since modern day Russia and Germany could hardly be further away from what Lenin and Hitler had in mind.

• Like 1

Now that the red shirts have re-elected Mrs Weng (though the legitimacy of that democratic process is dubious) surely they will be able to make a clear statement of what they expect to achieve by their planned rallies.

Constitution change seems to be a major aim. Which sections and the benefits for their followers would be of interest.

As I read the situation with respect to rallies, they have several primary purposes:

• Keep the membership vital, involved, informed and cohesive
  • Send a message to all the various elements of the opposition that the UDD/Red Shirts are a force to be reckoned with. A message pointedly aimed at coup-ists. This is in support of the subject-matter of this thread.
  • Send a message to the PTP and Ms. Y, that their political base is alive and well, and to discount them in the face of Oppositional intimidation will be a mistake.
  • To focus on electoral promises and to project expectations, especially as it regards constitutional reform. This is the biggie of course considering the existential threat the coup constitution represents.
  • With respect to the 'clear statement" you suggest, let me assure you the UDD/RS membership is very clear on all these matters.

You seem to be foreever in cloud cuckoo land.

Focus on election promises. What ones have been met so far by the PTP/UDD government?

• Keep the membership vital, involved, informed and cohesive. Guess you mean keep them naive and drugged.

I won't bothered with the rest of your posturing.

• Like 1

Wrong answer.

Then I presume the Government in the UK - the Conservatives hold power with the support of the Lib Democrats is not a legitimate government? If it were not so then the Parliamentarians in the UK would be screaming their heads off. Many other Government in the world are also formed as a result of coalitions and indeed the present Thai Government has formed a coalition. All of this stuff off course is a diversion. The real issue here is why, if we have a Democratic government n Thailand, do the reds keep organising. Today I say a few hundred of them menacing around San Patong, no doubt on the way to Chiang Mai. I've said it before and I'll say it again: These people put the fear of God into me because the collective power of people, especially those banded together without a firm ideology is scary and dangerous.

- sniper -

Can you prove it's a fact or is it just your opinion written deliberately to look like a fact?

Well, as far as the credibility of the atimes online goes, and being a Sondi publication, that is certainly in question, too, but if you look at the first paragraph again, you'll see the follow sentence which influenced my post a weeeee bit...

according to senior Thai military sources familiar with the situation.

Well as long as the pro government rallies only "seem like a way"........we can wait until the next election to judge their skills........not even one year in office and you are predicting the next election result will surely go to the Democrats?......no?.....then let the people judge this government following a full term of office.....with their votes

If this government needs a control centre to direct pro-government protests something is wrong with this government. I'm not predicting anything, just observing.

- sniper -

Well, as far as the credibility of the atimes online goes, and being a Sondi publication, that is certainly in question, too, but if you look at the first paragraph again, you'll see the follow sentence which influenced my post a weeeee bit...

according to senior Thai military sources familiar with the situation.

Maybe the dear cousin, General Chaiyasit Shinawatra ?

If this government needs a control centre to direct pro-government protests something is wrong with this government. I'm not predicting anything, just observing.

Probably just aware that efficient crowd control is essential at these affairs, if the inconvenience to the public is to be kept to a minimum.........a liitle foresight that was found wanting with the previous administration

Probably just aware that efficient crowd control is essential at these affairs, if the inconvenience to the public is to be kept to a minimum.........a liitle foresight that was found wanting with the previous administration

And with every step boundaries of what it appropriate and/or legal are moved or made less effective. If the control center was just set up to more efficiently deal with crowd control and limit the inconvenience to the general public while some (regularly) protest, surely this CC would fall under the Police Force and not be set up by

"Newly appointed Thai Minister of Defense Air Chief Marshal Sukampon Suwannathat is quietly planning to activate a new "war room", or secretive unofficial command center, to direct mass pro-government "red-shirt" demonstrations planned for the coming months, according to senior Thai military sources familiar with the situation. (from OP)"

Another troll at work.

Not sure if Geo has been on the Leo or he's just on a wind up! I suspect it's probably both especially since modern day Russia and Germany could hardly be further away from what Lenin and Hitler had in mind.

My comment was not an advocation of any particular historical path, merely that many countries have and will make their own journey, and will continue to do so........if allowed

Indeed the fact that Germany and Russia have evolved into something that "could hardly be further away from what Lenin and Hitler had in mind" underlines my point

I guess you missed that in your enthusiasm to somehow link me to Lenin and Hitler.......a poor attempt at criticism by association

And with every step boundaries of what it appropriate and/or legal are moved or made less effective. If the control center was just set up to more efficiently deal with crowd control and limit the inconvenience to the general public while some (regularly) protest, surely this CC would fall under the Police Force and not be set up by

"Newly appointed Thai Minister of Defense Air Chief Marshal Sukampon Suwannathat is quietly planning to activate a new "war room", or secretive unofficial command center, to direct mass pro-government "red-shirt" demonstrations planned for the coming months, according to senior Thai military sources familiar with the situation. (from OP)"

You have an issue with utilising experience?

Edited by 473geo

You have an issue with utilising experience?

Lots of posters have told me that the use of the Army for crowd control as done in Thailand March - May 2010 would never, ever happen or even be allowed in decent democracies. Special trained units of the police force, that's the way to go.

Are you suggesting that having this CC set up by and under the control of the MoD is something you wouldn't have an issue with?

Edited by rubl

As well as efficient crowd control, one might think of efficient coup control. One begets the other, so ya may as well begin with the coup chicken.....or is it the coup egg?....dam_n, I'm confused.

Preventing a coup, would certainly prevent inconvenience to the voting public.

Just a little foresight now strongly in play.

I don’t know what all the hype and excitement is all about, it's just the media sensationalising about a room that has always been there?

It’s got nothing to do with Yingluck or her brother Thaksin; the info came from someone, according to senior Thai military sources, with nothing better to do with his time.

Nothing exciting to write about. The headline is all hype and crap.

Thailand's Thaksin prepares for war. A headline that is very misleading.

But obviously, enough to get the TVF members fighting amongst themselves. Mission accomplished.

I don’t know what all the hype and excitement is all about, it's just the media sensationalising about a room that has always been there?

It’s got nothing to do with Yingluck or her brother Thaksin; the info came from someone, according to senior Thai military sources, with nothing better to do with his time.

Nothing exciting to write about. The headline is all hype and crap.

Thailand's Thaksin prepares for war. A headline that is very misleading.

But obviously, enough to get the TVF members fighting amongst themselves. Mission accomplished.

Well, "according to senior Thai military sources" it does have something to do with Thaksin:

The war room, created at the direction of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra

It doesn't have anything to do with Yingluck, as she's being kept in the dark ... as usual. She is only PM after all.