Explosion At Karon Hotel - At least 30 tourists injured at Phuket Orchid Resort

emubob

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 30 tourists injured in Phuket resort explosion

PHUKET: -- Medical staff at Patong Hosptial were treating at least 30 patients and ferrying many of them to Vachira Hospital in Phuket City as fast as possible.

It is believed the mass injuries were caused in a burning incident at a Karon resort today. The injuries are thought to be related to a swimming pool chemical.

The names of 38 patients were posted on the wall outside Patong Hospital, north of Karon. The hospital emergency section was dealing with all the injured.

Children were among those being treated and transferred. Although the hospital had posted a list of names, no nationalities were given.

Many European names were on the list.

Medical staff said the cause of the incident and its consequences would be fully explained once the majority of the cases had been treated.

At least one person was categorised as seriously injured but most of the people being treated did not appear to be seriously injured.

Phuketwan was told that the resort involved had been cordoned off.

-- Phuketwan.com 2012-02-18

Source: http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-blast-resort-scores-treated-injuries-15521/

• Like 1

I'm curious what caused it. Smoking while filling the tank or bonking a valve with a hammer.

Class 1 Division 1 Hazardous Locations require expensive electrical fittings. Inspections are a pain in the arse, but very needed.

• Like 1

Dozens injured in Phuket resort pool chlorine ‘blast’

phuket-1-12347bMbvoBsKRRLRWoxIGahmkvIKYZ.jpg

Dozens of tourists have been rushed to hospitals in Phuket

Town for treatment of chlorine inhalation. Photo: Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: Dozens of tourists and resort workers were rushed to hospital this morning after a mix of pool cleaning agents “exploded” into a cloud of gas beside a pool at a Phuket resort.

Staff at the Phuket Orchid Resort in Karon confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the cloud of gas was formed by a mix of chlorine and other cleaning agents rapidly expanding in a tank beside the pool.

“It was not a bomb,” said one resort worker.

Officials have confirmed that at least 10 Thais and 26 foreigners were rushed to Patong Hospital for immediate treatment.

As all of those affected have suffered chlorine inhalation, they have been transferred to Phuket International Hospital, Bangkok Hospital Phuket and Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town for further treatment.

One father on holiday with his family from Norway told the Gazette that the major symptoms suffered by those affected included coughing and difficulty in breathing, sore throats and headaches.

“I heard about three or four ‘explosions’. There were about 100 people around the pool,” he said.

Staff at Vachira Hospital confirmed to the Gazette that four Thais – two males and two females – arrived at the hospital at 12:30pm.

“They are under observation and being administered oxygen to help them breathe,” the hospital staffer said.

Many of the people affected were sent to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

A hospital worker in the Emergency section told the Gazette, “At this stage we do not know exactly how many of those affected have been sent to us. Right now we are just trying to help them as quickly as possible as they arrive.

“The most seriously affected is a pregnant woman. She is being administered oxygen,” he said.

One worker at the resort told the Gazette that the mix of chemicals was purely an accident.

“He has been maintaining pools for 20 years. Today, he just did something wrong. It was just an accident,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-18

I know it wasn't only me that was filled with dread when reading the headline. The idea of a Bali style bombing came to mind. Like any other sane member of the human race I pray that these tourists and children pull through. It looks like it's an accidental explosion, however it puts into sharp relief the reality of the current terrorist threat. A sad day.

'“He has been maintaining pools for 20 years. Today, he just did something wrong. It was just an accident,” he said.'

Give the guy a break until we know more. Accidents happen, just be glad no one was killed from what we know so far. And be very grateful it was not an attack which of course is what everyone will think when they hear this. Especially after the incidents in Bangkok a few days ago.

• Like 2

Children doing a mans job. The level of technical expertise in Thailand is scary. So many people are doing jobs they are not qualified for, or do not understand. I was speaking to someone the other day, who was referring to the lack of expertise when it comes to getting a question answered about wine, at a restaurant in a 5 star hotel. They are charging 300 baht per glass, and the only details they understood was that there were two kinds of wine in the world. Red and white. Only the GM of the hotel had any detailed knowledge about varietals. How about water management? When the US Marine Corp offered early last year to teach the Thai engineers about water management techniques they were told that Thailand will never suffer major floods, as they had a lot of experts in water management. How much longer can Thailand keep up this charade? People are going to notice this sooner of later, right?

That's exactly it. THEY DON'T TAKE ADVICE FROM ANYONE! And people are perfectly aware of it and accept it!

Bit much like queensland australia really,they wont take advice either!!

I've noticed that as freedom goes up in a country, 'safety consciousness' goes down--and vice-versa. Can anyone explain, or offer counter-examples?

I treasure the freedom that Thailand offers, and realize that its price is eternal vigilance when crossing the road or doing almost anything else.

• Like 1

I'm curious what caused it. Smoking while filling the tank or bonking a valve with a hammer.

Class 1 Division 1 Hazardous Locations require expensive electrical fittings. Inspections are a pain in the arse, but very needed.

Would never have classed a swimming pool as class 1, div. 2

I've stayed in that hotel before with my family. It has a whole complex of interconnected pools and meandering rivulets. I would imagine that far greater quantities of water purifying chemicals would be stored on site than is the norm for hotels with only one pool. My heart goes out to all those affected by the blast, especially the children.

See this link for photos of the pools http://www.katagroup.com/phuketorchid/

Edited by Murgatroyd

... you know, this sounds as improbable that this was a bomb ... be sure, the Thai government will emphasize that in official statements again, and again, so authoritative and utterly empty.

... and I want to believe it was not a bomb, but with all the deceits and cover-ups for which the Thai government is now notorious (regardless of political stripe), I just cannot bring myself to believe anything they say ... even when it might be the truth ... who really knows?

... after over a decade here, I am conditioned to reflexively believe that if a Thai government official's lips are moving, they are lying ... I will believe it only after a foreigner, any foreigner, announces their view.

... I hate this, and what Thais have done to me in this regard.

Don't blame the Thais for that, blame yourself.

+1

• Like 1