You Think Thailand Is Bad? Try The Uk Pensions Lot!

msg362

Well the answer to the first point is pretty obvious, don't you think?

And I have no idea what you mean by the second. Why shouldnt one have the ability to maintain control over your own assets and savings?

You've been around here long enough to know that most of the money and assets taken off foreigners in Thailand were handed over by the foreigner with a big smile on his face.

Ahhhhhhhh . . . well, you can't protect idiots from themselves, I guess.

And neither should you try.

So in your opinion the vast majority of us farangs in LOS are idiots ?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the answer to the first point is pretty obvious, don't you think?

And I have no idea what you mean by the second. Why shouldnt one have the ability to maintain control over your own assets and savings?

You've been around here long enough to know that most of the money and assets taken off foreigners in Thailand were handed over by the foreigner with a big smile on his face.

Ahhhhhhhh . . . well, you can't protect idiots from themselves, I guess.

And neither should you try.

Your not an idiot if you knew you were gifting it.

Your an idiot if you think your getting it back.

Absolutely. I would have thought that was painfully obvious, dear transam.

What's your point?

Edited by bendix

Absolutely. I would have thought that was painfully obvious, dear transam.

What's your point?

My point was that most come here knowing Thai law and it's pitfalls, but to call folk idiots for doing it is a bit bellow the belt.

Even folk in farang land with all it's protections, guys and gals have come unstuck with investments they thought were sound. I had a marriage l thought was sound, in farang land, and put my heart and soul into it and came unstuck.

• Like 1

Anyway, no one has yet put a figure on it. My aunt, state pension, age 63, widow, £140 a week. No serps,company pensions etc. That's the figure she gets in her book every week.

How does that compare

How does that compare to what?

Anyway, no one has yet put a figure on it. My aunt, state pension, age 63, widow, £140 a week. No serps,company pensions etc. That's the figure she gets in her book every week.

How does that compare

The level of income paid to retirees in thailand

How does that compare

The level of income paid to retirees in thailand

Surely it depends on a variety of factors too complex to make a comparison? Some will only get basic pension - others will get second pension top-ups. And surely if the point is that it is frozen from when you take it, then someone who started getting it in, say 1995 will be in a completely different position from someone getting it for the first time last year?

Are you feeling ok, theblether? You're a bit slow today old boy.

your aunts lucky,i contributed(ni contributions)for 50 years always in full time employment,at the going rate of 5 to 12 percent of my wages,over a certain threshold,and i now recieve the princely sum of 109 pounds a week,which includes a small graduated pension amount,.i contracted out of serps,which i placed with a pp company who give me 819 quid gross a year,which is taxed at 20%.suppose one must be thankful for small mercys.

I wish that everybody who has a UK state pension was entitled to the same where ever they choose to live,but with the current economic struggle things are only going to get worse,I pay my taxes and NI in the UK still,I'm 32 and worked since I left school,but the government want me to work until I am 67 or likely 70 for my pension is that fair.

Blimey i retired to Thailand at age 22

Are you feeling ok, theblether? You're a bit slow today old boy.

I'll be back on form directly bendix, I'm using a Blackberry and it's hard to follow what's going on sometimes biggrin.png anyway thanks for your concern, I didn't know you cared wub.png

your aunts lucky,i contributed(ni contributions)for 50 years always in full time employment,at the going rate of 5 to 12 percent of my wages,over a certain threshold,and i now recieve the princely sum of 109 pounds a week,which includes a small graduated pension amount,.i contracted out of serps,which i placed with a pp company who give me 819 quid gross a year,which is taxed at 20%.suppose one must be thankful for small mercys.

I'll interrogate her a little more as to how it's made up and get back to you. I know she did express surprise at getting as much as £140.00.

Edited by theblether

The blether "I didnt know you cared!" Wonderful comedy series, could have been here i n Thailand!

Ah, you spotted it. Snow digging is a real piss off and ends up here. laugh.png

wooooooosh

theblether confesses that he is not up to speed with the geriatric sense of humour huh.png

Edited by theblether

The blether "I didnt know you cared!" Wonderful comedy series, could have been here i n Thailand!

wooooooosh

theblether confesses that he is not up to speed with the geriatric sense of humour huh.png

Don't worry, it will catch up with you. ohmy.png

wooooooosh

Something else to look forward to unsure.png

wooooooosh

Unless you time-out first ! ermm.gif

as my late-father told me, growing old isn't so bad, when you compare it with the alternative ! laugh.png

Edited by Ricardo

Wonderful thread, keep it coming!!

An update:

After phone call No ?5? I was promised a return call from an IT man. Well last night at about 8.00 pm I got a call. The gist was 'I don't know why your money has been stopped, I don't know when you might get it' This was a full rate call from the UK.

You might imagine, I asked him how he expected me to eat, of course he did not know. He said someone would call me again today, to which my succinct ( and slightly irate) reply was sort of' 'I don't want phone calls , I want the money'. But joy of joys!! at 3.00 pm our time ( 8.00 am UK time) when I phoned yet again I am told I am no longer 'pending ' as I have been for about 3 weeks ( don't try it-shortens your life!!) and am now 'issued'. Which they tell me means the money will appear 'soon'( 3-5 working days)

I now want all TV readers to hold their breath!

Hopefully just one more post from me when I am 'sabaai sabaai'

Excellent news.........

I've never seen a graph from anyone showing the amount of difference it would make to someone's income if the pension freeze was ended.

Does anyone have the figures? I'm not interested in the cost to the government, I'm interested in the actual financial difference to individuals.

At a guess, theblether, I'd suggest it's probably similar to a graph showing the impact of inflation . . .

Incidentally, while it appears to be good news that the government is looking into this, it's curious that the impact of exchange rates hasn't been mentioned once in this entire thread. We have 13 pages of people moaning that UK pensioners in Thailand are not getting an inflation linked increase every year, but the reality is that the most important factor in a Brit living on a state pension in LOS is probably exchange rate movements.

Er I did in the OP

"I didn't know you ared." Have a look on youtube for it. Uncle Mort would have been a great forum member! He was also a pensioner so on topic!

Thanks very much nong

Yes, Uncle Mort is alive and well and here on Thaivisa tongue.png

I am glad you enjoyed it, what a character!

"I didn't know you ared." Have a look on youtube for it. Uncle Mort would have been a great forum member! He was also a pensioner so on topic!

Thanks very much nong

Yes, Uncle Mort is alive and well and here on Thaivisa tongue.png

I am glad you enjoyed it, what a character!

I've been watching it for the past hour......the one about ugly women is hysterical biggrin.png

I have lived in Germany for 20 years and have been a freelance interpreter for the last 30 years. My British pension is derisory but I was never so naive as to believe the government would keep me in comfort in my dotage, so I saved whenever I earned. Consequently, I have enough to get by and I still work part time, because I want to. My advice to younger people, prepare to take care of yourselves now because when you reach 65 you will become a very low priority case in the eyes of the government du jour..

PS: BENDIX; HOW YA DOING?