Do You Ever Ride Without A Helmet

nattydread

I have a friend who rides a little Scoopy every day. It's a little more than a year old and has 22,000 kilometers on it. I told him that if he would promise to wear a helmet, I'd give him a decent one with a good face shield. He declined and told me he doesn't like helmets. I quizzed him about the big flying bugs and asked him if he ever got hit in the eye. He says he has hit a lot of them and they do hurt but has never gotten hit in the eye. This guy is about 65 years old. Maybe he has a death wish?

I must confess that when I'm just zipping down to the 7-11 on a scooter I often leave the helmet behind. I'm not going fast and I think the chances of an accident are pretty slim. (I actually worry more about getting hit by a car or bike when I WALK to the 7-11)...

I could actually confess to the same behavior when I jot down to the 7/11 on the wife's scooter as well.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who rides a little Scoopy every day. It's a little more than a year old and has 22,000 kilometers on it. I told him that if he would promise to wear a helmet, I'd give him a decent one with a good face shield. He declined and told me he doesn't like helmets. I quizzed him about the big flying bugs and asked him if he ever got hit in the eye. He says he has hit a lot of them and they do hurt but has never gotten hit in the eye. This guy is about 65 years old. Maybe he has a death wish?

I must confess that when I'm just zipping down to the 7-11 on a scooter I often leave the helmet behind. I'm not going fast and I think the chances of an accident are pretty slim. (I actually worry more about getting hit by a car or bike when I WALK to the 7-11)...

I could actually confess to the same behavior when I jot down to the 7/11 on the wife's scooter as well.

And me too.

Funny thing is this is most likely when things will go wrong,as of yet they haven't.

Edited by stoneyboy

And me too.

Funny thing is this is most likely when things will go wrong,as of yet they haven't.

Perhaps but on my way to the 7/11 up the street I am not going near the speeds I am when I am out on the sukumvit.

That being said.. I do remember my mom always telling me as a kid that you are more likely to get in an auto accident within 5 miles from your home. Think it was something about being the most comfortable in that area and this not paying the most attention.

Edited by Jayman

Learned my lesson at 14 years old. Riding down a country road a dragonfly flew straight into my right eye at 65 mph, vision in right eye has never been the same since. I had a helmet on (Bell Moto 3) but goggles were off.

Wishful thinking. Most accidents happen to a person within 1.5km of their homes.

Wishful thinking. Most accidents happen to a person within 1.5km of their homes.

you sound like my mom ;)

I was letting my 750 Honda run for a bit and at about 100 MPH, not KPH, and got hit in the forehead, nearly between the eyes with a huge bumble bee. It almost took me off the bike. I had no idea what hit me until I was able to get off the road and pull my helmet off. There were bits of black and yellow smeared all over my forehead and the helmet. I shuddered at the thought of that bumble bee hitting a lens of my sunglasses. That's when I started using my face shields very faithfully. Way back then, face shields were normally the type that snap on and were kind of a pain to use,

I've read similar statistics about most accidents happening close to home, but I only ride the scooter close to home and as mentioned it's very low speed and a really short distance. I gear up when I jump on a proper bike to cover any real distance, but for the occasional ride to the corner store it seems a bit much to get all geared up. Heck, I don't even leave the Moo Baan :)

Funny to hear all the excuses of people when not wearing a helmet. Its about the simple task of putting a simple little helmet onto the head. Really not a big deal.

But for many a big lost of face. "Hey look, this guy is wearing a helmet on a 125cc scooter, harhar, he fears falling down with this toy, harhar..."

Loosing face is the main reason for most people. And the heat of course, but heat is part of the excuses for people not wearing protective gear at all. Endless stories, endless excuses, endless wishful thinking.

Funny, people wearing helmets to protect the eyes against bugs. You do not need a helmet for this. But a nice argument to keep your face laugh.png

Sometimes I ride down an escalator with NO HANDS just for the danger and adrenaline kick it gives me!

Sometimes I run around with scissors in my hand, and I've been guilty of smoking in bed and using a cell phone on an airplane too! Shocking isn't it?! whistling.gif

I guess some of us just like to live DANGEROUSLY! giggle.gif

Here's a good read:

How to Live Dangerously: Why We Should All Stop Worrying & Start Living

Summary with creepy cartoon guy-

quite a few of the motorbike taxi riders in pattaya wear full face helmets and offer passenger next to nothing, I never take my bike out at night when going drinking but I sometimes wonder if the guy taking me home has had more than me, if I see a bottle at a taxi rank I walk on by or if I know them I ask who hasn't been drinking - generally get the point and I always insist that they drive slowly

I think "wantan" and "transam" should get together and talk about their helmet experinces then get back here and tell us how they GOT ON top of things, I'm trying to figure out how I've survived without the wisdom of these two geniuses, girls please leave no stone unturned and get back here as soon as you have explored every possibility together......we are waiting

quite a few of the motorbike taxi riders in pattaya wear full face helmets and offer passenger next to nothing, I never take my bike out at night when going drinking but I sometimes wonder if the guy taking me home has had more than me, if I see a bottle at a taxi rank I walk on by or if I know them I ask who hasn't been drinking - generally get the point and I always insist that they drive slowly

Getting back from BKK by bus and pulling into CNX bus terminal, i was approached by a cross eyed mocyc taxi driver....i said no thank you.

I wear a helmet so I don't lose my face..... literally. (it ain't a great looking face but its mine)

You are a good boy, thaicbr. There are some things farang could do better than thais. Not many, but some. Putting a helmet on my head. Some people just do it, others discuss the need doing it biggrin.png

macknife, there are good cheaper helmets out there. No need to take your 15k Baht helmet to 7/11. And than, if you decide to go for a spin after leaving 7/11, you can do it without going home again. This is the real freedom.

Funny to hear all the excuses of people when not wearing a helmet. Its about the simple task of putting a simple little helmet onto the head. Really not a big deal.

But for many a big lost of face. "Hey look, this guy is wearing a helmet on a 125cc scooter, harhar, he fears falling down with this toy, harhar..."

Loosing face is the main reason for most people. And the heat of course, but heat is part of the excuses for people not wearing protective gear at all. Endless stories, endless excuses, endless wishful thinking.

Funny, people wearing helmets to protect the eyes against bugs. You do not need a helmet for this. But a nice argument to keep your face laugh.png

Think you have a point, young Thais do lose face if they are in with the ''in crowd'', and for some farangs here it's fear of losing their ''macho street cred'', want to be like the native ''lado'' and not be laughed at. Fortunately most of us grow up and face reality and the reality in LOS is, it doesn't matter how good a rider YOU think you are 99% of the riders/drivers in LOS are not, you can be taken out anytime as virtually nobody looks or uses basic common sense. You are not in farang land where we all new the rules and READ the road ahead, doesn't happen here.

As for smedly,, well, from your comments and lack of understanding perhaps a crash hat hasn't got much to protect in your case, but l wish you luck. jap.gif

Sunglasses dont offer the same protection that a faceshield does...and dust still gets in with sunglasses, heck dust still gets in with a faceshield, but not as much as with glasses.

Think you have a point, young Thais do lose face if they are in with the ''in crowd'', and for some farangs here it's fear of losing their ''macho street cred'', want to be like the native ''lado'' and not be laughed at. Fortunately most of us grow up and face reality and the reality in LOS is, it doesn't matter how good a rider YOU think you are 99% of the riders/drivers in LOS are not, you can be taken out anytime as virtually nobody looks or uses basic common sense. You are not in farang land where we all new the rules and READ the road ahead, doesn't happen here.

As for smedly,, well, from your comments and lack of understanding perhaps a crash hat hasn't got much to protect in your case, but l wish you luck. jap.gif

Yep, i guess its called "peer pressure" in englisch. Of course most farang coming to LOS are doing the same most people do here. So its no surprise there are so many tourists renting bikes and not wearing helmets. And its no suprise that some farang after staying for years still behave like thai people show them.

Riding a bike and wearing a helmet are two things that belong together. No need to think about it. No need to calculate risks. I grap one of my motorcycle keys and grap a helmet.

Without helmet? Never!

But sometimes wearing flip-flops biggrin.png

Edited by wantan

Sunglasses dont offer the same protection that a faceshield does...and dust still gets in with sunglasses, heck dust still gets in with a faceshield, but not as much as with glasses.

I don't meant sunglasses. There are special motorbike goggles to protect the eyes. Same as old pilot goggles. Or motocross goggles.

I don't meant sunglasses. There are special motorbike goggles to protect the eyes. Same as old pilot goggles. Or motocross goggles.

Had them in my Spitfire, but that was for the cold, glycol or glass in my eyes. laugh.png

I think vanity has a little to do with it too, some consider themselves to be god's gift to all that have a fanny between their legs, and as a result these well groomed individuals have to show how handsome they are to all the pretty ladies around their own area in the hope that they will land themselves with a telephone number or two.

I’ve seen plenty of Farangs and Thais riding helmetless around Bangkok, paying more attention to anything that happens to be wearing a short skirt, or as a matter of fact ANYTHING that happens to be of the opposite sex! I don’t wish it on anyone but I see this so often, it’s just a matter of time.. :(

Getting ‘noticed’ isn’t a good enough reason for not wearing a helmet, regardless of how far the journey is...

I think vanity has a little to do with it too, some consider themselves to be god's gift to all that have a fanny between their legs, and as a result these well groomed individuals have to show how handsome they are to all the pretty ladies around their own area in the hope that they will land themselves with a telephone number or two.

I’ve seen plenty of Farangs and Thais riding helmetless around Bangkok, paying more attention to anything that happens to be wearing a short skirt, or as a matter of fact ANYTHING that happens to be of the opposite sex! I don’t wish it on anyone but I see this so often, it’s just a matter of time.. sad.png

Getting ‘noticed’ isn’t a good enough reason for not wearing a helmet, regardless of how far the journey is...

Think you have got the picture, BUT some here will not like the truth.

... and wearing them, you look a complete <deleted> - like Crazy Frog !

(I have a pair too :))

Living in the boonies I enjoy a gentle ride out on the country roads - probably no more than 60 kph. I enjoy the fresh air and often prefer to tootle along without a helmet. I fully accept that there is no excuse for NOT wearing a helmet and it does appear that the police 100% advertising is getting through.

Drove past a police helmet check today.

Just as two police rode off on their bikes, helmets on, straps dangling.

Yep, even police fears losing the face if they close the straps. Closing the straps means: "I fear there could be an accident". Not closing the straps means: "I just wear the helmet because law says so. Of course i fear nothing and i am the greatest" biggrin.png