Toyota Overfills Oil While In Service

bikerjoy

And that is measured with cold oil? I would take some out.

Yes, quite right. The way I understand it (??) is that space should be allowed for heat expansion. That's why i say the Thailand is hot excuse is nonsense.

Yes, it's nonsense from the "mechanics". However, to the OP, I wouldn't worry about it it's not a big deal.

Edited by Semper

WELL IT WAS MEASURED WITH COLD ENGINE IN THE MORNING AND ALSO WITH ENGINE TURNED OFF AND WAITED 5 MIN.

STILL 10 mm HIGHER THAN MAX. MARK. MANAGER TOLD ME THAT THEY DO IT THAT WAY ON ALL PICK-UP's....

told them to suck some off, like they do - or used to do in europe some yrs ago for a quick oil change. but noop ..no can do.!

told them lower mark is full already, andmax. has a reason...max. means no more.

To get that kind of poor service from a Toyota agency then get told it's because Thailand is too hot is a disgraceful attitude from such an international company.

It may not be a big deal if from a local shop on the corner outfit but unacceptable from one of the major auto companies.

WELL IT WAS MEASURED WITH COLD ENGINE IN THE MORNING AND ALSO WITH ENGINE TURNED OFF AND WAITED 5 MIN.

STILL 10 mm HIGHER THAN MAX. MARK. MANAGER TOLD ME THAT THEY DO IT THAT WAY ON ALL PICK-UP's....

told them to suck some off, like they do - or used to do in europe some yrs ago for a quick oil change. but noop ..no can do.!

told them lower mark is full already, andmax. has a reason...max. means no more.

The max mark is full, but anything between low and max is okay. Normal the difference between low and max is 1/2 to 1 quart depending on the auto. When you reach the low point you should add oil to max point but never over fill. Yes it can damage your engine not not likely if just once. You owners manual says the same, contact toyota service via the website or national hotline. The dealer should be corrected.

Edited by gosompoi

Why don't they design a relife valve in it. If too much oil, it will just bleed off automatically.

No one ever think of that?

Would be interesting to see this contraption.

Engineering solutions to problems that don't exist is always interesting.

The same guy who overfills the oil would also wire the overflow valve shut because TiT!

Edited by necronx99

Ask for the manager and make him and the oil rag that you spoke to lose face. Also write to Toyota Japan and complain because they will take it seriously and the Thai's won't unless their ass's are kicked. Fact is, as Semper said, this will not harm your engine on a one-off basis but if they are doing this sort of thing regularly they need 'guidance' from their Japanese masters.

First of all; KENKATE nails it when he writes: "My advise would be to reduce it to the correct level. Too much oil puts exess presure on the crankshaft oil seals and they could fail."

Secondly; I also own a Vigo, 3-Lt, 4x4 - 4 Door and I absolutely love this vehicle !

However; the service at the Toyota dealer here in Pattaya (the one on the west-side of Sukhumvit) is getting fairly disgusting:

During my last 'Big-Service', they called me a number of times:

1. To "advise" me that I should replace the worn-out brake-pads on the back wheels (I subsequently took my car to B-Quik to verify this and was told that they were at least 75% - hence no reason to replace ! !)

2. To "advice" me that I should change my perfectly fine window-wiper rubbers ? ? ?

3. To "advice" me that I needed to 'overhaul' my perfectly well functioning Air-Conditioning system ? ?

Needless to say that I will NOT ever take my car to the Toyota-Dealer ever again, because I have lost all trust in these people ! ! !

I understand they apply similar 'tactics' with other customers, so please be warned and verify anything they tell you.

First of all; KENKATE nails it when he writes: "My advise would be to reduce it to the correct level. Too much oil puts exess presure on the crankshaft oil seals and they could fail."

Secondly; I also own a Vigo, 3-Lt, 4x4 - 4 Door and I absolutely love this vehicle !

However; the service at the Toyota dealer here in Pattaya (the one on the west-side of Sukhumvit) is getting fairly disgusting:

During my last 'Big-Service', they called me a number of times:

1. To "advise" me that I should replace the worn-out brake-pads on the back wheels (I subsequently took my car to B-Quik to verify this and was told that they were at least 75% - hence no reason to replace ! !)

2. To "advice" me that I should change my perfectly fine window-wiper rubbers ? ? ?

3. To "advice" me that I needed to 'overhaul' my perfectly well functioning Air-Conditioning system ? ?

Needless to say that I will NOT ever take my car to the Toyota-Dealer ever again, because I have lost all trust in these people ! ! !

I understand they apply similar 'tactics' with other customers, so please be warned and verify anything they tell you.

I agree drain the extra, fairly easy to do. Be sure to drain it into a clean pan in case you need to pour a little back.

Wow, I would not have any faith after a service experience like that. First off brake service is most common service scam worldwide since it takes the least amount of labor to replace pads or shoes but can yield 10x profit. Second, wiper blades? really unless damaged wait until rainy season and only replace if they are not performing properly or damaged. Service a/c? If it is not broken then do not fix it. The coolant has lubricant already and is a completely closed loop system that only requires annual inspection and pressure testing.

Care to elaborate on this? We are talking about 1 liter extra oil.

My Ford Ranger was not handling good coming from Lamphang, so took it to Ford Dealer to ck front end parts. they put it up on the rack and started pointing at many things that "needed" replacing. 8500b, they would have to order parts from bkk.Also said two new tires would be 5000b each...they said they would call when parts came in..never did...

I then went to Dunlap(goodyear) where i normaly have my work done. They ck'd for worn parts...nothing to replace. Did buy two new tires 3800b(same as Ford dealer) Drives great now....

chorizo............

the oil stick to check the oil-indicates too much inside. over about 10 mm....we are thinking metric not old fashion brits inches...

I believe there is a purpose that the jap engineers marked low and hight. but alas thai logicsss.

How many liters of oil did they charge you for? Check your owners manual how much oil it needs when you make an oil change including the filter change. If they charge you for more oil than that, then it's a rip off and you should complain to the manager.

I use to have a Toyota track and serviced regularly at the dealer,but they charge much more for the labor,so I've started to just buy oil/filter from them and do the change at the gas station (cost only 150 Baht)..I've hardly ever checked the level before since the car was on guarantee and I've assumed that they know what they're doing....but they always put empty containers in the back,so to prove that they did put new oil in....anyway,after doing this at the gas station the first time I did check the level after they put new oil in and it was over the "max" mark...so I did tell the guy to drain some.He was not happy and of course said the famous "mai pen dri",but he did drain for no extra charge.

It looks like it is a common practice here,because the same happened recently when I've changed the oil in the Honda City....they just purr everything in and said it's 4 liter.

Now,when I was in US and had small Honda the amount there was 4 quarts and normally it was just perfect...here they use 4 liters and that may make the overfill possible,since liter is a little more than a quart.My Toyota use to take 5 and 1/2 L to fill to the "max" mark,which leaves 1/2 L left over.BTW,I've never got that 1/2L back from Toyota when they serviced the track....

No imtention to hijack this topic but now that we ar on it.

I took my Nissan Navara for it's 60.000Km inspection at the dealer today,and this includes checking and cleaning of the brakes and changing brake oil.

There were not any parts replaced or repaired other than then the new brake oil,for which I got charged,but on the bill was 630 Baht as labour only for checking the 4 brakes.

I know this is only a fraction from what it would have been at the Nissan dealer in my homecountry,but doesn't this sound a bit over the top?