Sick To Be Called "Farang"

When children look at me and just say the one word "Farang!" it is obvious that they consider this disrespectful and michievous. Where do they get that idea from? Well it must be from the adults. According to my missus it is perfectly OK for people to refer to me as Farang when talking about me, but is extremely bad manners to refer to me as Farang to my face. She is Thai, so I have to think that she knows what she is talking about.

When Thais talk to each other they will usually use words like Pee or Nong and refer respectfully to older people as Mother, Aunt, uncle, grandfather etc, when they are not related and even with people that they do not know. Sometimes they may even use the person's name smile.png

When my stepdaughter talks to me, she will sometimes call me Papa and sometimes Por, all her friends call me Papa, maybe because they think that is my name smile.png

I very rarely hear anybody call me Farang nowadays, but I have lived in this village for 5 years now.

I think the kids thing is just because they don't see a farang much not naughty. I get farang, farang from kids I don't know in Chonburi City regularly where there is very few other farangs and everytime when cycling out of town into the country where there is none, but pretty much never in Bangkok. All kids I know call me Andeeeee or Pee Andeeeeeee.

I think it's considered bad manners to say farang to someones face because it shows they can't remember your name. Same as every country when you can't remember someones name.

They know you as Andy then Aurthur? - Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses sketch.

Dave (bar man): "So, what's Dellboy calling the baby?"

Trigger: "Oh, they are gonna call him 'Rodney', after Dave"

smile.png

Arthur Wait is the stand I used to watch Palace from. I didn't put much thought into it.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are being reffered to as farang it probably means that you are acting like one. Not a bad thing to behave like a farang, but not something to be encouraged if you are thinking about living here the long haul. Garner respect from the locals and they stop calling you farang and replace it with one of their own terms.

Erm, "farang" is one of their own terms. How can you be "acting like a farang"? Please explain. Its a colour grouping, pure and simple. Thais do not call black people farang, they do not call middle eastern looking (even mediteranian looking) people farang - only white people - where ever they originate from. Kids of mixed race are often called farang-noi (also look kreung) due to their light skin and half white ancestry.

Let's not be mistaken it is a racial term even if it is not understood to be by the user to be (maybe somewhat akin to the use of terms such as negro in the past was not always meant with aggression, but as a grouping term - still a racial one though).

As I said above it does not bother me very often unless the intent is to offend, but that does not take away the underlying context.

Of course it is a racial term that loosely refers to anyone outside of Asia. Farang dam (black farang) is another term for what the Thais also term negro. The point of my post was that if you are able to converse in Thai and behave in a way sensitive to their social fabric then you will not be referred to as farang. You will be phi, nong, lung, ba, yai, kon or whatever. Quite simple to understand if you make the effort.

If you are being reffered to as farang it probably means that you are acting like one. Not a bad thing to behave like a farang, but not something to be encouraged if you are thinking about living here the long haul. Garner respect from the locals and they stop calling you farang and replace it with one of their own terms.

Erm, "farang" is one of their own terms. How can you be "acting like a farang"? Please explain. Its a colour grouping, pure and simple. Thais do not call black people farang, they do not call middle eastern looking (even mediteranian looking) people farang - only white people - where ever they originate from. Kids of mixed race are often called farang-noi (also look kreung) due to their light skin and half white ancestry.

Let's not be mistaken it is a racial term even if it is not understood to be by the user to be (maybe somewhat akin to the use of terms such as negro in the past was not always meant with aggression, but as a grouping term - still a racial one though).

As I said above it does not bother me very often unless the intent is to offend, but that does not take away the underlying context.

Of course it is a racial term that loosely refers to anyone outside of Asia. Farang dam (black farang) is another term for what the Thais also term negro. The point of my post was that if you are able to converse in Thai and behave in a way sensitive to their social fabric then you will not be referred to as farang. You will be phi, nong, lung, ba, yai, kon or whatever. Quite simple to understand if you make the effort.

I agree but it does not stop the indiscriminate howls of Farang most days I go into town from innocent kids and wiser adults alike.Much also depends on the location,if one like me lives where few westerners are seen then it's more prevalent,i don't find it derogatory,more annoying as the after the screech of Farang one has to endure the STARE of shock.

Edited by stoneyboy

The Thai people I know or family of the current woman in my life refer to me by name.

I see Farang as a gerneric term. For example someone might talk to my g/f and say something along the lines of, 'I see you have a Farang boyfriend.' How is that derogatory? To me it means having a foreigner as a boyfriend. If we are out together some women might also refer to me as Farang but they do not know my name, so they use the word they find most suitable. After all they cannot say things like who is your boyfriend / husband or whatever because they may not know what our relationship is.

Farang can be meant badly in terms of speech depending on the context. In the same way I might see some white guy out with an asian woman and ask who is that asian bird you are with. That is not derogatory either.

I think you have serious problems here, OP. You appear more like Victor Meldrew than Meldrew himself. You need to learn to chill out. Go smoke some dope or whatever smile.png

so if you where in your own country would they say who is the asian.. no they would not

• Like 1

Never heard farang dum - usually Khon Si Dum or Khon Dum (or more insulting versions thereof). My point was that walking down the street where no one knows you, or standing in a bank queue for example, we hear the farang word shouted at us or in other people's general converstaion - they can't hear you speak - and as they don't know you, they will still call you farang. Of course if you live in a village with half a dozen inhabitants that all know you, then it would be very insuting to be refered to as farang and a name or honorific is more likely - but most of us don't.

What effort is possible other than walking along saying out loud "pom cheur *****, bpen kon *******, mai riak kharn pom eng farang" over and over.

Interesting to see how those who may possibly have been on the side that was dishing out derogatory names for minorities are the ones who are complaining about a harmless generic terms used to describe non-Thais. fuc_king pointless thread

How can you "see" how many posters here "have been on the side that was dishing out derogatory names for minorities"? Blatantly, you can't - so how could it be in anyway interesting? Seems to me your post has far less point than any other in this thread.

Blatantly, I can. Some people are on here complaining about the disrespectful connotations of being addressed using the term farang.

Mercifully, most don't give a monkey's while others complain about its "derogatory" overtones. I can see that those who are complaining about it would more than likely be the sort who've never had to cope with much in the way of discrimination or racism during the course of their lives most likely because they've spent most of their lives on the side (ie the majority) from where it's been dished out to those in the minority.

Now, as a minority in LOS, they complain about an innocuous term as though it's a racist slur being dished out by the Thai majority.

I know what racism and discrimination means having been on the receiving end of it in England and, in my opinion, Thais are not being racist or discriminatory when they refer to a non-Thai/Asian as "farang" but perhaps those so offended by the term would be happier if the Thai authorities took a leaf out of the PC handbook that so many of them rail against when citing their reasons for leaving their homelands. Could it be that it's only "Politically Correctness gone mad" when it doesn't offend your moral sensibilities?

Edited by HardenedSoul

Perhaps it is harsh to say sick of being called farang, but unfortunately Thailand have not yet evolved any other words to use for or refer to white skinned caucasian race.

I don`t feel sick but do get annoyed when someone just calls me farang. I always say, sorry, I am not farang. Did you see any? Most of them gets confused.

Interesting to see how those who may possibly have been on the side that was dishing out derogatory names for minorities are the ones who are complaining about a harmless generic terms used to describe non-Thais. fuc_king pointless thread

How can you "see" how many posters here "have been on the side that was dishing out derogatory names for minorities"? Blatantly, you can't - so how could it be in anyway interesting? Seems to me your post has far less point than any other in this thread.

Blatantly, I can. Some people are on here complaining about the disrespectful connotations of being addressed using the term farang.

Mercifully, most don't give a monkey's while others complain about its "derogatory" overtones. I can see that those who are complaining about it would more than likely be the sort who've never had to cope with much in the way of discrimination or racism during the course of their lives most likely because they've spent most of their lives on the side (ie the majority) from where it's been dished out to those in the minority.

Now, as a minority in LOS, they complain about an innocuous term as though it's a racist slur being dished out by the Thai majority.

I know what racism and discrimination means having been on the receiving end of it in England and, in my opinion, Thais are not being racist or discriminatory when they refer to a non-Thai/Asian as "farang" but perhaps those so offended by the term would be happier if the Thai authorities took a leaf out of the PC handbook that so many of them rail against when citing their reasons for leaving their homelands. Could it be that it's only "Politically Correctness gone mad" when it doesn't offend your moral sensibilities?

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but I still think it's a stretch to suggest that just because the mojority of posters talking about the term farang would be racists in their own country. I would suggest that people that tend to live in foreign countries are more likely to NOT be the sort of aresholes that use racist slurs in their home countries - stands to reason. Many of us, I would suggest, would be offended by the use of such slurs as the N word and (in the UK at least) the P word etc in our home countries - I know I have.

I am sorry you suffered these idiots, but it's just as racist to accuse all white people of being racist because of it - do you not see that?

farang mean for me f... white trash!

and you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

If you think you are white trash, you are probably white trash.

If you are familiar with Thaind and are familiar with the routine use of "farang", to categorise any white Westener, then you you will neither be ofdfended nor consider yourself white trash.

Imagine how a "Chocolate Man" feels ??

Ignorance/naiivity rarely has racist undertones.

Since I've been living here now for a couple of years, I call myself a thairang - gets a good laugh, especially from the ladies although I don't think they actually know what I'm saying.

They never call me farang or falang, people call me Khun Henry, or Khun if they don't know my name.

And my family call me Khun henry, lung henry, or just Ta. And when people ask where I come from I simply answer Nonthaburi,55555

is 55555 your postcode? smile.png

5 in Thai language they pronounce HA

so 55555 is hahahahaha.

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but I still think it's a stretch to suggest that just because the mojority of posters talking about the term farang would be racists in their own country. I would suggest that people that tend to live in foreign countries are more likely to NOT be the sort of aresholes that use racist slurs in their home countries - stands to reason. Many of us, I would suggest, would be offended by the use of such slurs as the N word and (in the UK at least) the P word etc in our home countries - I know I have.

I am sorry you suffered these idiots, but it's just as racist to accuse all white people of being racist because of it - do you not see that?

No need for an apology, mate. It really wasn't that bad and it did give me an opportunity to help put some National Front skinheads into the ICU at St. Mary's Hospital. Yes . . . moronic sentiment now but, at the time . . .

Anyway I don't rcall saying that they themselves were actually dishing it out . . . . they just happened to be part of the majority and, as such, didn't have to deal with the negative aspects of discrimination or racism.

farang mean for me f... white trash!

and you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

If you think you are white trash, you are probably white trash.

If you are familiar with Thaind and are familiar with the routine use of "farang", to categorise any white Westener, then you you will neither be ofdfended nor consider yourself white trash.

Imagine how a "Chocolate Man" feels ??

Ignorance/naiivity rarely has racist undertones.

The term "Chocolate Man" as used by Thai girls, has me in fits of laughter. It's highly amusing, sweet and not racist at all.

if one is referred to as 'falang' in casual conversation amongst thais it's no reason to get excited...

A polite Thai always refers to a human being by using a suitable polite prefix. Kon, Khun, Nong, Pee, Lung etc.

When being rude a Thai will leave off the appropriate prefix.

Therefore 'farang' is an insult, as it never has the polite prefix.

Edited by ludditeman

The Thai people I know or family of the current woman in my life refer to me by name.

I see Farang as a gerneric term. For example someone might talk to my g/f and say something along the lines of, 'I see you have a Farang boyfriend.' How is that derogatory? To me it means having a foreigner as a boyfriend. If we are out together some women might also refer to me as Farang but they do not know my name, so they use the word they find most suitable. After all they cannot say things like who is your boyfriend / husband or whatever because they may not know what our relationship is.

Farang can be meant badly in terms of speech depending on the context. In the same way I might see some white guy out with an asian woman and ask who is that asian bird you are with. That is not derogatory either.

I think you have serious problems here, OP. You appear more like Victor Meldrew than Meldrew himself. You need to learn to chill out. Go smoke some dope or whatever smile.png

I agree. If it's said as an insult then yes it is otherwise it seems OK to me. I sometimes hear young children use it particularly if it's an area where whites aren't often seen. I did hear it in Pakse, Lao from 2 0r 3 young kids who seemed quite excited. I was a bit surprised as there are so many westerners there.

Very good explanation, Dingo, and much more magnanimous than I would be. This topic has been done to death and people still don't get it.

I think you may have a point here. Perhaps not an exact parallel, but I was told by a gay man once that the most homophobic people are generally those that harbor closet gay tendencies. Similarly, those that could find a racist angle for a term that is so completely innocuous may very well have been serial racist back in their homelands. And I do agree that this is a pointless thread....except to see a bunch of knuckleheads try to figure out new ways of singing an old tired song.

if one is referred to as 'falang' in casual conversation amongst thais it's no reason to get excited...

A polite Thai always refers to a human being by using a suitable polite prefix. Kon, Khun, Nong, Pee, Lung etc.

Sounds like your own personal spin on the matter. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Absolute rubbish..... A white westerner can be referred to as Khun Farang. The word farang in this instance is in effect the noun, not the prefix.... What you have said is bollicks. I've been called and heard others called Khun Farang when a Thai persons is over-doing the politness in attracting someones attention. However it is not necessary to use this in every day chatter between locals or locals to farang.... ohhh sorry I mean Khun Farang

• Like 1