Dripping Air Con

Lodestone

My air conditioner is dripping water and would like any quick/easy fixes for it. I rent and have building maintenance do most repairs as it's both their job and I'm too busy. However, they're not available much after Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday unless for real emergencies, so any ideas would be appreciated. See attached photo for details. Thanks.

post-52906-0-42748000-1330780368_thumb.j

Beachguy is right, there is a drip tray that collects condensation resulting from humidity in the air, some place in it there is a drain pipe that drains the condensation outside, that drain pipe is probably clogged,you need to blow the line out, you can try a wire , or if you have easy access to the drain hole place a small length of hose in it and blow, blowing in tyhe drain line from outside could work also

Edited by sirineou

Don't they do this when they are getting low on Freon gas? the pipes start to freeze then melt when its turned off, get someone to check the gas level first

Yes, but that's not the only reason, condensation is normal with high humidity, and the water needs to removed anyway.

Yep blocked drain line. They get a slimy algae in them that blocks them up and not really easy to get out, usually takes pressure as the blockage is usually a pretty thick build up over time can possibly snake something through Preferably a thin, stiff piece of electrical wire, depending on how long the drain line is?

Being a rental, I will guess that the owner is not spending the money to have the unit cleaned and checked each year. Maybe he never has had it done.

In Chiangmai, for 400-500 baht, 2 techs come to the house, bag the air conditioner in place, and pressure wash the entire inside unit, including the drain, without allowing water to splash anywhere in the room.

When there is a bathroom close by, they will run a hose from the tap. If there is no water source, they will bring a 25-50 gallon drum into the room for water.

As Warp Speed said, there is algea and mold build up that will plug the drain. But there is also algea, mold, and dust caked on the coils, also. When you use an air conditioner daily, like many/most do in Bangkok, it really pays to have them pressure washed once a year.

The air conditioner will cool better, use less electricity, and will even smell better.

We push our building owner to clean every 6 months here in Bangkok. It was actually his suggestion, but we still have to give him a little nudge to get it done. Even then I have to clear blockages every month or so. You can use the hosepipe concept but find the end of the draining pipe, attach the hose and suck like crazy (you might want to get somebody you don't like to do this). Once you feel something budging in the pipe then GET YOUR MOUTH AWAY. Repeat this until you don't feel any pressure in the line....then LISTERINE!

• Like 1

We push our building owner to clean every 6 months here in Bangkok. It was actually his suggestion, but we still have to give him a little nudge to get it done. Even then I have to clear blockages every month or so. You can use the hosepipe concept but find the end of the draining pipe, attach the hose and suck like crazy (you might want to get somebody you don't like to do this). Once you feel something budging in the pipe then GET YOUR MOUTH AWAY. Repeat this until you don't feel any pressure in the line....then LISTERINE!

Exactly my approach to numerous problems lol - I once have a blocked toilet and wanted to drain the excess water away prior to introducing some cleaning fluid. I have never moved my hand so fast as when I saw the "fluid" starting to hurtle down the clear hose I had bought for the purpose. End result as always, had to get a man in to fix it properly; 1000 baht to use that pressure gun thing. Felt good knowing at least I had tried to do it myself first though.