Taxi Drivers Who Winds Down Window Instead Of Opening The Door

forumuser10

I have also heard that according to Thai law, a taxi driver has to take every fare.

That is simply not true, and I get tired of the same old cliches trotted out time and again.

No taxi driver ANYWHERE in the world has to take any fare. They are independent businessmen - completely free to accept business or not. They are not slaves.

Edited by bendix

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Naam - it can close the door, not open it. A simple answer to the Honkies who just do not think their part of the deal is to close the door. .

Wrong. They also open the door automatically. I use HK taxis every single work day.

Well blow me down - 4 yrs I never noticed that. Mind you, if I was getting into a taxi it was usually either half cut walking up to one opening the door and jumping in before they knew what was happening. Stunned by this smile.png

Many a night I stumble down the escalators from Phoenix's Happy Hour, onto Caine Road and hail a cab heading towards . . ummm . . Lockhart Road. Each time the door is waiting open for you. Mind you, after three Phoenix Martinis, it needs to be

Ah - Lockhart Road - the bathroom fittings capital of the South China Seas. I know it well.

I went there with my daughter once, for lunch. We'd arrived early, so I thought we had just time for a beer, but the only pubs open at 11.30am were the ones that were still open, rather than open already.

I think we went to the Old China Hand, but luckily I didn't know anyone there.

I can't remember if we got there by tram or by MTR, but certainly not by taxi.

they open the doors for you on the train as well, by the way

SC

SC

I have also heard that according to Thai law, a taxi driver has to take every fare.

That is simply not true, and I get tired of the same old cliches trotted out time and again.

No taxi driver ANYWHERE in the world has to take any fare. They are independent businessmen - completely free to accept business or not. They are not slaves.

And so it should be. I mean if i were to drive a taxi i would not want to go straight in a heavy traffic area that would give me grief after i dropped my passenger. Id loose money.

And so it should be. I mean if i were to drive a taxi i would not want to go straight in a heavy traffic area that would give me grief after i dropped my passenger. Id loose money.

Well, the legislators choose to differ. In HK, and in Thailand, I understand that a taxi is obliged to take you to your destination if it is within his area of authorisation. The only exception, in HK, is taxis at certain designated ranks, who can decline fares that are not going across the harbour.

This rule allows people who work in congested areas to get taxis to work. The taxi is recompensed by acruing a time charge as well as a distance charge.

SC

I had a horrible farter the other day (a 1 in 20 bad experience who broke numerous red lights, regardless of my protests, in the end I pulled him over, got out and got in another taxi)

Did you encourage his bad behavior by paying the fare?

My experience with drivers who wind down the window is that there's a greater chance they won't take you, but it only happens in certain areas I find. I don't particularly take note of this so I can't remember specifics, but you won't often get cab drivers doing this out in the suburbs, neither will you get it from parked, stationary cabs. It'll normally be cars cruising past, and usually in busier areas.

It's also completely unprejudiced between farangs and Thais, both have an equal chance of getting the window-rolling treatment. Certainly it's not a precursor to a scam or whatever.

To lessen the chance of being refused the fare, you can just ignore the window rolling and hop in the back anyway, and then confidently (but politely) tell the driver your destination. Despite this giving you a greater chance of success, you may still end up having to get out again though anyway, so it may be easier just to play the window game.

I have a friend living on Soi Nana. It's almost impossible to get a taxi ride.

About 8 out of 10 will refuse the fare & keep trolling for a tourist to scam.

There is literally an army of unscrupulous people targeting first time visitors.

A shame.

I have a friend living on Soi Nana. It's almost impossible to get a taxi ride.

About 8 out of 10 will refuse the fare & keep trolling for a tourist to scam.

There is literally an army of unscrupulous people targeting first time visitors.

A shame.

That's in the middle of the most touristy area of Bangkok, pretty much, so if anywhere's going to have "off the meter" taxis, it's there.

Anyway, my point was that there's no direct link between window rolling and scams, or otherwise targeting tourists.

Edited by dantilley

I'm sure the OP didn't mean that he expects the taxi driver to open the door for him.

The taxi driver will open the window to hear where you want to go, before letting you in.

Normally, you can get in first and then tell him where you want to go, and 9 out of 10 times he will take you there.

But sometimes the taxi driver will be selective.

It happened to me last night 3 times at Sukhumvit 11.

But the concept of 'law' doesn't carry the same meaning in Thailand as it might somewhere else.

Having said that, can't blame the taxi driver for being selective: not wanting to go way the opposite direction,

when his shift is almost done.

On the other hand, it's money......

Come on Judge arminbkk you're supposed to do your deliberating in chambers....what's your decision? huh.png

They should take the fare wai.gif

Well, the legislators choose to differ. In HK, and in Thailand, I understand that a taxi is obliged to take you to your destination if it is within his area of authorisation. The only exception, in HK, is taxis at certain designated ranks, who can decline fares that are not going across the harbour.

This rule allows people who work in congested areas to get taxis to work. The taxi is recompensed by acruing a time charge as well as a distance charge.

SC

Land Traffic Act

Section 93 (1000B)

Driver of a taxi shall not refuse to accept employment to convey passengers, except when such conveyance is likely to cause danger to himself or the passengers.

In the event of the driver of a taxi does not wish to be employed to convey passengers, a placard shall be displayed.

The manner of the display and the characteristics of the said placard shall be in accordance with the law on automobiles.

And I said "I have also heard..........." passifier.gif

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

Land Traffic Act Section 93 (1000B) Driver of a taxi shall not refuse to accept employment to convey passengers, except when such conveyance is likely to cause danger to himself or the passengers. In the event of the driver of a taxi does not wish to be employed to convey passengers, a placard shall be displayed. The manner of the display and the characteristics of the said placard shall be in accordance with the law on automobiles. And I said "I have also heard..........." passifier.gif

Guess this is so they can legally refuse those carrying explosives....

I've been living in Bangkok 3 years now and this past week my friend has been visiting. While I was with her I was trying to get a cab from Chit Lom to either Kao San, RCA, or Tao Pun (where I live) and of these every single one that stopped was calling out "400 baht" "500 baht" to take me to these locations. I spoke to them in Thai and everything. I was so pissed but there were also Thai's trying to get a cab near us as well and the same thing was happening to them.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this reply. I mean seriously, what do you expect? The taxi drivers treated everybody equally. They have something that you want, but you are not willing to pay the going rate.

No taxi driver ANYWHERE in the world has to take any fare. They are independent businessmen - completely free to accept business or not.

Not everywhere in the world try Holland

The taxi service in Bangkok is a bargain & usually very good (if you have some time on the ground here and know what you are doing.)

I understand why a driver would want to turn down a fare. Sometimes they are near the end of a shift and only want a fare headed in their direction.

These drivers have appointments of their own to make.

It only happens to me occasionally but in the tourist areas, it's another story.

Full time scammers posing as taxi drivers....., they troll the Sois rolling down the window to interview potential victims. Looking for a first time visitor they can lie to, defraud, scam & cheat.

It is a serious issue for our novice visitors and makes a very bad impression.

• Like 1

A post containing quoted content from Bangkok Post and a link to a Bangkok Post article has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

I drive with my window down.

Is that bad?

SC

Only if you're topless and picking your nose. biggrin.png

I've always thought it pretty daft cruising topless with the windows up.

Let's face it, if I picked my nose I'd have a better one than this.

SC

Actually, quite a few countries require the taxi operator to take the fare and not everywhere are they independent businessmen.

NSW (Oz) law even levies a fine of over $1k for any taxi driver who refuses a passenger with a seeing-eye-dog, irrespective of if it is for religious reasons or others.

sometimes the traffic gets backed up so bad it takes 2+ hours to travel 5 km

now ,its possible hes already worked a 16-20hr day and if he takes you on that fare

it might take him 2-3 additional hours to get home and sleep

i hate rip off taxi drivers with a passion ,but there are some honest ones and i think

in those situations they should be allowed to refuse a fare

HOWEVER,dont confuse this with the other breed of taxi driver ,that hangs around outside MBK

on a saturday afternoon and refuses to use the meter to ratchada rd (normally 100thb or less )

and demands a price of 200-300-400 etc (they all work together and will stand chatting with their arms folded and united they can extort more money from people (esp ladies ) who bought stuff and need their help to bring it home

given the number of folks on this forum who advocate getting out and leaving the rear door open if the driver does not want to take them where they want to go, is it any wonder that many drivers decide not to let them into the care unless they plan to accept the fare?

The taxi service in Bangkok is a bargain & usually very good (if you have some time on the ground here and know what you are doing.)

I understand why a driver would want to turn down a fare. Sometimes they are near the end of a shift and only want a fare headed in their direction.

It only happens to me occasionally but in the tourist areas, it's another story.

Full time scammers posing as taxi drivers....., they troll the Sois rolling down the window to interview potential victims. Looking for a first time visitor they can lie to, defraud, scam & cheat.

I agree, but from another point of view, if I was a taxi driver in bangkok i would bet my esarn ass i would be selective about the people i will let into my car. When saying this i am aware i might be suggesting the OP has something about his appearance causing the taxi drivers to be alert and roll down the window, just to be on the safe side..

I agree, but from another point of view, if I was a taxi driver in bangkok i would bet my esarn ass i would be selective about the people i will let into my car. When saying this i am aware i might be suggesting the OP has something about his appearance causing the taxi drivers to be alert and roll down the window, just to be on the safe side..

Do you live in here in Bangkok, and you never had a taxi roll down the window, instead of letting you open the door?

I guess you must be very "hansum" indeed!