Wheres The Good Sushi

KRS1

My wife and I go about once a month to the oishi buffet at airport plaza on the 4th floor. Their buffet includes all you can eat salmon and another white fish sashimi. They charge 450B. I wish they also had smoked eel and tuna for that price but alas they don't.

Oishi doesn't cut it AFAIC. Fuji is much better, but priced accordingly. Haven't found a "great" place - isn't there a Japanese expat community in CM?

Had lunch (not for the first time) at Tomi Sushi yesterday on 1006 just over Super Highway in the new Fashion (Korea?) Mall. Def. my fav, the tuna was tender with no tough white lines and deep dark red. The young owner really tries and understands his product. I actually opened TV just now to post a recommendation of it and this thread was the top post. That must be karma for you, would like to hear your opinion if you go, keeping in mind we are not in Japan nor close to the ocean but we had quite a few dishes (sushi (traditional, rolls and hand rolls) tempura, miso soup etc., all real Japanese dishes) and and they were all good.

My wife and I go about once a month to the oishi buffet at airport plaza on the 4th floor. Their buffet includes all you can eat salmon and another white fish sashimi. They charge 450B. I wish they also had smoked eel and tuna for that price but alas they don't.

Oishi doesn't cut it AFAIC. Fuji is much better, but priced accordingly. Haven't found a "great" place - isn't there a Japanese expat community in CM?

Much of the Japanese expat community goes to Sakura behind the Amora Hotel as it is really cheap, but no atmosphere at all and only a few sushi/sashimi dishes. However, there are a number of sushi places that are good for the money and if you are willing to pay for better portions and quality, I'm sure that they can provide.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Naruto! Romping Mae chook. There is no better in cm and I have tried them all. Tsunamin.....ugh. Across from she'll station, just go look in the bathroom and see if you want to eat ther again! Suppose to be a great one across from the mandrian orient but, have yet to make that. Too bad no uni anywhere K

Have you tried Yamato on the Chiang Mai Lamphun road? There buffet is enjoyable, fresh items shared with few other dinners during the week for lunch - and this has been the case year after year.

Will have to give Naruto a try very soon, as I too have always been disappointed with Sushi outside of Japan or Coastal British Columbia Canada.

• 3 months later...

I have to totally agree with "junglechef" about this Tomi Sushi joint. A little diner in very quiet small strip mall on San Kham Pang road but looks can be very deceiving. This place don't look like much but the sushi is probably the best in town. Prices are extremely reasonable. I've been to many cheap sushi places in Chiang Mai but I didn't expect this place to be so surprisingly good.

post-131333-0-87871200-1340445798_thumb.

post-131333-0-92155600-1340445826_thumb.

post-131333-0-72705400-1340445844_thumb.

post-131333-0-98686300-1340445855_thumb.

post-131333-0-81507500-1340445877_thumb.

post-131333-0-35293600-1340446427_thumb.

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 1

The best place I've been too is the place a couple of doors up from Salsa Kitchen. Doesn't look fancy but the biggest portions I've seen.

Go up Huay Khaw(spelling) road. Its past central opposite the shell station.

The name is AI(ai) Shusi.

^ That would be Tsunami. I Googled it.

Tsunami Shusi is on Huay Kaew road, just a bit pass Rincome intersection (Chiang Mai Phucome hotel), it is on the right side when you go direction to Doi Suthep.

I don't eat raw fish except for salmon they taste nice raw. They have many great sushi menu that don't have raw fish in it.

I never understood why raw fish cost so much...lol

Neither can I.

It's highly unlikely anyone will ever suffer from a sushi-related illness, but if they do they won't forget it.

Not a sushi lover myself but I have heard the new River Market next to the iron bridge has a sushi menu. From the people I know that have ate there they said it was good. We took the grandson and nephew there fr the grandson's 19 birthday and the nephew had two servings of sushi the second one being shrimp and he loved both of them. One friend tells me they have a eel wrapped one that is very good.

To each there own. I am just telling you what I have heard and seen. I believe they have happy hour for sushi also.

They have quite a interesting sushi combination at the River market. I was there earlier than 11 and the staff couldn't be happier serving us although the sushi chef wasn't there Thai food was also excellent.

Not a sushi lover myself but I have heard the new River Market next to the iron bridge has a sushi menu. From the people I know that have ate there they said it was good. We took the grandson and nephew there fr the grandson's 19 birthday and the nephew had two servings of sushi the second one being shrimp and he loved both of them. One friend tells me they have a eel wrapped one that is very good.

To each there own. I am just telling you what I have heard and seen. I believe they have happy hour for sushi also.

Nice plug...............

Nice plug...............

Your more than welcome.

Nice plug...............

The sushi & sashimi at the River Market is a good recommendation for Chiang Mai though it falls short the original criteria of it being as good as the better places in Japan. Not very well suited to Cheap Charlies either (though that part would be as in Japan). But you do get a comfortable environment to eat in there and good quality food to boot.

Edited by OriginalPoster

• 7 months later...

I have to totally agree with "junglechef" about this Tomi Sushi joint. A little diner in very quiet small strip mall on San Kham Pang road but looks can be very deceiving. This place don't look like much but the sushi is probably the best in town. Prices are extremely reasonable. I've been to many cheap sushi places in Chiang Mai but I didn't expect this place to be so surprisingly good.

post-131333-0-87871200-1340445798_thumb.

post-131333-0-92155600-1340445826_thumb.

post-131333-0-72705400-1340445844_thumb.

post-131333-0-98686300-1340445855_thumb.

post-131333-0-81507500-1340445877_thumb.

post-131333-0-35293600-1340446427_thumb.

ah man that looks good, and im starving right now too.,
  • Like 1

There is a HUGE Japanese expat community in Chiang Mai, but they tend to stay within their own circles. Most (but not all) are families of Middle Management Japanese workers at the factories outside of town, and when the women go out during the day, it's usually as a group in the factory-provided van.

Much of the Japanese expat community goes to Sakura behind the Amora Hotel as it is really cheap, but no atmosphere at all and only a few sushi/sashimi dishes. However, there are a number of sushi places that are good for the money and if you are willing to pay for better portions and quality, I'm sure that they can provide.

I don't know if it's still open (haven't been there in a while myself) but the very best Japanese food we (my Japanese wife and I) found was in 'Akamon' inside Hillside Plaza 4. We used to eat there several times a month, and never saw any westerners OR Thais in there, only Japanese. It was never crowded, had delicious foods, and the sushi was served the way we get it in Japan. But you pay for all this. It's not cheap. But it's worth every penny to have 'real' Japanese foods served Japanese style.

There is a HUGE Japanese expat community in Chiang Mai, but they tend to stay within their own circles. Most (but not all) are families of Middle Management Japanese workers at the factories outside of town, and when the women go out during the day, it's usually as a group in the factory-provided van.

I don't know if it's still open (haven't been there in a while myself) but the very best Japanese food we (my Japanese wife and I) found was in 'Akamon' inside Hillside Plaza 4. We used to eat there several times a month, and never saw any westerners OR Thais in there, only Japanese. It was never crowded, had delicious foods, and the sushi was served the way we get it in Japan. But you pay for all this. It's not cheap. But it's worth every penny to have 'real' Japanese foods served Japanese style.

'I mean the good stuff with large pieces of sashimi and rice that is seasoned properly and big pieces japanese style.

'Most places give measely little pieces of fish and the rice is just plain....if youve ever been to japan you should understand what im talking about ~!'

I lived in Japan for twelve years and I don't understand what you are talking about. About the rice, yes, I do understand. But about the 'large pieces of sashimi and rice', I don't. The dish of raw fish and rice is called sushi, not sashimi. Sashimi is raw fish on its own. And about the 'large pieces' or 'big pieces', again I don't. Over-sized pieces of raw fish is something one finds often, too often, in America (and maybe elsewhere), but not in Japan. Almost everywhere I have had sashimi or sushi in Thailand, the proportions have been correct, more or less. But the freshness and quality . . . those are different stories.

Another problem, one that frustrates me incredibly at times, is that most of the time sushi here is served improperly, with no wasabi between the fish and the rice. Unbelievable.

Very recently, I discovered a Japanese restaurant here in Chiangmai that serves quite good sushi. It is called Takayama, and is on Soi 9 of Nimmanhaemin.

how expensive?

INMHO if Akamon was to your left, on the ground floor, its gone away.