Licence Required To Be Legal To Drive A Motor Bike?

nev

Now i have ridden motor bikes here on a International Licence and Also home country Drivers Licence which is a car licence.

What is the law here regarding a licence can i drive a scooter up to a certain cc on either of these licences.

Normally i used to rent scooters just by showing my passport not even showing a licence, but i have been put off by stories that if you have a accident your insurance company will not pay up.

Can you drive a scooter back home on a car license,I know I can't in the UK I have to have CBT,anything larger than 125 cc requires Direct Access,the likely hood is that if here on holiday with holiday insurance the first thing they will look for is something like this.

Edited by stoneyboy

Can you drive a scooter back home on a car license,I know I can't in the UK I have to have CBT,anything larger than 125 cc requires Direct Access,the likely hood is that if here on holiday with holiday insurance the first thing they will look for is something like this.

Yes that is what i understand, and i have heard in australia of the insurance company not paying up hence my question.

I am planning on getting my Thai Drivers LIcence before i drive here again,unless on a car licence i can drive a scotter under a certain cc.

Many falang come here and do not have the right licence, and i am sure if they have a very serious accident, they will be paying out of there own pockets.

if youre here on hoiliday and you have a crash on a rented bike ,theres a very good chance youl end u paying anyway

every day of the week you hear stories of farangs geting blamed for crashing into thais when its often the other way around

even if the thai is 100% definatey at fault ,the police can decide it was 50/50 with the tourist confusion was a factor in the accident

Part 1

Firstly I do not believe there is an "International" license unless you got it on Khao San road!

The is an international driving permit which is simply an translation document for your original country of residence license.

To be legal here you'll need a motorbike license, unless your home country allows a car drive to ride allow capacity motorbike. I.e. The UK used to or maybe still does allow car license holders to ride a moped under 50cc.

Part2

YOU pay. If you were not in Thailand the accident would never have happened!