Filipino Gang Caught In Bangkok Trying To Steal 20-Karat Diamond

webfact

Something isn't right.

Firstly, it's highly unlikely a store in Paragon would have a 20ct diamond on display, let alone let Customers view it in the store...if they even owned such a stone.

As far as price, even a 5ct round VS1 clarity and I (included) color would be $30,500 at wholesale PER CARAT, and that's a fairly average diamond.

And at 20ct's, it would be an extremely rare gem and exceedingly more expensive that "2million baht".

not necessarily. you can buy diamonds with a decent cut generating a nice sparkle for as low as 600 US-Dollars per carat for a one-carat stone, going up to ~1,000 Dollars for much bigger stones.

Naam, depends what you mean by "decent", but a diamond in the $600 range would be a low quality gem. Not saying you can't get an "enhanced" diamond in that range, but with diamonds, because they are graded and treatments generally disclosed, there are not of bargains in diamonds - you get what you pay for.

If you want a quick test, go to Ebay and type "1ct diamond" in the Loose Diamonds and Gemstones section purely as an indication of pricing.

read again please. i said "decent cut". of course it's a low quality gem. the reason i mentioned it was to point out that generalising by mentioning price per carat does not present a correct picture. one just has to compare the recent auction of a huge yellow diamond which fetched a price per carat of 100,000 US-Dollars beating hands down the carat price of a one carat stone which has top ratings of all the "Cs".

Like the animal farm story of 300-400 animals translated as 300400 animals, I think maybe a decimal point was omitted; 2.0 carats.

I also think that's likely, but given the combination of extreme wealth and extreme stupidity that I often see combined here (rewards in life being much more based on family connections than earned merit), I would also not be surprised if the story were true.

As for the statement that "there are no such huge diamonds here in Thailand", I know for a fact that's BS. The most important family here could easily have many many of such squirreled away, even sitting in the desk drawer.

Something isn't right.

Firstly, it's highly unlikely a store in Paragon would have a 20ct diamond on display, let alone let Customers view it in the store...if they even owned such a stone.

As far as price, even a 5ct round VS1 clarity and I (included) color would be $30,500 at wholesale PER CARAT, and that's a fairly average diamond.

And at 20ct's, it would be an extremely rare gem and exceedingly more expensive that "2million baht".

not necessarily. you can buy diamonds with a decent cut generating a nice sparkle for as low as 600 US-Dollars per carat for a one-carat stone, going up to ~1,000 Dollars for much bigger stones.

Naam, depends what you mean by "decent", but a diamond in the $600 range would be a low quality gem. Not saying you can't get an "enhanced" diamond in that range, but with diamonds, because they are graded and treatments generally disclosed, there are not of bargains in diamonds - you get what you pay for.

If you want a quick test, go to Ebay and type "1ct diamond" in the Loose Diamonds and Gemstones section purely as an indication of pricing.

read again please. i said "decent cut". of course it's a low quality gem. the reason i mentioned it was to point out that generalising by mentioning price per carat does not present a correct picture. one just has to compare the recent auction of a huge yellow diamond which fetched a price per carat of 100,000 US-Dollars beating hands down the carat price of a one carat stone which has top ratings of all the "Cs".

Please read again. I said, it really depends what you consider "decent". I would never consider a $600 diamond because I know it's at the lowest end of the diamond scale and not in any way "decent" and worth nothing except the face on your girl who has been brainwashed by De Beers when you give it to her.

No argument on the 4 C's in valuing a diamond. That's a given.