"why Do Farang Only Marry The Ugly Leftovers?"

Stephen Cleary

After more than a decade here in 'The Land of Buffaloes & Benzs', i gotta admit that i have got rather bored with Thais asking:

"How come Farangs like all the ugliest and worse women Thailand has to offer?"

Like it or not, us Farangs are stereotyped as having the worst taste in Thai women. Just mention the likes of "I know this Farang down the street and his dark-skinned ugly wife,.....well she is just so...." and you'll soon have your Thai friends in hysterics.

Farangs and their choice of wife is a cheap joke within Thai society. Perhaps your Thai isn't good enough to read newspaper or magazine reports or watch TV to realize just how much of a joke Thais have at the expense of the Farang.

It gets even worse when Thais brought up abroad also get into this cheap joke.

Just a few days back a Thai buddie of mine here in Suphan put this to me:

"I feel it sad that Farangs only get the leftovers"

In the eyes of Thai society, he dared to say exactly what most Thai folks feel about Farangs.

ie. The only reason that....say dark-skinned Isarn girls with perhaps a couple of kids already like Farangs, is because, they can't find a new Thai partner.

In regards to a thread posted earlier, i hate to say it but no: "Thais think Farangs only get it on with 'ugly' Thai girls.

>This post does not reflect my opinion, it is the opinion of Thais in general.

Edited by stevesuphan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do find the subjective judgements made on posts like this quite offensive! What is ugly, what is beautiful, particularly in people is an impossible one to agree on or understand.

I hope whatever partner you have in life makes you feel beautiful and you make them feel beautiful too!

Be happy

[quote=suegha,20

Sorry seugha you didn't get it.

I didnt go into any definitions of the word beautiful or ugly. I stated the stereotype of the farang guy here in Thailand.

BTW: i can only feel, that if i transed to Thai some of the comments floating around these forums, perhaps most Thai guy readers would also reply, "I find some of these posts quite offensive"

Edited by stevesuphan

I do find the subjective judgements made on posts like this quite offensive!  What is ugly, what is beautiful, particularly in people is an impossible one to agree on or understand.

I hope whatever partner you have in life makes you feel beautiful and you make them feel beautiful too!

Be happy

Does it not start from the source? Ugly farangs who could not find anyone in their world. Then it goes on, who can they attract? Then they go to Thai, Philipines...

After more than a decade here in 'The Land of Buffaloes & Benzs', i gotta admit that i have got rather bored with Thais asking:

I take it you do not have a Thai wife or girlfriend, stevesuphan? :o

If you have, dump your Thai friends. :D

I take it you do not have a Thai wife or girlfriend, stevesuphan? :D

silence on the board please... Im waiting for the sound of a penny to drop!

:o

TROLL material but for arguement sake...

Everyone has different tastes, what is ugly to some is beautiful to others. So many farang can say Thai(s) have our left overs, and we laff at them. Seriously you need new mates... the ones you have now don't have a clue.

Edited by britmaveric

I take it you do not have a Thai wife or girlfriend, stevesuphan? :o

Spot on :D I could'nt give a toss what anybody thinks in regards to my wife.

I take it you do not have a Thai wife or girlfriend, stevesuphan? :D

silence on the board please... Im waiting for the sound of a penny to drop!

CLONCK!

:D

Geez, what kind of place is this?

Within the space of ten minutes i get regulars assuming i don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend in a derogatory manner and others advising me to dump my Thai friends?!

In fact, i originally came here as a student, and i am still here now. I have a Thai wife yes, and a lotta Thai as well as Farang friends.

I already stated in the thread starter that:

I thought the frarang had a better looking wife than the ave. thai male, unless they were excessivly rich. Granted 75.5 frarang wifes are bar girls (estimate, no facts to back it up), but what the hay. The poor villages send there best lookers to the sex industry. Not necessarily the best, but lookers for sure. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. One of my best freinds has a very ugly wife, but is honest and has a heart of gold, and they honestly love each other. Not a gold digger. Ugly people need love too you know. :o

oK i am not gonna say if I agree or desagree

However one of my male thai friends told me once that thai girls do not understant why we farang girls like those thai boys with dreadlogs (bob marley hair style), brown skin, working in bars... :o

Within the space of ten minutes i get regulars assuming i don't have a Thai wife or girlfriend in a derogatory manner and others advising me to dump my Thai friends?!

In fact, i originally came here as a student, and i am still here now. I have a Thai wife yes, and a lotta Thai as well as Farang friends.

I understand what you are trying to say and some of the other tv members are trying to sound righteous and/or politically correct. I had a thai say that to me once about my thai gf/now fiance because her skin is a little darker than the southern girls per say. My fiance says she think my skin nice because it is lighter. I tell her it is biology and I tell her my country fought a war over this issue over abou 150 years ago and about 650,000 lives. I don't care what stupid ignorant people have to say...because I love her for who she is...dark skin and all. Just love your woman and either bonk or ignore the idiots of the world.

Generalizing is dangerous I've heard the direct opposite - many thai men are jealous and farang is lucky man.

When I was working for a Thai company in Bangkok I used to go out with the Thai engineers every couple of weeks. We would go to upscale Thai places because they would not be caught dead in farang ghetto joints. :D

The ALWAYS politely asked me why I chose ugly girls. I prefer petite dark skinned girls. They think any woman with white skin and tall is beautiful whether they are ugly or not and I thought that some that they raved about WERE quite ugly. Maybe that's why the Thai men don't get too upset about us marrying their Thai women. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. :o

Like all generalizations, it is based to some extent on truth.

But then what is truth when it comes to looks?

Here's a story that illustrates the problem.

My sister and two friends came over to visit me in Rome from New York, she's been living there almost all her life, I left a long time ago.

Anyhow, we were discussing TV programs and my favourite US TV Program came up. "CSI Miami" - Everyone was taking the p1ss out of me for liking the program.

After laughing about 'nobody holds a flash light that way' - I eventually said, in a hope of adding some serious critical notes to the conversation, "well at least its the one US TV Program that has an ugly guy in the lead role" (The guy who plays Horatio has serious ginger tendencis ... U.G.L.Y.

My sister and her friends could not believe what I had said - The guy who plays Horatio is aparently a perfect fit for the US sense of good looks.

So it isn't a family thing - you like people who look like your family, but it is a culture thing.

I do think that many (by no means all) foreigners sell themselves short on the Thai woman front, but that more to do with background, education etc and that is a whole new topic.... which usually degenerates into abuse.

Mrs GH, I might add is stunningly beautiful. :o

Like it or not, us Farangs are stereotyped as having the worst taste in Thai women. "

B]A total generalisation,but I'm sure that the majority of attractive dark skinned women who are married to farangs with 1.5 kids are there because they separated from their Thai husband because he was unable to provide them with security and act like a man. Take a look at any suppertime Thai soap opera and see how Thai men behave. It's not surprising is it?

Just mention the likes of "I know this Farang down the street and his dark-skinned ugly wife,.....well she is just so...." and you'll soon have your Thai friends in hysterics.
BTakes all kinds! I also don't associate with this kind of Thai.

After all, lot of Thais are as phony as the products in their stores!

Farangs and their choice of wife is a cheap joke within Thai society.

Who wants to be married to some spoiled,screeching bimbo who has always had everything done for her and has no values except for what she can buy with daddy's money at the Emporium? One who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

BTW, Thai society? Do you mean the shopping crowd of western wannabees who have no Thai values but have drawn all their values from the worst that the west has to offer? Or do you mean the majority of the wonderful "dark skinned "Thai people who are IMHO the true backbone and asset of this country?

Perhaps your Thai isn't good enough to read newspaper or magazine reports or watch TV to realize just how much of a joke Thais have at the expense of the Farang.

It gets even worse when Thais brought up abroad also get into this cheap joke.

Just a few days back a Thai buddie of mine here in Suphan put this to me:

"I feel it sad that Farangs only get the leftovers"

In the eyes of Thai society, he dared to say exactly what most Thai folks feel about Farangs.

ie. The only reason that....say dark-skinned Isarn girls with perhaps a couple of kids already like Farangs, is because, they can't find a new Thai partner.

As I said above, after being treated like shit by some Thai bonehead,why would any self respecting woman from Isan or wherever, want to start another relationship with a Thai man when she can have a better, secure and possibly more loving relationship with a farang?

In regards to a thread posted earlier, I hate to say it but no: "Thais think Farangs only get it on with 'ugly' Thai girls.

Some of the Thai women on TV soaps are not exactly beautiful either?

Depends on one's definition of "Ugly". Take a look at some of the so-called beauties at Emporium, Robinsons,The Mall,etc or even the 'Pretties" hired by promotion companies to sell cars,computers and beer".

A bunch of white skinned, vacuous airheads that can barely speak English (not that this is particularly important anyway. Not very much desired by farangs from my experience. However many would love to have a relationship with a farang but lack the ability and opportunity to communicate or are discouraged by their family due to the social pressures you mention.

This post does not reflect my opinion, it is the opinion of Thais in general.

An interesting subject,maybe many will disagree with my comments?

Never seen handsome Farangs in Thailand.

Then, they are match.

Many farangs in Thailand want girls just for the basic human needs but Thai man needs stutus also bcoz we are in the same culture and lots of people around us.

In my culture we are not select girl just a woman who only has chromosome XX but we look at family, education,brain, etc. That's why lots of farangs can't get in touch with prettysmart Thai girls.

Throughout Asia the preference appears to be adopted from the Chinese (no idea why - just seems that way) - that they don't like brown skin.

It is simply a snobbish and elitist viewpoint that they have carried down the centuries like so many of the other bits of useless baggage including folklore and superstition.

When I decided to marry my wife, it was completely irrelevant to me what colour her skin was - the fact is that she is of Chinese background and has fair skin, but that is no-ones business but hers or mine - it is, however a fact, in exactly the same way as it would be if it were brown or black or even purple for that matter.

No-one has the right to say that anyone is ugly to any third party, as ones response to perceived beauty is a totally personal chemical reaction.

Many people I know overseas wouldn't even think of marrying an Asian, and yet in my one-eyed way, I wouldn't consider a farang a suitable choice (I think Bambina is terribly cute - and very smart too.... :o )

I do tend to agree that the OP needs to think carefully about WHY his friends are saying this to him.

If I were in his position I think I would be extremely offended.

...don't forget that Thais often say things in a very roundabout fashion, aiming remarks at anyone BUT the one they are meant for, and then expecting the real target to figure out what they really mean for themselves...by saying this about the OPs farang compatriots, are they really trying to say something to the OP?

I would be thinking about who my real friends are....

Then, they are match.

Many farangs in Thailand want girls just for the basic human needs but Thai man needs stutus also bcoz we are in the same culture and lots of people around us.

In my culture we are not select girl just a woman who only has chromosome XX but we look at family, education,brain, etc. That's why lots of farangs can't get in touch with prettysmart Thai girls.

Then, they are match.

Absolute crap

To be fair to the OP, I've kinda wondered about this.

Its not necessarily about light skinned vs dark skinned. And if you love your wife/GF so be it.

But, you can't deny that, having proportedly escaped the mingers/trolls of <insert your home country here>, you'll see an overly large number of blokes walking around the streets of LOS with a girl who looks like she has seen the wrong end of a 2x4.

i was just going to say most of the farang men here marrying these girls aren't great lookers themselves. if they are happy, that's all that really matters isn't it? looks are a pretty shallow topic.