International Driving Permit Valid Only 3 Months A Year?

falang07

Hello,

I was told that the International Driving Permit (IDP) is supposed to be valid only for the first 3 months after the entry to Thailand, and upon re-entry it is no longer valid, is this true? I suppose since it has a validity of 1 year, when I re-enter Thailand on tourist visa, I get again 3 months, until the exspiration date. Please advise.

Thanks.

I have always assumed the same as you, at each entry I have been entitled to 3 months validity.

When stopped by the BIB they have only been interested in the license and not my passport to verify my date of entry.

Edited by PattayaParent

My IDP has a validity of 1 year from the date of issue, also searched on curiosity of your thread - it says on a site that you can get

also a 2yr and 3yr validity IDP.

(you can not pre-date your IDP, 6 month in advance when issuing)

I have so far acquired 3 times for the IDP from AAA (USA) 1 yr. validity and going for another renewal this month but I never was told that it was good for 3 month once you enter a country. I'll have to take note and ask this question at the AAA office upon renewal. thanks for the heads up.

My IDP has a validity of 1 year from the date of issue, also searched on curiosity of your thread - it says on a site that you can get

also a 2yr and 3yr validity IDP.

(you can not pre-date your IDP, 6 month in advance when issuing)

I have so far acquired 3 times for the IDP from AAA (USA) 1 yr. validity and going for another renewal this month but I never was told that it was good for 3 month once you enter a country. I'll have to take note and ask this question at the AAA office upon renewal. thanks for the heads up.

They might not know, it depends on the country you are travelling TO, not the country the IDP was obtained IN.

This IDP thingy is being kicked about a bit on the motor forum, the confusion caused I believe is because Thailand isn't fully signed up to the IDP.

You can drive here on Full driving licenses from the UK or US and other countries if your license is a photo license type and it is in English up to 90 days from your first entry within the year, then you need to get a Thai license from one of the DLT offices to be able to legally drive.

The IDP refers to ratified countries.

The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic has been ratified by 70 countries. Examples of countries that have not ratified the Convention include Chile, Ireland, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Israel, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, the Holy See, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Spain, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela.

The confusion comes when people have a full license from another country that is not written in English or no photo and it all being in their own language, it will be needed to be translated into English, because even if you get a IDP it does not have a translation of the Thai language.

If you need to drive for more than 90days in Thailand go get a Thai license it is easily done and made easier if you take a Thai companion.

• Like 1

If you have an IDP from any country is is valid in any country for 1 year. This has NOTHING to do with entering thailand or leaving. You don't have to show that to anyone. They don't care what kind of license you have they care only about passports.

This IDP thingy is being kicked about a bit on the motor forum, the confusion caused I believe is because Thailand isn't fully signed up to the IDP.

You can drive here on Full driving licenses from the UK or US and other countries if your license is a photo license type and it is in English up to 90 days from your first entry within the year, then you need to get a Thai license from one of the DLT offices to be able to legally drive.

The IDP refers to ratified countries.

The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic has been ratified by 70 countries. Examples of countries that have not ratified the Convention include Chile, Ireland, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Israel, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, the Holy See, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Spain, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela.

The confusion comes when people have a full license from another country that is not written in English or no photo and it all being in their own language, it will be needed to be translated into English, because even if you get a IDP it does not have a translation of the Thai language.

If you need to drive for more than 90days in Thailand go get a Thai license it is easily done and made easier if you take a Thai companion.

You need to learn to understand what you read in Wiki a bit better. They have not ratified the 1968 convention but the 1926 and 1949 IDP Conventions ARE ratified by UK and Thailand (which is why they issue them and require their use)

Where do I need an IDP http://www.rac.co.uk...-i-need-an-idp/

Edited by PattayaParent

If you have an IDP from any country is is valid in any country for 1 year. This has NOTHING to do with entering thailand or leaving. You don't have to show that to anyone. They don't care what kind of license you have they care only about passports.

Not in Thailand it's not.

"A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence"

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=4

It's the small print in your insurance that you have to check. That might require a Thai DL after a certain length of time.

I think this is the important part, not the not having of a valid license because we all know you pay the cops a bit and they let you go.

Problems arise when you get involved in an accident and your insurance company tries to get out of paying and that is a much bigger problem.

Is there an official document stating that I might have a problem if I would get involved in an accident with the IDP? I did not find anything on this on Internet but me friend keeps convincing me that I need a Thai driving license which is officially not possible on a tourist visa.

Is there an official document stating that I might have a problem if I would get involved in an accident with the IDP? I did not find anything on this on Internet but me friend keeps convincing me that I need a Thai driving license which is officially not possible on a tourist visa.

An IDP is recognised as a legal license so you should not have a problem with the insurance company.

When they issue a policy they ask for a copy of your driving license, what did you give them a copy of?

If in doubt write to the insurance company and ask, and get a written response.

If I rent a car, I always give them my IDP and no one says anything. But this "3 month a year" thing is making me a little nervous since I visit Thailand at least 2 times a year and that would mean from the second visit I would not be covered in case of an accident. The insurance companies tells the fine print things only if they are to pay.

If I rent a car, I always give them my IDP and no one says anything. But this "3 month a year" thing is making me a little nervous since I visit Thailand at least 2 times a year and that would mean from the second visit I would not be covered in case of an accident. The insurance companies tells the fine print things only if they are to pay.

Well as the law appears to have been changed to 6 months you should have no problem and if you are renting you should ask the rental company for a copy of the insurance and clarify the validity of the IDP with them.

rolleyes.gif" I rent a car, no one says anything " In Thailand many people know you can hire vehicles here with just a passport, and that's just dandy until the proverberal hit-the-fan.gif .

" But this "3 month a year " ( 90 days from your first entry ) I would say you need to be nervous in the understanding of what some people think Thai law is, most times after all, the answer is " this is Thailand ". smile.png

" The insurance companies " It can get confusing for many who just visit, the problem as I see it is, you don't know what is really what or law for that matter, until something unfortunate like an accident happens, so check with the insurance details.

Be careful of reading old info and taking notice of what's on a 2008 document.

Here some previous quotes on info :-

from " katabeachbum " a Highway police volunteer, now you would think he would be a pretty good source.

There is no law requiring uk lisence to be backed by IDP in LOS. uk lisence is good as long as you are not here for more than 90 days.

After 90 days a thai lisence is required to drive legally.

A part Quote

from " ScubaBuddha " a one time US cop.

This is Thailand and every province, cop, insurance carrier, and day of the week is different from the next.

Whoever wrote that line, "An international driver's license is accepted in Thailand. A foreign license holds no weight here." probably didn't understand that they were contradicting themselves.

What most people don't realize, and what the illegitimate IDP touts don't want you to know is that because our UK, American, Canadian, Austrailian etc, etc drivers license's are already in English and contain a photo, they are already considered international drivers licenses i.e. no IDP is needed in most cases.

That is why the cops always accept them with no IDP. And this is what is meant by "International Drivers Licenses are accepted."

This makes sense because if your DL is already in English and already has a photo of you, why on earth would you need a translation document (the IDP) translating into 10 languages, non of which are Thai?

Edited by Kwasaki

OK, but I still do not know the answer to my question -- can I use IDP for one year in Thailand, or just 6 months a year, or just 3 months a year (to be covered in case of an accident—I know the cops do not care otherwise)? Perhaps the only way to find out is to ask the insurance company or read the insurance agreement (in case it is in English)...

Are you sure it is "officially not possible"?

I got mine on a Visa Waiver stamp (or whatever it is called) and as long as I had the rest of the documents they needed they did not seem to care what visa, if any, I had. I understand every driving centre can be different but I suggest you ring up and ask and you may find, as I did, that it is non issue.

So what’s the deal with people not wanting to get a Thai license anyway?

The OP wants to get a Thai license but they will not issue one if you are on a tourist visa.

The time restriction is based on your entry date (same as 90 day reporting), so if you leave and return your 6 months starts again.

If you still have any concerns then rent the second car from a different company and make sure they have a diffeent insurance provider.

Talking of cops that should know what they are talking about I was stopped by a Thai cop and asked for my license but as my Thai license had expired I showed him my UK license and he didn't want to know. Showed him my IDP and he was happy as Larry (whoever he is) and waved me on my way.

So if you want to be sure you have no problems and don't want to be arguing what the Thai law says or doesn't say down in the local cop shop better get an IDP.

Edited by PattayaParent

The time restriction is based on your entry date (same as 90 day reporting), so if you leave and return your 6 months starts again.

This is exactly the issue why I started this thread, my friend keeps telling me that if I leave and return, my 6 months do NOT start again... But I keep arguing that it would not make any sense, but what does in Thailand after all :)

Since officially they do not hand them out for tourist visa holders. Or do you think they need tourists visiting the national parks for the Thai price?

if you have a 'tourist visa ' rather than an entry stamp you CAN get a Thai license in most DLTs.

Since officially they do not hand them out for tourist visa holders. Or do you think they need tourists visiting the national parks for the Thai price?

if you have a 'tourist visa ' rather than an entry stamp you CAN get a Thai license in most DLTs.

To apply for a Thai Driving Licence it is necessary to provide the following:-

Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. Please note it is not possible to obtain a Thai Driving Licence with a Tourist Visa

http://www.thaiconsu...nload.aspx?id=4

Which is exactly what the DLT in Pattaya told me when I tried to renew my license on a tourist visa.

Edited by PattayaParent

one year licences are available on a tourist visa. 5 year licences are not.

one year licences are available on a tourist visa. 5 year licences are not.

The Royal Thai Consulate General in Chicago disagrees

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/clate/driving.html

as does the NZ Embassy Bangkok

http://www.nzembassy.com/thailand/nzers-overseas/living-in-thailand/requirements-for-obtaining-a-thai-drivers-licence

And the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=4

and a couple of other places for good measure.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

http://www.thai-blogs.com/2010/11/17/how-to-get-a-thai-driving-license/