UK pensions

9 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

@mummysboy

you seem to be seeking attention, living up to your moniker no doubt.

Do you have a question about UK pensions which hasn't yet been answered?

If you spend your working life inThailand as an unqualified "teacher" of English, or even as a qualified teacher, your UK pension will be zilch.

Anything else?

Don't shoot the messenger, please BUT.... 

I know nothing about you or @mommysboy  but it is possible that he could be working in Thailand and paying voluntary contributions to the UK to retain his pension rights. As I said, I don't know, nor does it affect me in any way, but I did that in the nineties when I worked in Saudi.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

If you pay full contributions to the UK govt pension scheme,  you will get full govt pension - a pittance. 

This pittance will undoubtedly be reduced over the coming years for reasons that I have already alluded to.

You are benefitting from the boomer demographic.

So at least one other person shares my concerns. 

Thank you.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I don't share your concerns. I am giving you my informed opinion.

As I told you earlier,  UK govt pensions are paid out of current worker contributions. This is a fact, not an opinion.

It's not actuarially sustainable for very obvious reasons.

You really come over as extremely overbearing and it undermines the cogency of your advice. 

Look, here's a conundrum for the modern era.

Nigel Farage and other MEPs will receive an EU pension of 70,000 or 90,000 per year. Is that a pittance? Is it index-linked? Is it justified or fair or moral? (Let's not forget - we are paying, and will be paying for it.)

If you wanted to voice protest about this, how would you do it? Vote leave? Vote stay? Indulge in self-harm?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, nong38 said:

Property is property is just cheaper in some places than others, the question then is can you live somewhere else like Cornwall in the winter, its different to the summer, its cold and its damp, that is your choice. Life is about choices just make sure you make them work for you.

There's nothing in Cornwall below 200k these days.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It was in an article I read some time ago in the Guardian I think. But picking on one example is annoyingly silly really: The fact is house prices have risen dramatically whereas salaries haven't.  

Thank you mass immigration , by the way as i have said on here many times ,i believe we will get yearly pension rises when the first squadren of pink pigs do a  fly past .

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mommysboy said:

It was in an article I read some time ago in the Guardian I think. But picking on one example is annoyingly silly really: The fact is house prices have risen dramatically whereas salaries haven't.  

By adding a statement meant to make out that young ones today have it harder than the young of the 60s by saying something that is not actually true is deceitful to say the least. I think by stating that doctors can't afford houses "is silly", "I read it in the guardian I think" does nothing to aid your credibility on the subject.

Edited by vogie
4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There's nothing in Cornwall below 200k these days.

Sorry, I don't believe you at all.

This took me about 3 minutes on Google.

Look at any of those 3 and there are many more and key in the max price you want to pay and go from there.

Try looking at Right Move here.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^61294&maxBedrooms=2&minBedrooms=2&maxPrice=175000&propertyTypes=detached%2Csemi-detached%2Cterraced&primaryDisplayPropertyType=houses

On the market here.

https://www.onthemarket.com/for-sale/property/cornwall/?max-price=170000

Zoopla here

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/cornwall/?price_max=170000&q=Cornwall&radius=0&results_sort=newest_listings&search_source=refine

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

76k for 40% ownership, works out at around 200k (190k), and another for 175k,  that's what I call nitpicking.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

76k for 40% ownership, works out at around 200k (190k), and another for 175k,  that's what I call nitpicking.

You are the one nitpicking. I answered your post and pointed out that you were incorrect and then you come back with nitpicking.

Did you even look at those threads and put your max prices in?

Rightmove has places at 100,000 and lower, as does Onthemarket  and Zoopla.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, VBF said:

Don't shoot the messenger, please BUT.... 

I know nothing about you or @mommysboy  but it is possible that he could be working in Thailand and paying voluntary contributions to the UK to retain his pension rights. As I said, I don't know, nor does it affect me in any way, but I did that in the nineties when I worked in Saudi.

Spot on.  So, are you in anyway fearful that we won't get what is due?

55 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Its debatable whether, percentage wise, the younger generation will pay less tax but they WILL get working tax credits, child tax credits, council tax rebates and rent rebates to name just a few.

My income was reduced when the interest on my savings all but disappeared to subsidise the younger generation with low mortgage interest, giving them more disposable income at the same time.

Even though I paid into the system for the whole of my working life and never claimed a single penny in benefits, because live abroad my pension is frozen and I get none of the benefits a UK based pensioner enjoys but, like almost all pensioners with more than one pension, I still have to pay income tax to the UK Government at the same rate you do, and will probably have to til the day I die.

And as for the NHS (WHICH IS GETTING MORE COMPREHENSIVE EVERY DAY, NOT LESS), when I come back to the UK it's not free for me. Because I live abroad, not only must I pay the full cost of treatment, I am fined a 50%surcharge on top. What am I still paying income tax for.............It must be to subsidise your little extras!! 

It's time a lot of these  your false narratives were laid to rest.

Best dropping this, as we've been adjudged to be off topic.

So what about the viability of the pension for us 50 somethings; your thoughts?

Edited by mommysboy

With regard to Pension contribution (National Insurance), the number of claimants is set to increase dramatically, whereas the number of taxpayers-by definition younger people- is declining.  So, I would say those tax payers are in line to pay a good deal more contributions in the future. And this is already happening- in the last few years the number of qualifying years for the full pension has increased, and the qualifying age also.  I think this narrative is largely watertight.  This is the posting I wish I had made a few days ago, and is an example of what I meant when I said youngsters will have to pay more tax.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, nong38 said:

The gvt is constantly hanging the goalposts, I paid NI 45 years, then qualifying came down to 30  then up to 35, in real terms wo is paying more? There will be less tax payers in the future to fund the system, someone is either going to have to pay more or someone is going to miss out, like New Zealand.

Everyone should take care of themselves and not rely on the state, unfortunately there are a lot who live for today and expect someone else to bail them out later in life, its a big gamble but some seem used to claiming everything thing they can from the state and that is what is bankrupting society. I like others here never clamed anything, others seem to milk the system, they are not stopped and therein lies the problem.

'Everyone should take care of themselves and not rely on the state.'

Not much point in paying taxes then! 

Good posting in the main though.