UK pensions

My state pension came through today.

The Kbank Forex rate this morning was 45.0344 and my pension exchange rate was 47.467 calculated on how many GBP I transfer and the actual amount of cash arriving in the bank.

I am about 3,000 baht down on last month. Not so good but not as bad as I thought it would be.

The Kbank Forex rate this morning was 45.0344 and my pension exchange rate was 47.467 calculated on how many GBP I transfer and the actual amount of cash arriving in the bank.

I am about 3,000 baht down on last month. Not so good but not as bad as I thought it would be.

You did better than me Bill, when I got mine last week it was just under 4K down.

You did better than me Bill, when I got mine last week it was just under 4K down.

A small price to pay for freedom from the Federal EU.

Fingers crossed for a better rate next month

• Like 1

£ moving north now, so long may it continue albeit slowly.

I also a good few of the scaremongering firms have now come back onside and are backing the UK, Siemens today said that they will continue to manufacture in the UK as it great place to do business and after 170 years they should know, they should have known better before!

• Like 2

£ moving north now, so long may it continue albeit slowly.

I also a good few of the scaremongering firms have now come back onside and are backing the UK, Siemens today said that they will continue to manufacture in the UK as it great place to do business and after 170 years they should know, they should have known better before!

Carney makes a speech on Thursday and we all now what happens when he opens his mouth. sad.png

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 2

My pension arrived midday today.. 46.01 so lost over 3,500 baht since April's payment.. lowest its been since April.

wish could roll back to when I moved here 13 years ago anything between 72 - 76 baht to a £

Edited by ignis

My pension arrived midday today.. 46.01 so lost over 3,500 baht since April's payment.. lowest its been since April.

wish could roll back to when I moved here 13 years ago anything between 72 - 76 baht to a £

I would agree with you but most countries now view a low exchange rate as beneficial to their own economy as it makes exports and services more attractive. Thailand on the other hand seems to think that a high exchange rate is something to be treasured, with the high number of Thai exports you might think it would be good for them to get the rate down ( would benefit us as well ) but they dont, maybe they just think if they can get away with a high rate that must be good. Certainly good for rich Thais who go abroad a lot. The average Thai who hardly can afford to go on holiday within Thailand for more than a couple of days would have no idea what all the fuss was about though and as for Thai pensioners, well they for the most part will be staying in the country til they end, they wont have the option we have.

Edited by nong38
  • Like 1

Wow! You get 175 quid a week? ohmy.png

• Like 1

What I would like to know is pension payment made on your birthday or the 4 weeks later. ?

As I sais it's becomes payable on your birthday, and it's paid every four weeks in arrears.

So if your birthday was today you would get paid four weeks pension on 1st May. They do say that the first payment may be a little early or late, they've only had 65 years to get it right.

I don't mind paying tax, it's all in a good cause.

Actually it will be transferred to a nominated UK bank account on the Friday of every 4th working week i.e the next 4th working week for April will be week 16 so the pension will be paid into a UK bank account on 20th April.

The next payment in May will be the Friday of week 20 or 18th of May and so on.

In November you will get 2 payments as week 44 is 2nd November and week 48 is 30th November and week 52 is 28 December but that may be paid earlier due to CHristmas.

If you pension is paid direct to a Thai bank it is normally in on the Tuesday following but sometimes the Monday, unless there is a Thai bank holiday.

What I would like to know is pension payment made on your birthday or the 4 weeks later. ?

As I sais it's becomes payable on your birthday, and it's paid every four weeks in arrears.

So if your birthday was today you would get paid four weeks pension on 1st May. They do say that the first payment may be a little early or late, they've only had 65 years to get it right.

Actually it will be transferred to a nominated UK bank account on the Friday of every 4th working week i.e the next 4th working week for April will be week 16 so the pension will be paid into a UK bank account on 20th April.

In November you will get 2 payments as week 44 is 2nd November and week 48 is 30th November and week 52 is 28 December but that may be paid earlier due to CHristmas.

If you pension is paid direct to a Thai bank it is normally in on the Tuesday following but sometimes the Monday, unless there is a Thai bank holiday.

My pension is paid every 28 days on a Tuesday (allocated day is Friday). Are you guys still experiencing a short payment delay or are you receiving your payments on your allocated day, i.e. due day? If receiving on your due day, what Thai bank are you using?

I have accounts at Krungsri and Kasikorn and am not too sure which one to use.

Edited by hathairat2711

My pension is paid every 28 days on a Tuesday (allocated day is Friday). Are you guys still experiencing a short payment delay or are you receiving your payments on your allocated day, i.e. due day? If receiving on your due day, what Thai bank are you using?

It shouldn't matter which of those banks you use, the timescale from the UK should be the same.

• Like 1

It shouldn't matter which of those banks you use, the timescale from the UK should be the same.

Thanks Brexiteer.

One final question. The UK State Pension call center ask for the bank's address, do you give the head office or the branch address? I would think it makes no difference as to which one as long as they have the SWIFT code and account number.

Until April payment took so long was phoning Wolverhampton to find out when it was paid if at all... ! anything from 18 to 26 days to arrive.. If phoning they just tell you a direct pension payment to a Thailand Bank takes 10 - 14 days.!!

Since then and getting Department for Work and Pensions; Pension Complaints Department. London, involved it has always arrived on Wednesday, get a SMS alert Wednesday about midday.

Got SMS from BKK Bank yesterday.. Pension day was Monday 4th so taking 10 days... last three 4 weekly payments have been the same..

Both BKK Bank and SCB state a UK Pension take 3 work days to arrive.. as yet never had it in only 3 days..

My due day is Friday and I usually get it about 9.30 on the Friday morning. If there is a public holiday in the UK that weekend it normally comes on the Thursday before. I am using TMB.

Thanks Brexiteer.

One final question. The UK State Pension call center ask for the bank's address, do you give the head office or the branch address? I would think it makes no difference as to which one as long as they have the SWIFT code and account number.

Your right, it doesn't make any difference. Thailand only uses 8 character SWIFT codes(Head office) for retail banking. Branch codes are 11 character and only used in corporate banking.

Funds are remitted to the Thai bank head office and then on to accounts.

• Like 2

Please be aware that any UK pension payment due on Monday, Tuesday and most likely Wednesday will not be in your bank until Thursday due to the public holidays next week.

Mine would have been paid on Tuesday.

That would be right Bill, funds are distributed from head office accounts via Bahtnet which is only online during a normal working day,I think it is 08.30 to 17.00. It is offline at weekends and bank holidays.

As far as I can see only Monday and Tuesday are listed as BOT holidays.

• Like 1

Please be aware that any UK pension payment due on Monday, Tuesday and most likely Wednesday will not be in your bank until Thursday due to the public holidays next week.

That would be right Bill, funds are distributed from head office accounts via Bahtnet which is only online during a normal working day,I think it is 08.30 to 17.00. It is offline at weekends and bank holidays.

Sandy is correct.

Monday is actually an extra National holiday this year, Tuesday is Asahla Bucha Day (no alcohol sales) and Wednesday is Buddhist Lent Day.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/thailand/

All Government offices will therefore be closed for 5 days, until Thursday 21st, but Banks will be open as usual on Wednesday, so the SIL who works at Krungthai informs me.

The BBc (9th July) on growing private-pension deficits ..

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36246713

"The BHS scheme is only one of thousands of final-salary pension schemes connected to companies across the UK - schemes which guarantee to pay a retirement income based on a percentage of your final salary every year for the rest of your life.

Latest figures from the PPF show that UK final-salary pension schemes have a collective deficit of £302bn. There are 4,891 schemes in deficit compared with 1,054 in surplus."

• Like 2

"It is an injustice that such pensions are treated differently from those of people who have moved away from the United Kingdom but live within the European Union"

Why only an injustice for those living in the EU? It's an injustice for all non-incremented pensioners, wherever they live. Typical mealy mouthed scumbag politician.

"It is an injustice that such pensions are treated differently from those of people who have moved away from the United Kingdom but live within the European Union"

Why only an injustice for those living in the EU? It's an injustice for all non-incremented pensioners, wherever they live. Typical mealy mouthed scumbag politician.

Those in the EU get upgraded

You may be right but my son's school is closed on Wednesday (they have all buggered off to Buri Ram leaving me and 2 cats in peace) and won't be back until Wednesday.

I have just rung the KBank Call Centre and they tell me that normal service can be expected on Wednesday.

Having applied for state pension forecast post Apr 16 and subsequently returned their DD mandate for NI cont at the self employed rate I now find a letter has arrived at my billing address asking what date I became self employed & mentions self assessment!

Having previously paid NI at the SE rate at HMRC's suggestion until being asked to stop after reaching the required 30 years and having been told self assessment wasn't necessary my call to them tomorrow will be rather interesting :)

Those in the EU get upgraded

In the original article Mordant (a pensions minister) was positing that post-Brexit EU pensions would no longer be increased, hence the (potential) injustice for expats in the UK and the (already very real) injustice for expats in most other countries.

You may be right but my son's school is closed on Wednesday (they have all buggered off to Buri Ram leaving me and 2 cats in peace) and won't be back until Wednesday.

I have just rung the KBank Call Centre and they tell me that normal service can be expected on Wednesday.

It is a bit confusing, found these notes.

"Asahna Bucha is a national Holiday in Thailand. It replaced Buddhist Lent as a gazetted holiday in 2007."

"Buddhist Lent Day is also a public holiday in Thailand, though banks are not closed."