UK pensions

Anyone who wants to check their NI record can now do it on the HMRC personal account. A full list of years back to 1975 is shown and a summary for years pre 75, I cut off the list.

Information they provided to me some years ago indicated I would have the 44 full years, but looks like it was 48. Year 2012 is incomplete as that is the year I started the state pension.

1. Account home

2. State Pension

Your UK National Insurance record

Summary

You have:

· 48 years of full contributions

· 1 year when you did not contribute enough

All years.

View gaps only

2011-12

Year is not full

View 2011-12details

2010-11

Full year

Having applied for state pension forecast post Apr 16 and subsequently returned their DD mandate for NI cont at the self employed rate I now find a letter has arrived at my billing address asking what date I became self employed & mentions self assessment!

Having previously paid NI at the SE rate at HMRC's suggestion until being asked to stop after reaching the required 30 years and having been told self assessment wasn't necessary my call to them tomorrow will be rather interesting smile.png

HMRC advised me to do this re paying NI at the SE rate from abroad. I found them very helpful.

For ease of reading I've listed today's actions in this box:

+ 44 191 203 7010 = Ni Cont UK.

Go to www.gov.uk

Search for NI3A and complete form CF83 at the back of the brochure.

Send it, along with a covering letter explaining War Pension <to see if it makes any difference as it surely would in UK> to the address on the form.

I forgot to mention self-assessment but will do so in my covering letter. When I sent the original DD I didn't bother with a covering letter as I had explained everything during my call for the pension forecast therefore didn't think it was necessary.

HMRC have sent P60's to Thailand since 2001.

Re email to pensions sec; I'll send mine to the Brexit sec too, with a link directing his team to the APPG.

(Submitted via email address at the bottom: http://www.daviddavismp.com )

Dear Mr Davis,

Congratulations on your return to the Cabinet! I respectfully ask that you please consider the plight of the 550,000 pensioners living abroad in countries where their pensions are frozen due to a quirk of history, and that during your tenure this Govt might do something about it while looking at how they’ll deal with pensioners living within the EU as part of the Brexit process.

Link to APPG on pensions: http://frozenbritishpensions.org

Please do what you can to ensure this group are no longer overlooked.

Sincerely,

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Having applied for state pension forecast post Apr 16 and subsequently returned their DD mandate for NI cont at the self employed rate I now find a letter has arrived at my billing address asking what date I became self employed & mentions self assessment!

Having previously paid NI at the SE rate at HMRC's suggestion until being asked to stop after reaching the required 30 years and having been told self assessment wasn't necessary my call to them tomorrow will be rather interesting smile.png

HMRC advised me to do this re paying NI at the SE rate from abroad. I found them very helpful.

For ease of reading I've listed today's actions in this box:

+ 44 191 203 7010 = Ni Cont UK.

Go to www.gov.uk

Search for NI38 and complete form CF83 at the back of the brochure.

Send it, along with a covering letter explaining War Pension <to see if it makes any difference as it surely would in UK> to the address on the form.

I forgot to mention self-assessment but will do so in my covering letter. When I sent the original DD I didn't bother with a covering letter as I had explained everything during my call for the pension forecast therefore didn't think it was necessary.

HMRC have sent P60's to Thailand since 2001.

(See correction-Even my ears are dyslexic!)

Social Security abroad: NI38

Edited by evadgib

Some clarification needed on who is who in this new government.

It seems that although Penny Mordaunt was first suggested for the Junior Pensions position, it is now being reported that Richard Harrington will take on the pensions brief as an Undersecretary of State (Ros Altmann who resigned was Secretary of State).
Richard Harrington has no history of supporting us, so we are back to the drawing board! sad.png

Edited by Expattaff1308

It seems that although Penny Mordaunt was first suggested for the Junior Pensions position, it is now being reported that Richard Harrington will take on the pensions brief as an Undersecretary of State (Ros Altmann who resigned was Secretary of State).

Richard Harrington has no history of supporting us, so we are back to the drawing board! sad.png

I'm not sure you're right. Harrington is Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions. Mordaunt is Work and Pensions Minister. They're different positions. I believe Minister outranks Under Secretary.

I'm not sure you're right. Harrington is Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Work and Pensions. Mordaunt is Work and Pensions Minister. They're different positions. I believe Minister outranks Under Secretary.

Needs clarification, Morden was Junior Minister but will have to look at it again I only reported what I got from the CIBP

They are all Ministers, a Secretary of State will be top of the pecking order and will normally be in The Cabinet. An Under Secretary will, as the name implies, be subordinate to the Secretary of State, though some still attend Cabinet Meetings.

• Like 1

The BBc (9th July) on growing private-pension deficits ..

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36246713

"The BHS scheme is only one of thousands of final-salary pension schemes connected to companies across the UK - schemes which guarantee to pay a retirement income based on a percentage of your final salary every year for the rest of your life.

Latest figures from the PPF show that UK final-salary pension schemes have a collective deficit of £302bn. There are 4,891 schemes in deficit compared with 1,054 in surplus."

My old company had a deficit in its final-salary pension scheme, but within the legal limits.

When I decided to retire early and take my pension with me, they had to top up the scheme with about 30,000 GBP to get back within the legal limits. biggrin.png

They were not happy when I left.

Re Social Security abroad: NI38 , Extracting the last 2 pages is easy enough, but can someone please explain how to print them without losing an inch at the top and bottom of each page, rendering the documents useless? My printer is old but I don't recall any previous probs re PDF files.

(I'm having a Basil Fawlty moment trying to sort this out!)

Edited by evadgib

I am assuming the new administration will continue with the previous ones re pension policy until 2020 and then we will see what changes are likely to be made then, by which time we should be out of the EU and expat pensioners living in the EU countries will have to have their status reviewed presumably.

I see that the legal firm who were looking at the validity of the recent referendum are having the case heard in October, cant imagine that it will get far as every election afterwards will be subject to legal challenges and it would be very difficult for anyone to form a government, challenge after challenge.

Ros Altmann has gone and am not sorry about that, she was on our side until she saw the light of the Government Office and all that that entails which was not to our benefit ( not to be confused with entitlement).

Well they still feel 31-Billion for 4-submarines is fine, with running-costs of maybe a couple-of-billion a year, so it MUST be affordable now, to give expat-pensioners equal-treatment with UK-resident ones ... right ? wink.png

Is that optimism or sarcasm?biggrin.png

I happen to think we should replace Trident, once we stop having nuclear weapons, it would be very difficult to return to them at some time in the future, we have to keep up, I would prefer the world to be nuclear free but the genie is out of the bottle.

I also think that all pensioners should be treated the same and is wrong that we can find money, often large sums for somethings and not a relatively small amount to treat all pensioners the same. The ex-pat EU pensioners must be worried about their position in a few years time.

Mourdant was named MoS @ DWP on 15 July.

HTH

(Unable to post the link on this device!)

Confirmed by email (Adam Chambers)

Thank you for your replies. Ms Mordaunt is at the DWP

New ministerial appointments July 2016: Ministers of State at DWP and MOD

Danian Green is SoS for DWP, Penny Mordaunt MoS for the disabled & Richard Harrington PuS for pensions.

New ministerial team at the Department for Work and Pensions

Edited by evadgib

Re Social Security abroad: NI38 , Extracting the last 2 pages is easy enough, but can someone please explain how to print them without losing an inch at the top and bottom of each page, rendering the documents useless? My printer is old but I don't recall any previous probs re PDF files.

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:49 PM

To: '[email protected]'

Cc: '[email protected]'

Subject: NI38 CF83 pages 43 and 44 - Help!

Dear HMRC,

Upon printing the attached pages I find an inch missing at the top and bottom of each page, rendering them useless. Tech support inc changing them into word documents still resulted in not being able to use them, not least because the DD column was missing! Can you therefore please:

- Send both pages (I don’t need anything else) in a format I can actually use &

- If possible enable me to complete it electronically to prevent any probs re reading my handwriting.

- Note my geographic location!

Thank you J

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:49 PM

To: '[email protected]'

Cc: '[email protected]'

Dear HMRC,

Upon printing the attached pages I find an inch missing at the top and bottom of each page, rendering them useless. Tech support inc changing them into word documents still resulted in not being able to use them, not least because the DD column was missing! Can you therefore please:

- Send both pages (I don’t need anything else) in a format I can actually use &

- If possible enable me to complete it electronically to prevent any probs re reading my handwriting.

- Note my geographic location!

Thank you J

1. Open the PDF file.
  2. Click on "File", and on the drop-down menu that appears, select "Print"; the Print window will pop up.
  3. Within the Print window, look for the section entitled "Page Handling". Within this section is a drop-down box labeled "Page Scaling". Select "Shrink to Printable Area" from this drop-down.
  4. Click on the "OK" button to print.

OR

1. Open the PDF file.
  2. Click on "File", and on the drop-down menu that appears, select "Print"; the Print window will pop up.
  3. Within the Print window, click on the "Properties" button; the Properties window will pop up.
  4. Within the Properties window, click on the "Effects" tab.
  5. Check the "Print Document On:" box and choose the "paper size that is in your printer" option from the list.
  6. Click on the "Paper" tab.
  7. Go to "Size is:" and choose the "paper size that is in your printer" option from the list.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to exit the Properties window and return to the main Print dialog box.
  9. Click on the "OK" button to print.
Edited by partington
  • Like 1

Appreciated, Unfortunately the boxes came out so small that I cannot possibly complete them by hand.

Ironically Thai-sized paper (the size they use for legal docs-A4 plus a couple of inches!) might work too :)

Edited by evadgib

I was wrong, F14 (Thai paper) didn't solve the prob either sad.png

Edit: How this for pissing in the wind?

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:49 PM
To: <redacted>

** PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL **

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email requesting the above form in an alternative format.

HMRC interactive forms are not yet compatible with any smartphones or tablets. Please use a computer to complete the form.

This facility is designed for users of assistive technology only. Assistive technology improves the functional capabilities of people with disabilities e.g. large print forms, braille, audio format.

As your query does not relate to assistive technology, please follow this link to find the correct contact details for the department you require:

https://www.gov.uk/contact

Kind regards

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal professional privilege. Unless you are the intended recipient or his/her representative you are not authorised to, and must not, read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately.

HM Revenue & Customs computer systems will be monitored and communications carried on them recorded, to secure the effective operation of the system and for lawful purposes.

The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs are not liable for any personal views of the sender.

This e-mail may have been intercepted and its information altered.

Edited by evadgib

Appreciated, Unfortunately the boxes came out so small that I cannot possibly complete them by hand.

Ironically Thai-sized paper (the size they use for legal docs-A4 plus a couple of inches!) might work too smile.png

You can complete the form in PDF prior to printing. If you only have the Adobe reader get Nitro PDF Reader, that works ok. Foxit also works but Nitro is better.

Regarding your second comment, you could very well be right and it is legal size, I think the document is 8.3 x 15. That being the case, in the print dialogue box you should select 'Fit'. Another option could be 'shrink oversize pages' but I have never tried that.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Well they still feel 31-Billion for 4-submarines is fine, with running-costs of maybe a couple-of-billion a year, so it MUST be affordable now, to give expat-pensioners equal-treatment with UK-resident ones ... right ? wink.png

Is that optimism or sarcasm?biggrin.png

A bit of both, I guess. coffee1.gif

How the heck Parliament thinks they can afford to buy & run nuclear-armed submarines, when there are so many other demands on the country's limited funds, why they'll be spending tax-money (or borrowed funds ?) on duck-houses for MPs' moats next ! wink.png

• Like 2