UK pensions

19 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Good to see we've got our priorities right...
Your aid millions to help the elderly in China: British embassy in Beijing invites groups to apply for cash from £1.36billion fund

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4197890/Your-aid-millions-help-elderly-China.html

I've nothing against supporting this worthy cause but think the Chinese government is in a much better place to do so than we are...

Charity begins at home & all that

I like Chop Suey and my wife had a Chinese grandparent. Perhaps we should apply ?

• Like 2
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, nontabury said:

I think it would be useful if you were to read the whole thread.

I'm sure HM pensions will be only to willing to pay your FROZEN pension here in Thailand.

yes sorry thats correct unless new deals are struck between these countries ...wont hold my breath eh

• Like 1
On 1/5/2017 at 0:47 PM, ignis said:

Re  Pension

My last payment arrived in my Thai Bank on 30th Nov...... So then next money should have arrived on 28th Dec, so far nothing !!!   

+ so say ??

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-have-your-benefits-paid

Due day 23 - 30th December ....... payments made on 23rd, wonder where mine has got to ?  = more phone calls

when I spoke to somebody in Wolverhampton international pensions they told me to allow 10 work days.. !!!!        

Automatic payments by Computer that have a long Christmas and New Year ?

For those of you having trouble getting your pension on time, another option is to have the pension paid into a UK bank and then transfer it yourself at a cheaper rate via Transferwise or a similar service. This is what I have been doing.

As a resident of Thailand you can open a sterling account offshore but within the UK banking system. Nationwide International on the Isle of Man is closing soon, but Santander IOM is accepting account applications from Thai residents.

Because of the Nationwide closure, I just opened an instant access type account with Santander IOM, minimum deposit £1 but pathetic interest (0.5%). No cash card available for Thai residents, but you don't need one with Internet banking. They required the usual proof of identity, address, and source of funds.

http://www.santander.co.im/default-instant.aspx

(I also opened an account with NS&I (a "savings organization" rather than a bank), but the catch there is that while you can be a foreign resident you need a UK bank account and debit card to get started. They include Isle of Man banks as part of the UK banking system. All deposits are supposed to be from a UK bank account in your own name but they make an exception for UK state pensions. Interest on the Direct Saver account is currently 0.80% and you can sign up for Income Bonds at 1.00%.

https://www.nsandi.com/our-products )

My experience with Transferwise has been very good so far. They use the real GBP/THB exchange rate and take 1.5% as a fee, which works out cheaper than a regular Swift transfer. You get to see the actual exchange rate used and it is locked in for 24 hours. My pension seems to arrive in my UK bank on the day it should. The electronic transfer of money from my former bank (I haven't tried Santander yet) to Transferwise took a couple of hours and the transfer from Transferwise to my Thai bank took 2.5 days.

So it's a trade-off really. On the one hand you get the convenience of the pension automatically arriving in your Thai bank account, on the other you save a little money and have some control over the process, but need to initiate the transfers yourself each time.

A woman who lost her long-term partner has won a legal battle that is likely to improve the pension rights of unmarried couples in the public sector.

Denise Brewster, who was denied payments from her late partner's occupational pension, argued that she was the victim of "serious discrimination".

Following a to and fro legal fight, she won her case at the UK's highest court.

The case was closely watched by pension schemes which could change their rules.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38904268

17 hours ago, evadgib said:

A woman who lost her long-term partner has won a legal battle that is likely to improve the pension rights of unmarried couples in the public sector.

Denise Brewster, who was denied payments from her late partner's occupational pension, argued that she was the victim of "serious discrimination".

Following a to and fro legal fight, she won her case at the UK's highest court.

The case was closely watched by pension schemes which could change their rules.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38904268

It will be interesting to see if the 'pension providers' appeal the ruling and how quickly small print changes are made.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

According to the government , the terms of the petition are factually incorrect in that all occupational pension payments are susceptible to income tax. I believe that this is how it should be or in the alternative, make all pensions tax free but to identify any one group as warranting pensions free of income tax is flawed reasoning.

• Like 2

For those with savings in the UK and amazed at the appalling rate of interest there might be better news coming. As inflation starts to go up some pundits are saying that a "modest" rise in rates might be on the cards so maybe up .25% for start later this year.

With the trigger for article 50 not far off now how will the exchange rate situation be and how will it affect your pension? I personally and its just my thoughts, I have no control over what happens is that the exchange rate has been overdone and dont expect things to get worse when the HMG make their move and if the markets like what we say and do then maybe the rates will improve, lets hope so anyway.

I also noted that over the last couple of weeks that the "young" should not to expect to retire before 74 and more recently that some people may not retire at all! Does not sound to good to me I like retirement!!

• Like 2
For those with savings in the UK and amazed at the appalling rate of interest there might be better news coming. As inflation starts to go up some pundits are saying that a "modest" rise in rates might be on the cards so maybe up .25% for start later this year.
With the trigger for article 50 not far off now how will the exchange rate situation be and how will it affect your pension? I personally and its just my thoughts, I have no control over what happens is that the exchange rate has been overdone and dont expect things to get worse when the HMG make their move and if the markets like what we say and do then maybe the rates will improve, lets hope so anyway.
I also noted that over the last couple of weeks that the "young" should not to expect to retire before 74 and more recently that some people may not retire at all! Does not sound to good to me I like retirement!!

I read an article recently from US financial pundit who claimed that hard brexit already priced into sterling.
On 2/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, nong38 said:

Mixed views on the rates.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pound-sterling-latest-collapse-16-per-cent-brexit-eu-deutsche-bank-incredibly-complicated-a7580151.html

On 2/8/2017 at 5:20 PM, orientalist said:

For those of you having trouble getting your pension on time, another option is to have the pension paid into a UK bank and then transfer it yourself at a cheaper rate via Transferwise or a similar service. This is what I have been doing.

Shortly after the referendum I moved my state pension from my Thai account back to my UK account in the slim hope that there may be some improvement in the rate in due course. I do not need all my pension so now only bring over what I need as and when but it is not cheaper than under the DWP arrangement. In the time I was getting my pension paid here I always monitored the DWP rate against the forex rate and now do the same with the bank transfers. The difference between the forex rate and the rate into my Thai account is now a bit larger than it was with the DWP. It is not a great deal and as HSBC only charge £4 for the transfer I am not particularly bothered by the additional cost to avoid transferring all my pension, a good chunk is spent in the UK each year anyway. Transfer times from HSBC are normally between 12 and 24 hours, had one go to 2 days.

• Like 1

And further propaganda about how well-off pensioners are  ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38970227

"A third of UK lives on inadequate income, says think tank."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36826166

"Young suffer as pensioners continue to prosper, says IFS"

So it must be pensioners' own fault, if they haven't noticed, just how fat they're living ? :biggrin:

Edited by Ricardo
3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

And further propaganda about how well-off pensioners are  ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38970227

"A third of UK lives on inadequate income, says think tank."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36826166

"Young suffer as pensioners continue to prosper, says IFS"

So it must be pensioners' own fault, if they haven't noticed, just how fat they're living ? :biggrin:

I saw that first quote on the BBC website this morning and I tried the minimum Income calculation.

I am sorry that this post is so long.

Q1 was OK

Q2 failed because only one of us is a pensioner and I got this answer

Are you pensioners?

Yes

No

One of us is

Sorry, we cannot calculate an income standard for your household.

This is because the Minimum Income Standard does not cover couples one of whom is a pensioner and the other not.

To calculate what your income standard would be if both of you were either above or below the pension age, select one of the first two options above.

I changed that to both of us as pensioners and got this answer

How many children live with you?

Note: Because you are a pensioner household, we are not asking you about dependent children in your family. Some pensioners do have dependent children, but because the number of cases we can consider is limited, we have only calculated children’s needs in the case of working-age families.

I then changed it again to neither of use are pensioners and got to Q3.

1 child of secondary school age and the result cam out as this

For a basic standard of living,
you and your partner each need to earn:

£14,814 per year (£29,627 per year between you),
giving a net income of £528.66 per week

So that your income, after tax and benefits adjustments, is enough to cover what the public think is needed for a minimum acceptable standard of living.

These calculations assume the household is eligible for benefits and tax credits, depending on its income.

Show outgoings breakdown

Weekly outgoings(?)

£528.66

Food

Alcohol

Clothing

Water rates

Council Tax

Household Insurances

Gas, electricity, etc

Other housing costs

Household goods

Household services

Childcare

Personal goods and services

Travel costs and motoring

Social and cultural activities

Rent

Mortgage

Show income breakdown

Weekly Income(?)

£528.66

Your Pre-tax Earnings

Your Income Tax

Your National Insurance

Partner's Pre-tax Earnings

Partner's Income Tax

Partner's National Insurance

After Tax Earnings

Working Tax Credits

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Childcare Tax Credit

Housing Benefit

Council Tax Support

Income Support / Jobseeker's Allowance

• Like 1

"minimum Income calculation" ....What a load of rubbish

Someone has been paid a huge sum of money to draw up a simple spread sheet and fill it with figures plucked out of the air. I would put good money on the "think tank" being comprised of well off "luvvies" who have no idea what normal people spend money on.

How about breaking these figures down. Whoever dreamed this up needs their heads looking at. I do not know any opensioner spending £87 a week on social and cultural events. We don't all go to the Royal Albert Hall each week

Thank  you Bild for sharing this with us, it helps us to see how misguided so many of these reports are.

We are a normal pensioner couple, living a normal life and having paid off our mortgage and car. We live a good life, eat good food and see friends each week. Our total outgoings each month are around. £1,200 and that includes gas and electric as well as council tax. Mind you, we do not have X boxes or Play stations, do not go to the theater each week and make do with our normal clothes, mending when torn or wearing out. We grow our own veg and fruit and love our lifestyle.

Obviously something is wrong with us as we do not fit into the think tank figures.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

I find it strange that while there is a general consensus that given current pensioners are now relatively more prosperous than their predecessors, that this is somehow  a situation warranting correction. Is this really bad news ? The media seem to be obsessed with stimulating an inter -generational conflict. Do we really want to return to an age where being a pensioner meant living in poverty and do the young people of today want to look forward to this grim prospect ?

I see India is forging ahead in space exploration. Perhaps we should invite them to send us some money from their foreign aid budget ?

We must remember the young of course, they are the ones buying homes at our expense! Interest rates down means less income for us whilst mortgage rates are so low and the owners so over stretched that its difficult to see when rates will be allowed to go up and when they do a lot of people, mainly young people will find it hard to retain their new homes, perhaps then they will know how it feels to be robbed!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, evadgib said:

Link to ICBP FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pensionjustice/

Note the PDF from the commons library on Brexit & Pensions.

Could you use larger print. Some of us OAPs have trouble reading anything smaller than 14 point on this forum....LOL

Everyone knows that your pension is frozen if you move to certain countries so why all the shock, horror, we are being cheated posts?

• Like 1