Thai Driving Licence

rod2011

I have searched the forums and there are loads of questions like mine but can not seem to find an answer.

I spend a lot of time travelling around Thailand and think it is about time I got a Thai driving licence.

I now have a non immigrant multi entry O visa.

I know to get both car and motorbike licence I need to supply copies of my Passport, Visa, a doctors certificate and copies of my UK driving licence and my international driving licence.

The only other thing I need is proof of residency and that is the problem. As I travel around I do not have a 'residence' and spend time moving from guest house or hotel every few weeks.

Any suggestions on how I can get around this problem of not having proof of residency ?

I will be in Nong Bua Lam Phu for 2 weeks, then Bangkok for 2 weeks then Pattaya for 2 weeks so I can try and arrange a resdency certificate in any of these places.

Thanks.

Edited by rod2011

Sorry to say but if you cannot provide that info like a phone or electric bill they will not give you a Residency Certificate as you are not residing anywhere.

There is another recent post already running here where you will see all the info however like I say you need to reside before you can get a recidency letter

Edited by Gone

You will not have any problem obtaining one in Pattaya, just bring a reciept from your hotel as proof of residency; the immigration just wants you 200 baht.

Edited by Rimmer
Quite unnecessary general flame
  • Like 1

You will not have any problem obtaining one in Pattaya, just bring a reciept from your hotel as proof of residency; the immigration just wants you 200 baht.

Bring a business card from the hotel also. The address is normally printed on these, and they usually look fairly professional.

As previous poster says, this is your address.

• Like 1

I also need to get a Thai driver's license. (I don't have the patience to look- but is there a forum on this topic)? I know where the locatioin is (near Regent school)...how one takes the written test , then the driver's test. Can one "study" for the written test or is it "hit and miss"? Some farangs had to go 2-3 times back...others have said it wasn't a big deal to get a license.

I also need to get a Thai driver's license. (I don't have the patience to look- but is there a forum on this topic)? I know where the locatioin is (near Regent school)...how one takes the written test , then the driver's test. Can one "study" for the written test or is it "hit and miss"? Some farangs had to go 2-3 times back...others have said it wasn't a big deal to get a license.

I found a thread on this:

I decided to get a Thai driver's license in Mukdahan on my non-imm ED visa. Here's a quick report of what I did and what I needed.

I arrived at Mukdahan Immigration in the afternoon. I was the only one there. I had already made copies of all documents I thought were necessary. They gave me a form for my landlord to fill out and told me I needed to bring them some sort of letter from the department of land transportation. They also told me I needed to have a copy of the entry stamp in my passport, not just of the departure card.

I headed back to my residency, got my landlord to fill out the form, went to the department of land transportation, asked about the letter that was required, they gave it to me in an envelope after looking at my passport, international driving permit, and California license.

I went back to the immigration office which was still empty. I handed them the form filled out by my landlord and the letter from the department of land transportation. They made me sign copies of my passport photo page, visa, and entry stamp/departure card. They took my passport and after about 10 minutes handed it back to me with part of the residency form filled out by my landlord stapled inside. They gave me back the letter from the department of land transportation. There were no fees involved, and all the officials were very nice and very helpful.

I went to a small clinic for the medical certificate. It cost 50 baht and all they did was check my heart.

The next morning I went to the department of land transportation. There might have been 10 people there, and I turned in signed copies of my passport picture page, visa page, arrival stamp, international driver's license, California driver's license, and medical certificate. I waited about 15 minutes and they called me into the other room and made me take a color test. A man pointed to colors and I read the names in Thai. Yellow, green, red, yellow, red, green, red, light blue, dark blue...I think they were just having a little fun because everyone laughed when I messed up the word for dark blue (my Thai classes don't start for another 2 weeks). I never took any reflex test or any other test. They took me over to the photo booth, printed out a license for me, took 250 baht, and that was it. I must admit I was a little confused about what was required a lot of the time, as the girl at the department of land transportation told me I'd need a copy of the back of my international driver's permit when I visited the first afternoon. The next day they never asked for it.

I'll list out everything I needed.

For proof of residency at immigration:

-One signed copy of my passport photo page.

-One signed copy of my current visa page.

-One signed copy of my departure card and arrival stamp in my passport. (I had to go back to the copy shop because the first time I only had a copy of my departure card and the stamp on the card and not of the identical stamp in the passport, which the officer had stamped all the way back on a page that hadn't been used since 2007).

-A letter from the department of land transportation (which they just gave to me in an envelope and told me to take to immigration after I asked about it).

-A form filled out by my landlord as proof of residency.

No costs were involved, and it only took them about 10 minutes after I had everything they needed. I read that I needed two passport photos-I had them and they said they weren't needed.

-For the license at the department of land transportation:

-One signed copy of my passport photo page.

-One signed copy of my passport visa page.

-One signed copy of my passport arrival stamp.

-One signed copy of my California driver's license, front and back.

-One signed copy of my international driving permit.

-One medical certificate.

-Returned letter from immigration and whatever amendments they made to it.

-Eye test.

-250 baht.

test fairly easy, but written in bad english, so re-read the questions, there is a government site where you can practise the test, but i can not seem to find the link at the moment, if you have an international licence, to cover the type of licence you are applying for, a theory test is not required.

• 2 months later...

I went to get new car tax today, but unfortunately they are closed on Saturday's and Sundays -(

They give you the chance to "study" a text in English for an hour. It is worth doing it. I didn't and failed the first time, some of the "correct" answers here are different from what they would be in other countries.

The rest is no problem.

The online training and mock test is here

change the language to english in the top right box.

http://apps.dlt.go.th/driving_hp/ELearnning/E-Learning2.swf

Edited by johng

Your lucky the members have the patience to help you. Nice people.

I passed without studying. Others did not. Questions are not easy as they are not written very well. Overall, it was a breeze.

I've seen Thais using the study book to look up the answers.

They give you the chance to "study" a text in English for an hour. It is worth doing it. I didn't and failed the first time, some of the "correct" answers here are different from what they would be in other countries.

The rest is no problem.

True, my wife found that out after being told which questions she failed on even though she gave the right answer.

I have a Thai car license more than six years. So I thought by myself, go to the DLT and get a bike license...

BUT they told me, I have to do the theoretical and practical test once again.bah.gif.

No discussion about that, even I have tried..tongue.png

Well, I found the written test relatively easy, only 4 questions wrong, although English is not my first language.

But after that, the practical test.

I can only say: beware of the narrow bar at the beginning of the testing parcours.

I failed that test on the half way. So I had to repeat the practical test one week later.

Edited by roban

I have a Thai car license more than six years. So I thought by myself, go to the DLT and get a bike license...

BUT they told me, I have to do the theoretical and practical test once again.bah.gif.

No discussion about that, even I have tried..tongue.png

Well, I found the written test relatively easy, only 4 questions wrong, although English is not my first language.

But after that, the practical test.

I can only say: beware of the narrow bar at the beginning of the testing parcours.

I failed that test on the half way. So I had to repeat the practical test one week later.

Yes, that narrow bit sure seems dumb to me. I never been on a 6 inch highway before, but I had to be able to drive along that one????? Would have been better if the short course had involved real driving problems like emergency stops or obeying speed limits