Lpg Flow.

soi41

2hand car with "new" 2JZ Toyota engine. LPG fitted by previous owner. Not a mixer system. so I only use gas. Last week it started to smell gas, when driving, so I took the car to a LPG-garage today. They went over the whole system with a "sniffer". No leaks, said the smell came the exhaust, plausible as it is a open car. Drove the car for about half an hour, parked it for a while and when starting it again: A big bang from the exhaust. Probably from gas staying in the system, exhaust is upwardbend. I am not very technical, but I suspect, that the gasflow is to strong, not burning all the gas feeded into the system ? If so, how to regulate it ??

Thank you.

This is not intended as a hit but if you're not technically minded enough to know if it is a turbo or not then stay away from adjusting the LP flow yourself. It sounds like you're onto something about it flowing too much but as per your post it is just now beginning that malfunction and or getting worse so I think a good tech is in order as something more then an adjustment may be in order. An intake Venturi system has a small brass valve in the LP hose feeding the intake between the Lp atomizer and the venturi but if you have a multiport system set up I believe it is electronically controlled by a separate lambda unit which controls spark and mixture and you could be having issues with that.

Be aware that just because the sign says LPG doesn't mean they actually know anything more about LPG systems then how to install them by a set of installation plans, I've already run into this myself and anything outside of that window like actually diagnosing a problem and they are lost but won't let you know out of fear of losing face..

LPG is not a clean fuel in as much as it does have gummy deposits that build up in the system. I suggest an inspection and cleaning of the system. Both the vaporizer/mixer and the shut off solenoid.

But as has been said pick a good, busy installation place.

A word to the wise. A specialty LPG place will clean the LPG system but may not clean the engine intake as was the case with me!

Edited by VocalNeal

LPG is not a clean fuel in as much as it does have gummy deposits that build up in the system. I suggest an inspection and cleaning of the system. Both the vaporizer/mixer and the shut off solenoid.

But as has been said pick a good, busy installation place.

A word to the wise. A specialty LPG place will clean the LPG system but may not clean the engine intake as was the case with me!

Speaking of engine intakes, this is my intake because I use Caltex 95 Benzine and manually change it to lubricate and clean the system while driving and not leave it up to the auto system which only changes it after start up once warm enough..

post-83221-0-52974300-1332220171_thumb.j

post-83221-0-17232500-1332220202_thumb.j

This car has almost 300,000k on it runs perfectly and I took this picture when I was replacing the rubber flange between the fuel injector throttle body and the intake as it had a leak causing my cars throttle to run on when you let off the pedal.. The blueish color is the benzine that coast it and it seems to be good stuff cleaning like this and lubricating so there is another significant reason to manually alternate between LP and benzine when running LP for long periods as it also cools the valves and lubricates them as well.

Edited by WarpSpeed

like above you need a mechanic who knows what he's doing...for that reason i tuned my system myself after the 3rd mechanic here in CM failed to let my sr20det idel normal lol, ok it took 1week of trying around but it runs perfect...

if you want to know if your system is installed properly get a gauge to check your air/fuel ratio with a quality wideband gauge, i bought a aem uego for this from US for about 12k thb to be accurate...mostly mechanics here let too much gas through the injectors to let the car run too rich, for that reason you smell'd gas and on high rpms you even get backfire's in the exhaust which will sound like a bomb...

anyway too rich just works but your sparkplugs won't be happy after a while...just get a gauge and you can check if your mechanic is good.

if you need a gauge send me a message

like above you need a mechanic who knows what he's doing...for that reason i tuned my system myself after the 3rd mechanic here in CM failed to let my sr20det idel normal lol, ok it took 1week of trying around but it runs perfect...

if you want to know if your system is installed properly get a gauge to check your air/fuel ratio with a quality wideband gauge, i bought a aem uego for this from US for about 12k thb to be accurate...mostly mechanics here let too much gas through the injectors to let the car run too rich, for that reason you smell'd gas and on high rpms you even get backfire's in the exhaust which will sound like a bomb...

anyway too rich just works but your sparkplugs won't be happy after a while...just get a gauge and you can check if your mechanic is good.

if you need a gauge send me a message

Nothing will be happy, backfiring cases all sort of potential engine damage and the car runs too hot with an already hotter then usual fuel running it and the turbo also runs hotter then it should as well given the temp of the exhaust.. When I say "runs too hot" I'm not talking about the water temp gauge running higher so it would be something you notice unless you have an EGT in your exhaust system (doubtful) then you won't see the effects..

Edited by WarpSpeed