Daily Aspirin 'Prevents And Possibly Treats Cancer'

marshbags

I have a low dose apririn which was recommended for better blood circulation and blood clot prevention by my doctor back home.

Now I read it is beneficial for lowering the risk of several cancers and the latest article from the Lancet.

I also read some time ago that Aspirin would turn out to be the rediscovered wonder drug it was originally and when used sensibly is once again being recommended.

Courteousy of the BBC health today.

Ref url http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-17443454

I hope it is O.K. to post the url rather than the detailed article Sheryl.

marshbags wai.gif

Edited by marshbags

The question for me is - should I take aspirin if I am physically fit, exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet?

In other words is aspirin beneficial for a healthy person?

Who exactly should be taking this?

Edited by tropo

The question for me is - should I take aspirin if I am physically fit, exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet?

In other words is aspirin beneficial for a healthy person?

Who exactly should be taking this?

Ask a good doc of course, but I would say no, you shouldn't take it. Its not for everyone. It's for people with some obvious risks. However, if you don't really eat a healthy diet, for example if you eat processed red meats in any quantity at all, you might want to.

Of course, the reason for not everyone taking this is that there are potentially bad side effects of internal bleeding.

Interestingly, just as this news is coming out, the best source in Thailand for low dose enteric aspirin, ASPENT 81 mg., is mysteriously no longer available over the counter in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

There is a lack of availability for white Tiger Balm and Nizoral too. I was told at the Rx that it was due to flooding at the production factory.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to start taking my 81mg baby aspirin again.

JAMA

25,570 patients, 4 years duration study. 21% reduced risk of cancer death.

*There may be an interruption page in that link for non-members but I just kept linking to it and I could read the first 150 words eventually.

Edited by ding

A number of pharmacists are telling people now the baby aspirin is controlled now and only available through hospitals with a doctor's scrip. Aspent-M maybe, but do not believe them! Other brands are definitely still sold over the counter.

Right, but most people taking this for preventative reasons take the LOW DOSE. There is another thread here on this topic where I posted a link discussing the pros and cons of enteric coating. The bottom line is you can't buy Aspent anymore over the counter (which is coated) but if you look around you can buy some other brands, some coated, some not of the low dose aspirin. I reckon the issue with Aspent is flood related, but some pharmacies are suggesting there is a new law restricting low dose aspirin in general to hospitals and I think they are spreading false information.

Good posting and comments. I started to take a one a day 'baby aspirin' with coating, even though I have not broached the subject with my doctor (in the UK). I did this because my grandfather suffered colon cancer, my father has intestinal problems, and I have suffered from mild IBS for donkeys years, thus it seems prudent.

But there can be side effects which people need to be aware of, eg, stomach irritation, and aspirin should not be given to children without medical consent.

And as recently restated in the press, a daily aspirin is not a substitute for doing exercise, maintaining a good weight, not smoking, etc.

when I got diagnosed with hypertension late last year the required medication was the high blood pressure stuff and a 83mg baby aspirin per day (who gives a shit if it's coated or uncoated?...jesus)...back in the old days in the US everyone kept a huge jar of 500mg aspirin tabs on hand for various ailments and useta eat them like candy...can't see that an 83mg tab of baby aspirin per day will do any harm...lessens blood viscosity and aids circulation and good blood circulation is what we want to keep a good balance and to fight infection and other nasties...

One article on this said that taking a daily aspirin only works for heart problems for 3 years and then does not do much of anything, but works for preventing cancer long term.

I'm skeptical about that one. Keep in mind people take the aspirin for different reasons. Some people who have ALREADY had a cardiovascular event and probably most people who are trying to maximize their chances of delaying or preventing one in the first place. Edited by Jingthing

.can't see that an 83mg tab of baby aspirin per day will do any harm...lessens blood viscosity and aids circulation and good blood circulation is what we want to keep a good balance and to fight infection and other nasties...

People will do anything to avoid regular exercise - improving blood circulation - improved oxygenation of the whole body lessening the chances of cancer growth.

Let's examine the stats: About 20% less deaths in 4 years - this means 4 out of 5 still died of cancer in the 4 year period and who knows what's going to happen in the next 4 years....

Is a 20% better chance of survival over 4 years enough of a reason to take drugs when simple exercise will probably work more effectively and have a multitude of other advantages?

.can't see that an 83mg tab of baby aspirin per day will do any harm...lessens blood viscosity and aids circulation and good blood circulation is what we want to keep a good balance and to fight infection and other nasties...

People will do anything to avoid regular exercise - improving blood circulation - improved oxygenation of the whole body lessening the chances of cancer growth.

Let's examine the stats: About 20% less deaths in 4 years - this means 4 out of 5 still died of cancer in the 4 year period and who knows what's going to happen in the next 4 years....

Is a 20% better chance of survival over 4 years enough of a reason to take drugs when simple exercise will probably work more effectively and have a multitude of other advantages?

oh yeah and I agree that regular exercise is the best thing...I ain't got nothin' against regular exercise but as most sedentary folks know it takes a big effort to sustain an exercise routine...when I'm at work I can fit in regular aerobic exercise as it also helps with getting good restful sleep (I hate arguing with dumb bosses: 'why do you sleep during the day?' tutsi: 'because I'm sleepy, you idiot!')...being at home I just lay around all day and drink vodka and the new exercise bike sits there unused and unloved...the most exercise I get are short trips on foot down the market...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

oh yeah and I agree that regular exercise is the best thing...I ain't got nothin' against regular exercise but as most sedentary folks know it takes a big effort to sustain an exercise routine...when I'm at work I can fit in regular aerobic exercise as it also helps with getting good restful sleep (I hate arguing with dumb bosses: 'why do you sleep during the day?' tutsi: 'because I'm sleepy, you idiot!')...being at home I just lay around all day and drink vodka and the new exercise bike sits there unused and unloved...the most exercise I get are short trips on foot down the market...

It's tough getting started. Once you've got the first 3 or 4 weeks under your belt you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Edited by tropo

Mayo clinic http://www.mayoclini...therapy/HB00073

BTW I take 500mg p.d. since 10 years, never any problem.....except I might become immortal under the same old skin , not so pleasant thought :-)

I hope you're doing that because a doctor told you to. Otherwise, that's way too high a daily dose.

You have a lot of faith in doctors. I wouldn't take half the stuff doctor's prescribe - especially the ones in Thailand.Take a pill for this, take a pill for that. You don't need many doctor's visits here to fill up a draw with medicine.

If you want to take something for the heart and for a host of other things you would be far better off taking fish oil than aspirin.

Better idea: take BOTH.

For many people myself included i couldnt take aspirin for fear of internal bleeding. Long term use of aspirin is not recommended whereas there are no side effects from taking fish oil supplements and in fact more benefits than aspirin.

My Dr. recommended a baby aspirin a day to prevent a heart attack and stroke, My blood pressure has been high for about 30 years. Went fine until I had a ruptured appendix, then the surgeon was upset as they had trouble controlling the bleeding.He said it was a result of the baby aspirin. So I no longer take the baby aspirin but do take fish oil daily. The only change I have noticed after taking fish oil for over a year is I swim better. giggle.gif

• Like 2

I'm concerned the main point has been missed, as I understand it a daily dose of aspirin over a 5 year period, reduces the risk of a wide range of very serious ailments, ie, heart attacks, stroke, bowel and throat cancer, by 20-60% depending on which it is, and can also reduce tumour size in those that already have one.

The afflictions mentioned aren't necessarily lifestyle dependent, so you can't directly substitute the benefits of exercise and a healthy diet in its place, though exercise is of course very important in a general sense.

Fish oil, tea, coffee, porridge oats, spirulina, apple cider vinegar, and vit pills are all to the well and good, but in no way do they have the same benfits as aspirin.

Fish oil, tea, coffee, porridge oats, spirulina, apple cider vinegar, and vit pills are all to the well and good, but in no way do they have the same benfits as aspirin.

Regular exercise might have the same benefits as aspirin - and more. We'd have to see a study on the benefits of aspirin on two groups. One group sedentary and the other exercising regularly.

Regular exercise is obviously good, and something I do myself, and it goes hand in hand with maintaining an ideal body weight. Over nutrition and lack of exercise seems to be a major factor underlying many serious afflictions as far as I can see.

But why either exercise or aspirin, why not both if you are middle aged or over.?

Regular exercise is obviously good, and something I do myself, and it goes hand in hand with maintaining an ideal body weight. Over nutrition and lack of exercise seems to be a major factor underlying many serious afflictions as far as I can see.

But why either exercise or aspirin, why not both if you are middle aged or over.?

Just for starters - aspirin thins the blood. If you exercise regularly and have good blood circulation and blood pressure it may be dangerous. I don't see anyone suggesting a blood platelet count before administrating aspirin.

I think it's more prudent to as why rather than why not.

I agree it is not for ALL people. It is for people with some obvious risk factors. Not just being middle aged. However, some people are biased against all medication in a dogmatic way. So it's not for them either. But realistically, they're a minority.

Edited by Jingthing

we gotta remember that the reduced blood viscosity with daily aspirin that is an aide to circulation also results in reduced resistance to overall blood flow and reduces the load on the 'pump' (yer heart)...with a low (83mg) daily aspirin dose unless there are other significant problems I can't see what the fuss is about...daily exercise is always recommended as well and provides for a daily or thrice weekly activity that one wouldn't have otherwise...especially for those of us that just lay around and drink vodka and are just waitin' t'die...

• Like 1

If you want to take something for the heart and for a host of other things you would be far better off taking fish oil than aspirin.

Better idea: take BOTH.

I afree, been on both for over 10 years now based on a doctors recommendation after having a minor blood clot. No problems since.